Not sure of goal weight

Options
I am a 6ft male, 33 years old.

Last Sepetember I weighed in at 265 pounds and decided to start cycling to work. I managed to lose roughly 20 pounds over 3 months or so just by cycling 6 miles a day on weekdays, whilst still eating pizzas every friday night, etc.

In January I decided to get serious about losing weight so have been eating healthier and religiously tracking my calorie intake on MFP ever since. I have also recently started going to the gym as well as cycling.

This has been working and I am now currently at 189 pounds.

My problem is that I don't currently have a 'goal weight' as such and am not sure what I should aim for. According to the BMI charts, 184 would take me to the healthy range, and according to www.halls.md 182 would be the 'popular' weight for someone of my height.

I do still have a bit of a gut that I would like to lose, and I am pretty sure that when I reach 182 pounds (7 pounds away) that it is still going to be there.

What goal weight do other people of a similar age/height aim for?

Replies

• Busybusybee
    Busybusybee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A BMI of about 22 is considered to be "slim" - so find a BMI calculator and work out what weight that would be.

But to lose the gut you'll also need to do specific exercises to improve core strength - sit-ups/plank for example.

Hope that helps!
  • ChChCharlie
    Options
    I feel the same as you! Goal weight can be very confusing. My brother is your height and has lost about 50 pounds and is eating healthily and running 5 days a week. He still has a 'squidgy' area around his middle. As do I, must be our problem area. Our goal weights are lower than the weight we are planning on maintaining to try and shift the last bit of belly. Then try to build muscle on top which will probably cause the scale to go up a bit. Hope that makes sense?
  • fatman44
    fatman44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the useful input guys. I have been doing sit ups, planks and crunches already but I guess what I will maybe do is try to get down to say 172 - 175 and then up the amount of exercise to target the 'squdgy' middle area.

I am not really wanting to be too slim, just somewhere in the healthy range and without the gut that I have been carrying for years :)