Struggling with binge/night eating as well as insatiable appetite

Options
Anyone else deal with late night eating and an insatiable appetite? I feel I can always keep eating. Food isn't even enjoyed anymore it is just something that occupies my stomach and mind.

Replies

• MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I looked at it too. If you're logging accurately, you're way over some days, way under on others. First try to get a handle on eating consistently and regularly throughout the day, every day.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If the last two days in your diary are indicative of your regular eating habits, then it looks to me like a cycle of binging and then restricting. I've been caught in that cycle before, and it's all bad.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your daily goal is high enough, you shouldn't be hungry because you're being overly restrictive like some. Try to even out your calories. As others have said, you're all over the place. Try to hit as close to your calorie goal every day as you can. A binge/restrict cycle is a very bad way to live. Many people find that it helps to plan and pre-log what they're going to eat for the day, leaving some room for a snack at the end of the day.
  • skwaats95
    skwaats95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I do not track on MFP yet. Those numbers were just toying around with my account. I logged meticulously with a food scale and such for 2 years and got very lean this way; recently I gave up logging and deleted my old account to eat "intuitively."
    **So ignore the foods logged in essentially**

During this intuitive period my BW has slowly increased and my lifts have all gone up. However, I MUST EAT at night a massive meal right before I go to bed regardless of how much food I have eaten during the day. My stomach capacity is unreal.

My maintenance is around 3,000 a day and I was going to shoot for around there with ~80g of fat and 175g of protein a day and fill the the remainder of my calories in with mostly carbs and whatever else I crave.

I was just wondering if there is any way to not have this urge to continue eating and eating and eating when I know I have had enough... but the stomach still has a lot more room.

Pretty much how do I eat in a more "balanced" manner, reduce stomach capacity, and get rid of the urge to HAVE TO eat a massive bed time meal (since this meal turns into a binge and ruins my progress).

GOALS:
    -- Slow weight gain (I lift)
    -- Last 3 days have been binge days all coming late at night
    -- not have the urge to eat late at night before sleep
    -- normal eating patterns

• skwaats95
    skwaats95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To add...
    I stopped logging because my relationship with food after losing a lot of weight and being so meticulous with my diet was poor. I am not sure if I should log since it is an easier way to track progress or if I should just continue to eat intuitively and normalize my relationship with food (which has done chit all for my night eating).
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Two quick thoughts..

Until you get worked out, learn to live with the feeling of needing more food. If you've eaten a reasonable amount for the day and still feel that urge to eat, do whatever you can to avoid giving in.

Also, check your hunger. When you feel like that, ask yourself if you're hungry enough to eat a bunch of veggies. If you are, go ahead and eat veggies! If not and you're only "hungry" for junk food, you're not truly hungry.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    skwaats95 wrote: »
    Anyone else deal with late night eating and an insatiable appetite? I feel I can always keep eating. Food isn't even enjoyed anymore it is just something that occupies my stomach and mind.

Have you tried spacing your meals out or trying different eating times @skwaats95?

Some people on here save the majority of their calories for night time eating.
  • DragoonKite
    DragoonKite Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, more fat less carbs. Keeps me feeling full longer. Also drink lots of water, I keep a gallon with me and drink it if I feel hungry late. If after that I'm still hungry, then I'll get something light to eat if I'm still going to be up for a while