Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Options
Hi, my name is Tammy Vaughn and I live in Michigan. I have a 9 yr old cat named Misty. I'm single (never married) and have lived in my same Apartment for 13 years. I was on SparkPeople but I think I like this better.

I have decided to drinking less soda and drink more water. I think I have done well today with only an 8 oz glass of Sprite Zero with Cranberry flavoring in it. Even though it's diet, the artificial sweeteners are not healthy for me. I'm going to try to log in everyday and keep track because I have Type 2 Diabetes and my sugars have been running mid to upper 120's.

I plan on walking at least 3 x a week (if not more) at Meijer. It is getting cold out now (been very windy for the last couple of days and I even saw a few flurries. I am not fond of winter! I walked my 20 minutes this morning. I am limited to exercising because of my back is so messed up. I'm going to try and get back to swimming also. That's better for me because it's easier on my joints.

I hope to get to know some of you on here. Have a great day!

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You look too young to be on here... ;)
  • TammyVaughn1
    TammyVaughn1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is my niece who I started babysitting her at 6 wks old, now she's almost 22 months old. I miss her! She was a lot of fun but wore me out!
  • Shane00000
    Shane00000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hi Tammy. I was able to loose 90 lbs using MFP, i hit a plateau about 8 months ago, fell off the program and started EMT school. Three nights a week of eating on the road and after class ice cream with my friends, and ive gained over 30 pounds back. Ive decided to get back on and start cutting weight again. Ive been a pescatarian for about 18 months now, and try really hard to eat clean food. I think i could help you as you start out here.
    Please feel free to add me.
  • TammyVaughn1
    TammyVaughn1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It is a beautiful day out! Yesterday wasn't such a good day for me but today is a new day. Started my day with Raisin Bran with Cranberries. A serving size is 1 1/4 cup. I divided that in half because of the carbohydrate count. For a full serving it is 50 grams of carbohydrates and with 1/2 c. milk (fat free lactose free) on it, it would've put that carb count too high for me. I would like to get a Fitbit but don't really have the money for it. Being on a fixed income stinks at times. Eventually, I'll be able to get one.

Shane, I will add you because I have heard of clean eating and I think that might be helpful. Thank you.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I just really love this title because this is all it takes. life long commitment, its an investment for yourself
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    a small advice... focus first with "cleaning up" one meal while staying in your allotted calories. and then slowly move to the rest.
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    It is my niece who I started babysitting her at 6 wks old, now she's almost 22 months old. I miss her! She was a lot of fun but wore me out!

I was guessing it might have been your own "throwback" photo from childhood. Cute kid.
  • GBrady43068
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There are things you can do even when poor. I couldn't afford to join a gym so I focused on running..took a "Run for God" class at church. (It's based on CouchTo5K which is a great way to go from non-runner to your first race.)

I didn't even have a smartphone when I started so I ran with a kitchen timer to do the run/walk intervals. (I've since got one and it's SO much better...but I bought a reconditioned one for $10 through my cell service..I'm still cheap :p )

If you DO have a smart phone, I highly suggest getting RunKeeper or a similar app to help you track your workout. It also helps motivate you with periodic challenges, you can add friends that use RunKeeper to help give you pushes, training plans for specific goals (I'm trying to train for a half marathon) and it will let you know each time you set some sort of personal record (longest distance, fastest time for a certain distance, most "hilly" run (it tracks elevation), etc. It can also track walking, cycling and other activities but I've only used run/walk thus far.