Lumbar Spinal Fusion Surgery Recovery Support Needed

Options
I have been on and off MyFitness Pal for several years and I Love It!
With that said, I am back again this time looking for Surgery Recovery Support Pals. I will be having fusion surgery of the L1 & L2 vertabrae on December 8th. If there is a discussion group for back surgery recovery I would love to join. If not anyone going through anything similar I would Love to be friends so we can encourage each other over the next year. I have been told I will be in a brace for six weeks or more and the physical therapy will last over six months. Tracking my physical therapy and foods for weight loss during this time will be a great help to my recovery process. Anyone interested????? Feel free to friend me :)
Plus Im scared to death but cant admit that to my family!

Replies

• ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also have severe back issues and am trying to lose weight so I can have my back taken care of in the future. I don't know if there is a surgery recovery group. If not, maybe starting one would be a good idea. In the mean time I would like to become friends with you if your interested.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hello there. I had a 2-level fusion 12 years ago, and a partial diskectomy and laminectomy 5 years ago. I have two facets trapped under the top two screws of the fusion that are now flaring and causing me to be completely disabled yet again.
    Please feel free to ask me any questions, either here in this thread, or send me a PM if you want to get more details you don't want to share here.
    I've successfully lost nearly 40 pounds and kept it off for more than 2 years, without being able to exercise at all for at least 1/2 of the time.
    There really is no secret to losing or keeping off weight without exercise; it's just a matter of keeping your calorie intake below your calorie goal. If you're quite sedentary, like we must be when going through a lot of this, you just have a lower calorie goal. Logging and tracking food intake is the best way to do this. I weigh all of my food on a food scale so I know exactly how much I am eating.
  • jachmannjachmanngmailcom2015
    Options
    Hi there. I have not seen any support groups on MFP but I also had a C1&C2 fusion last year following a car accident. It is very scary but follow doctor's orders for the time you are in the brace, get good shoes and start walking daily soon as the brace comes off. After a few weeks you should be able to start some strength training to build bone and muscle mass. Just really take it slow cause you don't want to hurt your back.
    Watch your calorie intake - I gained nearly 30 lbs which I'm struggling to lose!
    Feel free to add me as a friend as well.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I have not seen any support groups on MFP but I also had a C1&C2 fusion last year following a car accident. It is very scary but follow doctor's orders for the time you are in the brace, get good shoes and start walking daily soon as the brace comes off. After a few weeks you should be able to start some strength training to build bone and muscle mass. Just really take it slow cause you don't want to hurt your back.
    Watch your calorie intake - I gained nearly 30 lbs which I'm struggling to lose!
    Feel free to add me as a friend as well.

This isn't the same with lumbar fusions. The walking is usually started much more slowly, and increased slowly. Lumbar disk injuries and fusion surgeries usually result in weight lifting restrictions, and all of this should only be done per the instructions of the doctor and/or a physical therapist.

As I said before, weight loss and maintenance does not require any exercise.
  • Kathikay54
    Kathikay54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Susay! I had S1 L5 surgery last sept and lost almost 30 pounds while recovering. The pain meds made sick but I needed them to recover. The bad news is I've gained 20 back! Wishing I would have logged my food when I started getting my appetite back. You are so smart to be taking care of this now. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow i am so happy to hear from others in similar situations. My Fitness app has not been workin to great so i had to reinstall. So now i can properly answer :)
    My plan is to follow the doctors plan for me. I have other health issues (UC) and really want to do this by the book. I have complere confidence in my nuerosurgeon, he is a sports med doc here in Houston.

Im just having trouble keeping my spirits up. My children are very busy raising kids and focusing on thier carreers, so i get a text or drive by once in a while. My husband is working out of town and his support is sporadic :). He has had to make alot of adjustments to care for me and I know, as a human being, it can be challenging.

I dont want to be dependant on anyone. I have always worked sometines in the early years 2 or 3 jobs at a time. Raised 2 of my children alone (along with 3 other children I Love as my own)... when i met my husband his 2 boys were still at home in grade school. So it was easy to fall in Love with all three. I have taken carebof everyone and everything for so long... now i spend my days sitting in a chair watching the clock tick!

Whine whine wawa ... I know this will pass.... i pray this will pass!

Well thats a little more about me...probably more tgsn anyone wants to know.

I will add each of you as a friend on My Fit... accept if you like!

Thank you all ....
  • AK121730
    AK121730 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am so excited to find this group. I am in week 4 of recovery from a L2-S1 Lyman at fusion. Happy to report that the nerve damage was reversed! Now the challenge is being a patient patient while I heal. The fitness nut in me is going nuts without my heart racing HIITs.