What keeps You motivated.

Options
Hi there! Plain and simple I just want to know what keeps YOU motivated. I am struggling terribly to find it within me to start being healthy...but its always "on Monday" and Monday usually turns into the next monday and the next...and well thats how its been...so now I am aiming for this..."Monday". Anyways what keeps you going? What gives u that drive to hope on the treadmill etc...?

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    standing in front of a mirror naked, all it takes for me.

Then using the treadmill/going for a walk seems so simple
  • giantsfan99
    Options
    In my opinion...get off the treadmill, if the weather is nice..run outside enjoy the fresh air and view. If it is hard for you to run on paved pathways, find some fields or soft trails to run on. Secondly, maybe join a gym that offers group fitness classes with the membership. Attending a class where there is an instructor and a group of people with the same goal ( to exercise) is a big motivating factor. If you can surround yourself with people who have the same goals, it will definitely help encourage you. Whatever it is you do, hope you get on track this monday !
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I rarely have trouble staying motivated these days because of how healthy and energized I feel now that I've lost weight and built muscle and improved my overall fitness...but these things help: how great I feel after a run. how much better I will be able to run if I lose a few more pounds of fat. how good it feels to have people compliment on how healthy I look and ask me tips on eating right and exercising :) I love working out, but the rare times I don't feel motivated to get going, I tell myself ok I'll just run for 5 minutes...or just do half the spin class, or whatever it is--and I always end up running for longer, or completing the class...

talking to all my buddies on MFP who have lost weight in a healthy way and kept it off...and trading ideas among those of us who are struggling at times...

my music mixes that I keep changing up so I don't get bored and only listen to when I'm working out...

instead of always thinking of getting healthy and losing weight as something "you're gonna start on Monday" why not figure out one small, doable thing for your health that you can accomplish today? like, drink one more glass of water. walk a little bit in the neighborhood. eat one cookie instead of two. set goals for yourself, but don't set unrealistic goals and then beat yourself up for not attaining them.

good luck!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I moved last September and will be moving back this coming September. I've had a lot of things happen in my life since I left and have decided to respond to them all by making healthier choices. When I get back, I want to be healthier in every way. My appearance changes will just be a "sign" of sorts to people who matter.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    to begin with, my motivation was just to get out of the house for a bit of 'me' time most days. and get a bit fitter because i want to see my grandchildren and not die of a heart attack before my kids get old enough to have kids of their own. then i started to run, and my motivation became determination to be able to run to the end of the street (like 400metres). then it just grew. now my motivation is to run a half marathon in october, and to keep up with people and for the bus of shame NOT to get me (the bus of shame picks up all the people going too slow because they have to open the road by a certain time).
    and then, when i get there, we'll see what my motivation is then.

FWIW, alot of my motivation now comes from just knowing that i will feel better if i go for a run, so i go to feel better.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I actually have my highest weight everywhere. It's on a post-it on my computer screen at work. It's on my car steering wheel. I even tattooed it on the inside of my wrist, with the words "Never Again" printed underneath. It's my reminder of where I was, and where I never want to be again.
  • AdrianaAbrone82
    Options
    Accountability! And skinny pictures of back in the day. Surrounding myself with people who are genuine in their feelings about my healthy life choice and being happy. You can do this. Remind yourself in every moment of weakness that one: You deserve health and happiness. Two: Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels and Three: You can do this!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    my job
  • gel29
    gel29 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use a couple of things to keep me going :)

I have a document saved on my computer that has a couple of pictures of me at my worst (pretty close to me now tbh!), next to a couple of photos of me at my best. It helps remind me that if I was like that once, and not really so long ago either, then I can be like that again :) so if I'm feeling demotivated it helps to take a peek at that.

Secondly, I keep in mind something in the not so distant future that I'd really love to look great for, such as seeing someone who hasn't seen me in a little while, or a big social event (like the ball that's coming up for me in just 1 week! Eeek!). Because it's not too far away it's enough to give me a nudge, but it's never something too daunting that I just give up :)
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I read fitness magazines....success stories.....and thinking that is going to be me.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    people who DON'T believe in me. I am stubbourn , too . I just want to show them that I can . And of course , myself. I love beeing fit and thin , and not have to worry when I go out. My confidence level is to the stars everytime when I am losing another pound.Love that feeling!:))