protein shake induced sickness?

Options
anyone else

I thought id give upping my protein another go and had a protein shake as my recovery snack after my run yesterday. Only one scoop, but urghhhhh i felt nauseous and my tummy felt horrible for about 2/3 hours afterwards. Theyve always made my tummy feel weird and slightly uncomfortable, but proper nausea was a bit new :|

anyone else? Is this a common side effect

it was PHD diet whey

Replies

• DenUil
    DenUil Posts: 6
    Options
    Do you have my any chance an allergy for lactose?

http://www.fitness-equipment-health.com/whey_protein_side_effects.html
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im generally fine with dairy products
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    People should be careful with protein drinks, especially those that are manufactured overseas. Consumer reports found that some of these may contain heavy metals (arsenic, lead, mercury, etc).

Some heavy metals can be toxic or carcinogenic.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/overview/index.htm

The other thing to note about supplements is that they are not regulated by the FDA. They do not have to conduct any testing to demonstrate that their products are safe or effective.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Some people have intolerance to whey....I'm one of them...did the same thing to me. :flowerforyou:
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I once got REALLY ill from a shake - my doctor said whey protein is the ultimate food for bacteria if it isn't stored correctly. Do you keep your protein sealed in a dry cool place?
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i just keep it in the cupboard.

It never feels like food poisoning sort of ill, more just like it doesnt really agree with me.

I did have a different protein shake before this one - a soya one, and it gave me really bad wind.

I wonder if its likely to be too much protein in one go i cant handle, or whether its the sweetners in it, or something else?
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    My current protein does the same thing to me. I tried mixing it with a bunch of different things to see if it would digest better and a tablespoon of peanut butter helps a lot, even though it makes the calorie count much higher. I also get less sick when i make protein pancakes with my powder (mix a scoop with an egg white and a tablespoon or so of water and whatever else you wanna mix in).

Different protein powders have different sweeteners and fillers, which can affect nausea. So maybe you just have to try different brands. I read a lot of reviews that Optimum Nutrition whey doesn't make people feel sick and lo and behold, when I got my hands on a sample, I was alright when I tried it. (And it tasted really good!)

Since I struggle with the same thing, I'm really curious what others have to say but I hope this helps!
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i got a couple of protein bars, wondering if theyd be gentler on the stomach than a shake, and i just had half of one as a snack, and now i feel sick again and my head feels swimmy.

The woman in the fitness and nutrition shop thinks its just too much protein in one go and its not necessary to supplement unless youre a bodybuilder and trying to bulk up.

Its funny because i can have a steak or chicken or whatever and take in more protein than that and i dont feel sick at all, but these supplements just dont seem to agree with me :(