What odd things have surprised you about weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• rwc0n335
    rwc0n335 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This struck me as odd: I'm not especially far along either (33lbs down, 92 to go), but I have noticed that I can tell I've lost even while driving. Not sure if the car feels less burdened or if I feel nimbler in it somehow. It's a decent-sized crossover, so you wouldn't think 33lbs would make much difference to it, but the experience definitely feels different - in a good way!
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    How little space there is between the bottom of my rib cage to the top of my hips. How awesome it feels to put my hands in my hips...all bossy lady-like, and my fingers touch!

In short, dimensions. My bone structure is so much smaller than I thought when heavier.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How much better my feet feel. Every couple of weeks I would have to go at my heels with a belt sander to grind down callous. Okay, maybe not a belt sander, but you get the idea. Just 36 lbs down has made a world of difference.
  • Jiveli85
    Jiveli85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Banging my hip bones all the time. And recently I had to buy smaller bras. That was a bummer!
  • smkuhn1419
    smkuhn1419 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I was surprised about how much I was eating before I started weighing monitoring everything!!

I was actually just talking to my bf about that last night. I was portioning out my dinner and it was so little. Such an eye opener!
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    125goals wrote: »
    Is a saggy butt due to age or weightloss?

Lack of squats! Haha.

Sadly, my grocery bill is actually MORE than it was before, because I'm actually purchasing fresh produce instead of ramen noodles and boxed meals.

I'm surprised at how uncomfortable it is to sit on a hard surface like the steps. I'm still about 30lb away from my goal and the boniness is already bothersome :(

Yeah my butt always hurts if I sit on something too long.

I don't buy fresh produce anymore unless it's really cheap, or really need them for a recipe, because you just can't beat $1 frozen veggies (plus I don't have to worry about them going bad).

I wish I had the problem!! I'm 5ft 1 and my waist is 28 inches and hips are 39 at 136 lbs. Buying Jeans is impossible, if the fit my bum then they are huge at the waist and vice versa -.-
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    smkuhn1419 wrote: »
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I was surprised about how much I was eating before I started weighing monitoring everything!!

I was actually just talking to my bf about that last night. I was portioning out my dinner and it was so little. Such an eye opener!

I know!! And since not eating as much I realised that actually I don;t need that much food it was just a time (and thigh) filler!!
  • Yogamat316
    Yogamat316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How much sexier I feel being slender again. I thought I was relegated to a life of a dumpy middle aged woman - NOT!

^^ I love this!! I'll be 32 in a few months and after having my babies I jumped right into the mindset of "you're done having babies but you don't need to look like you stopped caring about yourself." I'm surprised by how sexy I feel losing the weight, and now I get to celebrate being a "yummy mummy" instead of hating my body, hating clothes, and feeling frumpy, which is definitely how I felt post-partum.
  • Yogamat316
    Yogamat316 Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For me, the biggest surprise is how easily the weight comes off if I TRULY commit myself to eating within my calorie range. Every time I "stall" it's been because I've eaten foods that I didn't allow for in my diary. I've been in a faux stall for the last month and a half, in fact, and am just now trying to get that back under control.

At least I don't gain more than a pound or two when this happens, I guess.

This has surprised me, too! I've hit a few mild "plateaus" but I can always attribute them to eating too many calories. Sometimes, that's ok- I was feeling hungry after workouts or I went on vacation, etc. When I tightened up my CICO, the weight started coming off again. This surprises me about how easy it is in that there are whole industries dedicated to making sure people keep thinking weight loss is some elaborate nutritional science best left to makers of supplement bars and powders to dictate. I used to be slightly skeptical of people who claimed they were losing weight by "just watching what they ate." THEY were the lucky ones, while I was one of those people who had to completely cut out meat, or buy meal replacement bars. Now I'm one of those people who say "I just watch what I eat," and would offer a look into my MFP diary, where I've logged daily and faithfully for 7+ months, and where you can clearly see I still enjoy my wine at night and sometimes my cookie for breakfast or my monthly drive-thru hamburger (the pms craves!!) to anyone who thinks I'm being blase. It's amazing what you can lose by just paying attention!!
  • reinhali
    reinhali Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The little bones. Ribs and collarbone and tiny little wrists. I feel like a bird.

^this. Never knew I had a collarbone before! And my watch band feels looser. Love that feeling!
  • lbrodnax83
    lbrodnax83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    that I thought I didn't like skinny jeans and lingerie. I honestly *thought* they were ridiculous, but now I find myself thinking..I want all the things. Somehow I had convinced myself to dislike everything I knew wouldn't work. I still have about 40 more lbs to go, but clothed I now feel very body confidant, unclothed..eh..thats where the other 40 are coming from.

OMFG THIS. I have a whole new appreciation for fashion. I'm not even close to goal yet, but now that I have an idea how small I'll be, I'm saving change to buy all the things I thought were stupid but really just disliked because I knew they'd look horrible on fat me.

THIS. ALL. THIS.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How airplane seats are getting bigger as my weight drops.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    How about how some days I feel so thin, and some days I feel not-so-thin, even when the scale says the same number.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,194 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    cat_lady15 wrote: »
    I'm quite new to this stuff and am still at the start of my journey (28lb down, 160ish to go!) but the one thing I've noticed is that I'm sleeping so much better at night and I feel amazing for it! I can't wait for start noticing all of the other things you guys mention :)

Agreed! I also think I've cut back on snoring.

I tried to put on a sweater yesterday that used to be very flattering and fit on me, thinking it would be a little lose but still work, and it's like a poncho! I'll add it to the ever-growing pile of donations. I still can't get over how much bigger my old clothes are after only a 30 pound difference.

Yep ... both of these.

My husband tells me that my alleged snoring has stopped.

And, on Thursday night I picked out a sweater I thought would be really nice for Friday, but when I put it on Friday morning, it looked awful ... all baggy and misshapen. So I quickly changed into something else I thought would be smaller and fitted, but even that hung like a poncho. I didn't have time to change again, so that's what I wore.

But I'm now wondering if I took some of these things to a laudromat and dried them in a hot drier whether that might improve them at all.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,194 Member
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    How much better my feet feel. Every couple of weeks I would have to go at my heels with a belt sander to grind down callous. Okay, maybe not a belt sander, but you get the idea. Just 36 lbs down has made a world of difference.

For me, it's an arthritis thing ... I have arthritis in my right foot. When I was heavier, I was in constant pain ... anything from a dull ache to sharp agony, and there was no way on earth I could wear anything remotely high heeled anymore. Then I started losing weight and one day I noticed that my foot didn't hurt. I tried boots with a bit of a heel, and they were OK. I still have some pain now and then, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My mouth looks bigger to me!

Also, when the seatbelt in my car rests on my collar bone it makes me want to gag. I always hated my collar bone or my shin bone being touched and my collar bone has been among the missing for years, I had forgot about it!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I only weigh 5 pounds less than I did when I got married, but I guess as I gained weight my finger stayed compressed under my rings. As I've lost weight my already compressed finger has shrunk. Last night I had to switch my rings around so my wedding ring would hold my engagement ring onto my finger since that seems to be the slightly snugger of the two. I guess I'll need to look into getting them re-sized.