? for the early morning workout peeps

Options
I love waking up at 5am and getting the gym out of the way before work, and I don't want to change it, but I don't have quite as much energy as I do when I workout in the afternoon. I get to sleep as early as I can, so I think this is food related.

Sometimes I have a small snack beforehand, but other days I just can't handle food that early.... Do you think making myself eat a high carb something will help? If so are some things better than others? I'm also wondering if I start eating heavier in the evening if that might help?

Replies

• Backagainbbg340
    Backagainbbg340 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest just pushing back dinner until later
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest just pushing back dinner until later

Ok. I'm gonna try that. Thanks!
  • muffintopmaven
    muffintopmaven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat in the morning before a workout either. If I know I need to eat something, I try half of a larabar or half of a banana. It's not much but it's enough.
  • runningstrong80
    runningstrong80 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi @cnbbnc. I have a morning routine as well. I do not eat before I workout (usually a 3 mile run or 30 minute strength training session). I'll drink water, but wait until after I workout to eat. I make myself a peanut butter sandwich or a bagel and a piece of fruit and take it with me to work. I'll usually be hungry by the time I'm done working out, and I can eat what I packed because it's easy food to eat on the run. Wonder if this might help.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:45 for a workout and I don't eat just water then I eat breakfast when I get to work. I'm usually real hungry by then. Sometimes I have something little before bed. I would workout in the afternoon but my toddler thinks I'm a jungle gym then so unless I don't get up in the morning I don't do it lol
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I wake up at 5am to exercise and I usually have a banana or Greek yogurt at least thirty minutes before and the rest of my breakfast after I finish the workout. The pre-workout snack is because I've noticed I will have more energy/can push myself farther that way. It has to be something small because I don't like to workout after eating. A friend of mine was also told by his personal trainer to do the same thing so it validated my own habits in my mind. But I also eat dinner around five o'clock.

Yes, I'd recommend something like Greek yogurt for you as well.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a very heavy dinner and then train fasted in the morning.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You could always try a pre-workout supplement, but if you don't think you can handle food that early then it might affect your stomach a bit too. If you're feeling really exhausted in the morning then I would at least try to get in a packet of oatmeal or an apple or something to get some carbs in before training to give you a bit of a boost.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I start my workout at 5am with no food beforehand, I can't stomach it. I have oats with berries and Greek yoghurt around 6.15am and then a substantial morning tea just before I start work at 9am. But I cope with that okay. I would try eating a bit more the night before if you're struggling, it might help. Or a banana before you work out.
  • mrstemoxtle
    mrstemoxtle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I get up at 3:30 to go to the gym I take my water bottle with me and I sometimes have some coffee but I eat a hard boiled egg and a thin slice of cheese and then I pack a pear or apple with me I do the elliptical 45-60 minutes then come back home I eat my fruit on the way home and then walk 3-5 miles
    Then I eat my breakfast.
    My dinner is at 5 every night and I find I have to have some form of carbs or I hit a brick wall and don't get a good workout in :)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I work out if I go early morning. Usually just a glass of water and a cup of coffee on the way. If I know I'm going to get up early I have a snack before bed time, usually a little peanut butter on bread or a serving of cheese and crackers to help me not feel so hungry/weak in the mornings. I used to be out the door by 5:30 3xs a week but lately with my schedule I've had to be more flexible. I miss it though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I wake up perky and go downhill from there, finishing my day in a blanket cocoon. So you may not learn as much from my example. I run in the morning at my peak energy. I'll drink a glass of water before I go out. A few times I've eaten beforehand but I felt weighted down.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee?

I get up at 5 and have a coffee, some water, and a protein bar before I walk to the gym (1/2 hr or so) which leaves me plenty energetic for my workout (probably better than in the afternoon, actually.)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a very heavy dinner and then train fasted in the morning.

Same.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I do a morning work out as well but I don't eat anything prior. Just a coffee and a lot of water. After my morning work out I eat breakfast. Usually follow that up with a protein shake before my afternoon workout. I fight in the evenings and can't do that with food in my stomach so eat a fairly heavy dinner after MMA. Go to bed full and comfortable and fast my morning workout again.
  • NatYapp1
    NatYapp1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am to workout before work and used to skip breakfast before the gym, but when I started seeing a PT he insisted I had something to eat beforehand, even if it was something small! So I now eat berries with Greek yoghurt and some seeds before the gym, and found t really helped, these days I can really tell the difference if I have to skip breakfast for any reason! I also have a snack after the gym, something with a few more carbs, also on the PT's recommendation :-)
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Do you drink coffee?

I get up at 5 and have a coffee, some water, and a protein bar before I walk to the gym (1/2 hr or so) which leaves me plenty energetic for my workout (probably better than in the afternoon, actually.)

Oh yeah! LOL! I drink a cup before I go. Sometimes I'll have a protein bar too, but like I said...other days not. I don't have much time to eat anyway, and I just can't get up earlier than 4:50am (that's early enough!) to sit with food. I am a morning person, but just can't get a good "jump" going that's gym worthy.

I'll try all these suggestions though! One of them has to get a fire lit under my *kitten*! :wink:
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    When I workout in the morning, I have an apple or a banana before I go. Then I have a smoothie when I get back home.

Been too tired to do that lately. I kinda hate sleeping, so I stay up late, and wake up early (but not early enough to go to the gym before work).
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Monday-Friday, I meet friends for a 50 minute walk at 6 AM. I drink water but do not eat breakfast. If I am going for a longer walk, or doing strength training, I eat something in between the walk and the other. On any given day, I eat the bulk of my calories after 5 pm, I finish out my day with snack and two cups of milk.