Extreme Weightloss show

Options
I had recorded Extreme Weightloss a few weeks ago and just got a chance to watch it this morning. I think it's wonderful that the girl lost that much weight but the average joe doesn't have the resources for a trip to Greece or the skin removal surgery in their journey. ALSO my biggest problem is yeah he taught her how to exercise (which is only half the battle) and showed her how to eat but they never got to the mental part of how she got so big. The show should have really focused more on nutrition in my humble opinion too. I know how to exercise, I know what to eat but what I don't know is what makes me reach for that candy bar instead of something healthy. Is it self-control...I don't think so. It is something mental inside me that says that will bring me more comfort and more joy and than something healthy. It is but how do you get over that part? I thought maybe I need to visit a nutritionist...that won't really help because I do know how to eat, I just choose not to. So do I need therapy?? My husband would probably say I do....lol! I feel like I'm at a crossroads where I can continue my journey of a healthy lifestyle or revert back to my old habits. Which is the pattern that most of us have done our entire lives.

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Amanda,
    I have been going to my current therapist for a few years and although I started seeing him for a totally different issue, it's turning out that everything is so intertwined and we keep getting back to stuff that happened in my childhood relating to my body/weight. It may take a while to find a therapist with whom you "click," but I definitely think it's worth it--as long as you're willing to do serious, hard work. I'm totally wiped after what I consider the best sessions. Feel free to ask any questions if you have them!
    -LP
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the sentiment that everyone who is overweight has some sort of 'issues' that need to be dealt with, I am sure a lot do - but shows like the biggest loser where they really push this angle and purposefully select people for the show who have an interesting back story give the wrong impression.

Sometimes people are overweight simply because they are - they eat too much, they never learned about nutrition, they don't work out or they are just lazy etc.

So any show that doesn't bang on and on about the emotional side of weight loss and just get's on with it is fine by me :)
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I dont necessarily think that everyone that is overweight is so because of an emotional problem. Personally I believe I am overweight because after having my kids, I just never worked to get the weight off. I would rather just eat, eat, eat, and eat some more. And of course I just kept gaining. I could say it was because I was in a bad marriage so thus I didnt care about myself but I honestly dont think that is the issue. Its simply because I liked to eat and never cared to exercise or take care of myself. Now well into my 30's, I finally care. I care for 2 reasons. The most important being my mom is going to need one of my kidneys and I cant, at this weight, give her one. And 2, I am tired of being overweight, shopping in the "big" dept, not being able to get out and run around with the kids because I am out of breath. Its time to get healthy once and for all.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I dont necessarily think that everyone that is overweight is so because of an emotional problem. Personally I believe I am overweight because after having my kids, I just never worked to get the weight off. I would rather just eat, eat, eat, and eat some more. And of course I just kept gaining. I could say it was because I was in a bad marriage so thus I didnt care about myself but I honestly dont think that is the issue. Its simply because I liked to eat and never cared to exercise or take care of myself. Now well into my 30's, I finally care. I care for 2 reasons. The most important being my mom is going to need one of my kidneys and I cant, at this weight, give her one. And 2, I am tired of being overweight, shopping in the "big" dept, not being able to get out and run around with the kids because I am out of breath. Its time to get healthy once and for all.

I do think some of it is I just like to eat and eat all foods...not just the unhealthy ones. Exercise is not the issue. I love to exercise.

Hope you reach your goal and your mom gets better soon!!!!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    After watching the first show, I could see there were personal and family issues that they totally didn't address. One of the first comments she made was that she was the only fat person in the family...and the promo was all about how the rest of the family did't support her. It left me with the impression that I was going to see a whole family of athletes. Hello????? She may have been by far the biggest person there, but there wasn't ONE family member who wasn't seriously overweight!!!! I was astounded that her mother walked out when they were cleaning out the kitchen. It was most upsetting that the poor girl is under the perception that this is all on her. I hope what she got that we didn't see was someone helping her to see that she could overcome her own families attitude!!!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    There is always a mind/body connection. Even if we are unconscious of it.
  • Amandac6772
    Options
    After watching the first show, I could see there were personal and family issues that they totally didn't address. One of the first comments she made was that she was the only fat person in the family...and the promo was all about how the rest of the family did't support her. It left me with the impression that I was going to see a whole family of athletes. Hello????? She may have been by far the biggest person there, but there wasn't ONE family member who wasn't seriously overweight!!!! I was astounded that her mother walked out when they were cleaning out the kitchen. It was most upsetting that the poor girl is under the perception that this is all on her. I hope what she got that we didn't see was someone helping her to see that she could overcome her own families attitude!!!

Yeah that is my whole point. To an undeducated viewer you would think that is all there is too it but it goes much deeper. While I know I am not extremely overweight nor have I ever been I've teetered close to the obese category more years than I want to think about. My family on the other hand has not and can eat whatever they want. My sisters are both 5 ft 8 and I'm 5 ft 1.
  • Amandac6772
    Options
    There is always a mind/body connection. Even if we are unconscious of it.

Exactly!
  • onefiveoh
    onefiveoh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just don't expect the show to try and heal overweight people who are watching. Unfortunately, as with all TV shows, they need to draw in as many viewers as possible which means they are not targeting overweight people with issues- they are targeting the masses and the masses just want drama, excitement, images of hardly-covered fat bodies and images of radical change. It is all about the bottom line and I don't think that is right or wrong- it just is. Besides, I think the reasons behind weight gain are too varied for them to be addressed in an hour show in any depth that would be helpful anyway. That's just my 2 cents!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    There's a great book out by neurosurgeon Dr. Daniel Amen called "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body." He has done numerous brain scans on all kinds of people, and this particular book focuses on the brain and weight. He expected to see one common pattern for overweight and obese people, but says there are at least FIVE different brain patterns for overweight & obese people. He says you can figure out your brain type fairly easy from his book. If you really want good information on the psychological/emotional part of it, this would be a good place to start.
  • jessical30
    jessical30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I am so with you on this one. I wasnt as big as I am now before I had my kids. Plus I really didnt care how I looked I just loved all the greasy fatty foods. Another thing for me is I'm married and I am very confrontable with my husband he loves me for me and dosent mind that I'm a little "fluffy" LOL but I want to change for myself for me and for me to be able to feel and look sexy.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    To get all the elements into the show it would have to be way longer than an hour. I think the main focus is eat right and exercise. It is a whole years process but editing etc. The show that is more like everyone wants to see is Ruby it goes into her life in detail. An hour is not lonf enough they want to show fat and skinny. At least they are talking about loose skin in which the biggest loser does not