Legs Swell after eating...why?

Options
I ate breakfast - tea with milk, yogurt, granola and blueberries. Why on earth do my jeans feel tighter now? Uncomfortably tighter. It's wasn't a high sodium meal. This is a common thing with me. I eat, and then my clothes feel tighter than they did when I first put them on. Mostly around my thighs. It's seems so bizzare....why??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    google: edema
    just to make sure this is not your condition
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/edema/basics/causes/con-20033037
    i do not like the ingredients in granola, some even have high fructose corn syrup

There is no association between high fructose corn syrup and swelling in the limbs that I'm aware of. What does this have to do with OP's question?
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's definitely mild (as in I don't think I have any serious health condition). I don't have high blood pressure or take any medication. My first thought was sodium, but it wasn't a high sodium meal. I can't see how sugar/hfcs would cause it.

Maybe it's the sitting at my desk part. That was listed as one of the causes.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    google: edema
    just to make sure this is not your condition
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/edema/basics/causes/con-20033037
    i do not like the ingredients in granola, some even have poison

• DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you're having a reaction to the dairy?

Have you noticed if there is a common food you're eating before this happens? (Dairy, gluten, yeast, salt, sugar, etc)
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    Is it possible that you're having a reaction to the dairy?

Have you noticed if there is a common food you're eating before this happens? (Dairy, gluten, yeast, salt, sugar, etc)

I haven't noticed a connection yet, but I'm going to start keeping track of what I eat and the swelling. It definitely doesn't happen after every meal. So, maybe there is a certain food that's causing it.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat

no it doesn't - a pound is a pound
  • LastMinuteMama
    edited November 2015
    Options

• eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I also thought of a reaction - not to dairy though (most dairy reactions are digestive or skin rashes) - but to the blueberries. Did you wash them in running water before consuming them? If you didn't you might have your culprit (crop pesticides can do weird things in the human body)... if you did wash them, I would be careful.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Have you tried measuring them before and after to see if it's perception? The mind does interesting things, which is why placebos work. I would say it's the sitting, but that's just me.
  • luckey88
    luckey88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another small thing to check or consider is to make sure you are well hydrated; sometimes we retain fluid when we don't drink enough.- Just a thought
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your stomach gets fuller when you eat. This will take up any slack in the abdominal area fabric and that could affect the thigh fabric, causing them to feel tighter.