Coffee! How much is too much?

Options
I really love my coffee! But how much is to much? 4 cups a day ok? Has anyone had a caffeine detox? Or do you not even need it? I would like natural energy eventually! ha.

Replies

• misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Too much coffee? Perish the thought!!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I like 2-3 cups a day.

Detox is a strange word for something that is good for you in moderation

Check out links to Alzheimer's and coffee. It seems to help. Still debated but interesting info.

• bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is such thing as too much anything. It sucks because I live off of coffee too I would say as long as it's not loaded with cream and sugar it should be okay. Also if you are keeping hydrated with water. 4 cups isn't so bad, but to just stop doing that it would be tough. Caffeine withdrawals are very real.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Too much coffee? Pfft. Never.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Coffee, FTW!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    This thread is going to make me cry. Lol! Coffee is the staple of my diet ! Lol
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You have had too much coffee when it interferes with your sleep or when you start acting like Tweak on South Park.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    coffee actually has a lot of nutritional benefits...it's all the stuff people put in it that can cause problems. I'd say too much coffee would be when you start acting like you're hopped up on crack...that's probably too much coffee.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think there's any such thing as too much coffee. ;)

But it doesn't bother me -- I don't get jittery or shaky, my BP isn't elevated, it doesn't (at the moment) cause any intestinal distress, I don't have any trouble sleeping, etc. If it does any of those things to someone then they're probably drinking too much for them.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    4 cups a day, unless they are huge, is not nearly too much. When I was doing my Masters I had a 24oz mug and would drink 4-6 a day. That was too much.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I was at about 6-8 cups a day, with sugar and cream/milk I felt it was a few too many calories. I started cutting back on the added milk and sugar (down to one and one). Still drank 6 cups a day throughout my loss.
    At maintenance, our coffee fund guy retired at work, no one wants to keep it running, so I am down to about 3-4 cups a day. Lucky coincidence.
    Would never give it up, but definitely was mindful of the calories. If I avoided drinking later than 5pm, it never kept me up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Pshaw

I drink 3-4 cups between 6.30 and 9am
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Coffee is natural energy.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I drink about 20 oz a day, and I add cream and splenda to it. It's usually anywhere from 50-100 cals a day and it has never hindered my weight loss.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You called?
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Stop before you get to this point:

j1exjtg6q5q6.gif
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    How do you detox from caffeine?

oh, yeah.

VHxZuUW.gif
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    fry_drinking_coffee_futurama.gif

There was a time when I was drinking about 60 ounces of coffee a day. (yay law school!) It started negatively affecting me. My stomach felt like it was full of acid all the time, and I was needing more and more to get the same effect. I had to go cold turkey for a couple of weeks and then slowly reintegrated it.

So now I limit to 2 cups a day. So yes I think there can be such a thing as too much coffee.
  • RalphtheWeber
    RalphtheWeber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I combined decaf with the caffeine coffee to reduce the amount of caffeine and I don't have the shakes. I use to drink pots of coffee and had to scale it back.yes there is a draw back. We all have to know our limits. But know where to draw the line.