Allergic Reaction - Vitamin D??

Options
pjgjnfl
pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
Has anyone had an allergic reaction to vitamin D supplements? My Dr. prescribed 2000 IUs a day. At first, I took something that I later learned had fish in it. Then I found a vegan variety. A few days (maybe a week) into the new vegan variety, I developed a rash on my face and neck. It was awful. Dr. prescribed Prednisone (yikes). Cleared it right up... only to reappear 2 days after finishing. I THOUGHT it was red macca - I had been adding to my smoothies. So - another round of Prednisone. Cleared it up. Stopped Macca. Still returned after med was complete.

I stopped taking the vitamin D supp - as an experiment - last week. I'm not totally "cleared up" yet... but markedly improved.

Has anyone had any reaction like this?

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally, but my little neice who was allergic to everything under the sun could not take any vitamin supplements. My mom can't either. She does that with vitamin C. She really has to even watch how much she eats, like one orange will do her in and give her sores all over her mouth and face.
  • js97206
    js97206 Posts: 15
    Options
    What is the brand? Not all brands are equal, the fillers some use are not good. But that's not to say that the vit D is not at fault. I have a couple different vegan brands I use. I can give you the names if you like. I take 4000 iu a day.

Jim
  • pjgjnfl
    Options
    Jim - thanks! It is Vitamin Code - Garden of life - vegan. Not SURE that's it... but looking likely. I go back to allergist on Friday - hope to learn something.
  • pjgjnfl
    Options
    Got word from Allergist - no food allergies. That's good news. Bring on the juice.

Vitamin D?? Hmm. Not sure.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Just to note that you really don't need a vitamin D supplement at all. If you are light skinned 10 minutes out in the sun daily gives your full daily dosage. Just a little FYI :)

I am noting that your doctor recommended a supplement. hmm.
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm on 2000 IU of Vit D every day, along with 1000 mg of Calcium, also MD prescribed. I am lucky enough to not have a reaction to it. Keep up with your allergist & MD to find the root cause. I hope they pinpoint the culprit. I've had light food allergies all my life' some I have outgrown, some I stay away from.
    Seems no matter how much sunshine I take in a day my body just no longer retains it well. I work in the medical field and have approached a number of MD's with the question of lack of sun/over use of sunscreen and they have all assured me that it is not necessarily due to either of those; some of us just don't retain the vitamin as well as we used to.