protien in coffee?

What kind of protien would you suggest adding to hot coffee? I typically drink it black but I thought I could get an extra protien.
Also, it ok to add to hot drinks without breaking down any of the nutrition? Yeah stupid question but I know some things lose nutritional value when heated.

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I have a cinnabun flavored protein mix and I add about 1/2 scoop that to a large coffee sometimes. It's pretty tasty. Sometimes i'll also do that but mix it with hot coco mix instead of coffee. I don't think the heat has any affect on the protein at all.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    I tried adding protein powder to coffee. It was absolutely disgusting
  • edroge
    edroge Posts: 8 Member
    I do ON milk chocolate protein powder (full scoop) + 1/4 cup of almond milk + 10oz coffee. It's like a protein mocha.

...my idea of what a mocha is is kind of sad...
  • edroge
    edroge Posts: 8 Member
    And I don't think the heat breaks down any of the nutritional elements. I Googled it a bit when I started making my drink and someone said "well you cook meat and it doesn't change how much protein is in it" and that sounded legit so I believed them. Very scientific.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edroge wrote: »
    I do ON milk chocolate protein powder (full scoop) + 1/4 cup of almond milk + 10oz coffee. It's like a protein mocha.

...my idea of what a mocha is is kind of sad...

lol. I've done this before too (also with Optimum Nutrition Double Milk Chocolate), and it's good!
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    I've added vanilla, chocolate, and even strawberry whey to mine. Some brands dissolve better than others though.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I've never found a brand that didn't get chunky and disgusting in hot liquid. Protein powder in iced coffee, though, is delicious.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    When I was cutting I used casein powder in coffee and found it worked better than whey. If you have a mini whisk just give it a go and you won't get chunks. I added walden farms maple syrup if they flavor wasn't sweet enough. It was a great way to get protein in my breakfast, and I didn't have to eat. Plus it ended up being less calories than my cream and sugar.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    I would say only do it if you can blend it somehow, mine was always chunky even with a whisk. But I also dont like the flavor of my chosen protein powder so I personally wouldn't unless I really enjoyed the flavor.

But I know plenty of people who make protein coffee drinks their breakfast. I may have to consider it soon too because I need more calories in the morning but I really enjoy not actually eating breakfast. I can't imagine heat will impact protein powders because many use them in recipes for pancakes and cookies :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I called the manufacturer of my protein powder and they said that the heat wont affect it. I use one of those hand immersion blenders to mix mine.
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I've never found a brand that didn't get chunky and disgusting in hot liquid. Protein powder in iced coffee, though, is delicious.

Yep, if you add the protein powder, there will be lumps.I love adding ON double rich chocolate or vanilla ice cream in iced americano.
  • arditarose
    I don't know guys. I really didn't get lumps with Gold Standard casein powder. In fact, it was pretty creamy.

With Quest whey I would get a little but I could usually work them out with a whisk.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I don't get lumps.
  • arditarose
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I don't get lumps.

Yeah, we don't get lumps
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    I don't get lumps either. If it sits it forms a kind of foamy layer on top, but it's easily stirred back in.
  • CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    I tried adding protein powder to coffee. It was absolutely disgusting

Lolll!!

I literally never tried.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I add gelatin.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    I make a desert type of thing a gf showed me

A scoop of Labrada chocolate protein. A half cup of coffee and some half and half. A pack or two of Splenda Stir in that spray can cool whip stuff until it gets a nice desert type consistency

Cappuccino nice creamy desert that just tastes way too good to be a healthy protein snack.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    I do this every morning. I mix my protein powder (Pure Protein is the brand I use) with a cup of Vanilla almond and coconut blend milk. Shake then add the coffee and shake. It's creamy and smooth every time. I use less milk sometimes but the milk is how I try to get my calcium in too.