Sugar?

Options
Ok so I will be cutting out the tabke sugar, so what's a good sugar that's actually good for you and want cause any damage as table sugar does, thanks!

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar.

do you mean you want to use a sweetner instead? What damage are you particularly thinking of.
  • MisskiyaXX
    Options
    Ive heard sweetner is just as bad as its makes you crave sugar and most has aspartme in
    Try Stevia from health food shops. Xylitol from health food shops or Agave nectar - natural sweetness if you really need it
  • lannahgirl
    lannahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A sweetner I should say and as far as damage, i'm trying to cut out/down the sugar we intake ( don't want to be a diabetic)
  • lannahgirl
    Options
    Ive heard sweetner is just as bad as its makes you crave sugar and most has aspartme in
    Try Stevia from health food shops. Xylitol from health food shops or Agave nectar - natural sweetness if you really need it

Thanks
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ok so I will be cutting out the tabke sugar, so what's a good sugar that's actually good for you and want cause any damage as table sugar does, thanks!

I am not really a fan of "whole wheat bread" and things like that. Use carbs that don't raise in the oven, such as pita bread. Don't buy loafs. Stick to brown rice, fruits, vegetables. A good thing for you to check out is the glycemic index. The lower the number the better the carb is for you.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    yeah wholewheat bread is a rubbish sweetner and makes your coffee all gloopy
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    There is no artificial sweetner thats actually good for you. Theyre good for cutting calories, but dont be thinking there are health benefits to them specifically.

Splenda is ok i found. Not got too bad an aftertaste.

Agave nectar is lower GI than normal sugar, but has just as many calories

a lot of people get on well with stevia
  • nimbi
    nimbi Posts: 27
    Options
    yeah wholewheat bread is a rubbish sweetner and makes your coffee all gloopy

I lol'd.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've switched to Stevia, but I have to say, it's taken me a while to get used to it.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i tried stevia tablets for my coffee once and i found them WAY too sweet. had to throw it away. maybe granulated sweetner would be easier to get the balance right, but its not easily available in the UK
  • lannahgirl
    Options
    I've switched to Stevia, but I have to say, it's taken me a while to get used to it.

Really how bad is the taste?
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    you might be ok with it. It can have a slightly bitter aftertaste though.
    I think all sweetners take some getting used to if youre used to proper sugar, but you DO get used to it
  • grandmanita
    grandmanita Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try Sugar in the Raw, natural turbinado sugar...you can buy the individual packets off of amazon for about $14.00 for 400 packets. My daughter sent me some for Mother's Day and that is all I use now. So much better for you.
  • lannahgirl
    Options
    Try Sugar in the Raw, natural turbinado sugar...you can buy the individual packets off of amazon for about $14.00 for 400 packets. My daughter sent me some for Mother's Day and that is all I use now. So much better for you.

Thanks I heard about Stevia in the raw......how's the taste?
  • lannahgirl
    Options
    I brought the Stevia in the raw and it's pretty good hubby thinks so too so I think we found our new sugar that's excatly good for us!