morning everyone let's talk plateaus

Options
what's classed as a plateau I've officially not lost in 3 weeks I gained in the middle week stayed the same the other 2 weeks I still have 2 stone to lose. I go by the tdee method with a deficit as I do body combat consistently every week. do I keep plugging away at it or do I start to look over my stats again and re look at my logging?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Plateau in weight loss is 6 or more weeks of no weight movement IF one has been consistent with diet and exercise. If you detoured in any way from consistency, then it's not a plateau. A plateau is actually quite hard to achieve.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nope, 3 weeks is not a plateau. That's just a normal month for me these days.

It's usually followed by a "whoosh", if you're weighing and logging your food accurately and eating at a deficit.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    OK thanks guys I guess I shall just
    keep plugging away at it and hopefully a loss will come soon I'm just the type of person to get motivation from seeing the scales going down without that I feel down in the dumps and question what I'm doing too easily I must have it tattooed on my for head that weight loss isn't linear lol
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A plateau is actually quite hard to achieve.

This should be made a quote in the front page of MFP.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42kgs (around 93lbs). I would ideally like to lose a bit more but have slowed down to small amounts over long periods - I am aware that I am reluctant to eat less and or eat differently. I exercise regularly. I'm not complaining just explaining how I have "plateaued". I eat roughly the same but to be honest would say I have eaten a little too much on some occasions. My general trend is still down and this seems fine to me. My last loss was 3 weeks ago and before that 3 months prior. I just don't give up.
    I'm 56 so I do eat less than someone younger but I am not deprived and I eat out regularly. I weigh and measure everything. I feel great.
  • gemmaw987
    gemmaw987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well my weigh in day is a Friday and Ive stayed the same AGAIN - about three weeks for me too. Im feeling down in the dumps, fed up, and feel like saying "forget it - ill have a takeaway tonight" .......... But i wont..... in the hope ill see a difference on the scales next week. Overall, i feel better in my self this week even if the scales arent saying what I hoped they would. Keep at it, we will get there in the end x
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,938 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Nope, 3 weeks is not a plateau. That's just a normal month for me these days.

It's usually followed by a "whoosh", if you're weighing and logging your food accurately and eating at a deficit.

Yep ... that's exactly how it is going for me right now too.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I went several weeks without a loss (actually saw a gain after drinking some salty bouillon for several days), but recently started seeing a small loss again.
    I believe that if one eats at a deficit, loss is inevitable, but since there are other factors involved such as salt and water, not completely predictable.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Plateau in weight loss is 6 or more weeks of no weight movement IF one has been consistent with diet and exercise. If you detoured in any way from consistency, then it's not a plateau. A plateau is actually quite hard to achieve.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Your activity level has to be consistent and you also have to have a calculable deficit for it to qualify as a plateau. Otherwise you are just eating at maintenance. I mean, if you lose 40lb, TDEE can drop by over 200 calories/day, combine that with slightly less daily activity (while diet and exercise remain fixed), and you can easily eliminate a reasonable deficit. It would take a long time to hit this point, but based on some posts on MFP I believe some people do.

I think the only way to can say you hit a plateau is to have metabolic adaptation kick in, at which point it wouldn't easily be explainable with an objective 3rd party view of your 24hr day. And metabolic adaptation shouldn't really happen unless you are eating at too aggressive of a deficit to start with.
  • shellygw
    shellygw Posts: 33 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Your activity level has to be consistent and you also have to have a calculable deficit for it to qualify as a plateau. Otherwise you are just eating at maintenance. I mean, if you lose 40lb, TDEE can drop by over 200 calories/day, combine that with slightly less daily activity (while diet and exercise remain fixed), and you can easily eliminate a reasonable deficit. It would take a long time to hit this point, but based on some posts on MFP I believe some people do.

I think the only way to can say you hit a plateau is to have metabolic adaptation kick in, at which point it wouldn't easily be explainable with an objective 3rd party view of your 24hr day. And metabolic adaptation shouldn't really happen unless you are eating at too aggressive of a deficit to start with.

I believe you have just explained why I was at a practical standstill for 3 weeks and it feels like a 'duh' moment for me. I hit 38 lost fairly quickly, my calorie total was lowered, and I was at a period of increased desk work resulting in less activity. I've not been able to exercise much due to a stress fracture in my foot and had not put the lowered calories/less activity together in my mind, although now I'm laughing at myself because it seems like common sense. I fought through it mentally and when I finally lost a pound you would've thought I'd hit the lottery. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I only lost the week after my period, so I had a 3 week stall every single month.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of those stalls. When I look at the overall trend though I get a very different picture. A few weeks is really not as bad as it seems.

6m.png

Notice the blue line that goes flat for several weeks in July and August... I thought I was at a standstill. But I wasn't. ;)
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone that's amazing
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have been at a standstill for 4 weeks. It is hard to keep going when the scale just won't move. Best of luck to you.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Whatever one callS it, I started looking for solutions. Some ideas I found were:

Drink more water.
    Intnsify workouts
    Drop calorie count in small increments

GOOD LUCK!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Whatever one callS it, I started looking for solutions. Some ideas I found were:

Drink more water.
    Intnsify workouts

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah people take a lot of crap for wanting to drop their calories when they "plateau", you know what, I think it's a good practice. I'm not saying go below 1200 or anything, but a small, slow drop in caloric intake can nip a "plateau"in the bud, which keeps up motivation, and if you're logging isn't totally flawless, it can make up for that a little. Great advice here
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    OK thanks guys I guess I shall just
    keep plugging away at it and hopefully a loss will come soon I'm just the type of person to get motivation from seeing the scales going down without that I feel down in the dumps and question what I'm doing too easily I must have it tattooed on my for head that weight loss isn't linear lol

I have to come on here and read it every day. I do! I try to read posts and remind myself that this can be a very long process, my body will do what it wants when it wants to and as long as I keep up on my end I know it will get there!

I had felt so discouraged at gaining yesterday only to see it all plus a half pound whoosh off. Be patient and stay the course! You wont regret it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Drink more water.
    Intnsify workouts

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah people take a lot of crap for wanting to drop their calories when they "plateau", you know what, I think it's a good practice. I'm not saying go below 1200 or anything, but a small, slow drop in caloric intake can nip a "plateau"in the bud, which keeps up motivation, and if you're logging isn't totally flawless, it can make up for that a little. Great advice here

It's just not necessary most of the time, that's the thing. It's very common for the body to just hold on to water weight for a couple weeks then drop it all at once, especially for women. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the calorie intake. I mean some months, the week after my period, I lost 4 pounds in 3 days. As I said above, I hit those stalls every month for 6 months (until I reached my current weight). I would have killed myself working out if I had to intensify my workouts every single time, or I would have ended up eating 1200 calories or something if I reduced my calories every time, and I would never have stuck to it.

So if you're a woman and your period is due soon, wait until a week after it ends, then re-evaluate. If it's not, and it's only been 3 weeks without loss, I'd still wait a couple weeks before changing anything.

Bottom line is that as long as you KNOW you're logging accurately and that you're not overestimating your activity level, and you know that you have a deficit... you will lose. It just takes patience.

But again... just IMO.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have been at a standstill for 4 weeks. It is hard to keep going when the scale just won't move. Best of luck to you.

Don't worry, there are other ways to gauge your progress!

-The mirror

-Comments from other people

-Tape measure measurements

-Photos

-Clothes fit

All of these could show changes when the scale appears to not move. There are lots of ways to see progress!