10K training

Options
I have run a couple 5K races (about an 11.5 minute mile pace) and am registering for a 10K that's in October. Does anyone have any tips for making this distance transition, especially with the heat of summer? I am by no means a "real" runner. It seems much more mental than physical....

Replies

• WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I too started with doing 5 K (although I run these every day now) and then progressed to 10 K runs. What I basically did was slowly increase the distance I run, so after doing 5 k most mornings, once day simply decided to go for another 10 minutes longer, next few days regular again then one longer again. You have about 3 and 1/2 months left. That gives you about 14 weeks. If you get at least one longer run in every week (week one 6 k, week two 7k, etc) you should have easily reached a few ten K runs by September. I do no more than one 10 K per week to give me that endurance, rest of the time mostly regular 5K or 6 K runs. I avoid the summer heat by going early in the morning, around 5:30 am, Some times the TM also comes in handy to get some faster runs in or tougher inclines. Key is gradual. Be well.
  • damama1579
    Options
    awesome...i'm still working on the 5k...used to be a runner years ago and swore when i started this i would be again...Good Luck!!!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this programme?
    http://blog.c25kapp.com/about-bridge-to-10k/
    I'm in the last week of the C25K, having taken several years off running and have found it a great way to ease back in.B210K may help you make that transition gradually - I think it takes about 6 weeks. Good luck with it!
    L.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I'm interested in the replies as well. End of March when I started I could barely run 1/4 mile. Now I've done as much as 4 on the treadmill @ 12mpm. I'm working on taking it outside and have signed up for a 10K on Oct 1st. That distance still seems very crazy to me since I have never been a runner. Would be interested to see how others have gotten to 10K.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try this www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/your-first-10k-five-easy-steps/6843-3.html#historysub

I would also recommend getting a HRM with GPS if you can and maybe subscribe to Runkeeper /Map my Run. Just like MFP it's very motivtional to see your runs with both distance and speed increase.

Personally I prefer running off road, less stress on the joints, varied terrain works your body harder and I always try to throw in some hills.

Vary your routes, if you have a regular route do it in reverse.
    Vary the type of training e.g. one long run, one interval run and one speed run
    10k is starting to be a serious distance, make sure you have the right footwear - normal gym shoes aren't necessarily appropriate, go to a running shop and they can assess your gait. If you don't you could be heading for a whole world of pain.
  • jengratto
    jengratto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your suggestions and encouragement. Especially love the 'Bridge to 10K' site, great idea for an app. Happy running!