Lost 11kgs and still a long way to go

Options
jen_cheung11
jen_cheung11 Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hiya,

This post is to support my fellow peeps on here with my own story. Hopefully this will inspire you but my method might not work for everyone. Just to clarify, this is purely based on diet and exercise without any supplements.

I'm 22 this year and like most young girls out there, I have always have confident issues since young. My friends often described me as "cute" but we all know deep down what they actually meant. I was an overweight baby and god knows how my mum coped with that

Replies

• jen_cheung11
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ... and since then, I have always blamed my parents for my bad habits on my diet. I am not a fussy eater and trust me...I can eat a lot!

Exactly a year ago, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought "who am I kidding, I always have the choice". I have the choice to have donuts, sweets, crisps, pasta, rice etc. With that being said, I'm not saying they're all bad. It's about finding the balance inbetween. That's when I realised I need to grow up and take care of "my own body". At that moment, I thought I have been overweight for 21 years of my life and therefore gave myself a realistic goal of a year to get to my ideal weight. In my mind, my mini me was encouraging me "Come one, a year out of 21 years is nothing". This is how I started :)

I was a beginner on everything, and I know I need to change my whole concept on food. Therefore, I started healthy eating a year ago and started gyming half a year ago. It's so true that successful weight loss is about 80% diet and 20% exercise. Not going to lie, it was not easy! For the first 2 months, I trained my body to eat in smaller portions with lots of veg. And since then, I have to eat veg in every meal. My worst temptation at first was eating out with my friends and families. I personally felt like a mental torture watching them having steaks and chips when I was munching on my chicken salad. However, at the back of my mind I know it will be worth it. As I said, I was a beginner so I started counting the calories with this App and I advanced it to nutrition within the foods. This was working well for the first 6 months but my body got used to the diet and I struggled to loose weight.

This is when I started exercising/gyming, I then start noticing a significant difference. Friends often asked me where do I find all these motivations. I kept telling them, "waking up and getting to the gym is the hardest part of gyming ". Then they asked if I would feel ashamed being surrounded by all those people with beautiful bodies. I then tell them...
    First, no one actually born with a body like that. And they all have worked very hard to get to where they're now.
    Second, they're so wrong with their fantasy on the gym. It's not all about people with fit bodies walking around topless. There're variety of people, from 18 to 80. This is not a joke, I once saw a 80 year old man walking on a treadmill and that's what inspired me.
    Lastly, you do your thing and shouldn't care about what others say about you. If they wanted to be immature and judge you, you can't stop them anyways so why bother. People like that will always be in your life and you have learn how to deal with that.
    ...getting back to my story, I started exploring how different machines work on different part of the body. As a girl, I felt like all the girl out there should try lifting instead of only working on cardio. If you really do care about your body and want to make a change, you need to get the image of "looking perfect" in the gym out of your mind. In fact, it's the opposite!

I am not a expert and I still have a lot to learn but I know im getting there. I can post the details about my gym/diet routine if you guys are interested. I'm going to end this post with my favourite quotes when I feel like giving up in the gym... " sweats are fat crying
  • jen_cheung11
    Options
    ..." You only live once"..."you never know when will be your last day so I would rather die trying"

If you actually read this far, I really appreciated it!! I'm also sorry about all the bad grammar because English is not my first language.
    Jen xx
  • drinapatt
    drinapatt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting Jen. Good for you for starting this journey. I'm sure many younger folks will identify with your post (and older folks too- up to 80 even!).
  • jen_cheung11
    Options
    Thanks guys for reading it! Feel so motivated when someone else is in the same boat :) x
  • Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Your do good, this site is awesome. 46kg lighter and enjoying life. Good luck
  • nalinisooknanan
    nalinisooknanan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! You are amazing!
  • jen_cheung11
    Options
    Your do good, this site is awesome. 46kg lighter and enjoying life. Good luck

46kg! Wow
  • jen_cheung11
    Options
    Awesome story! You are amazing!

Aww.. Thanks!!
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Jen, thank you for telling us your unfolding story. You are realistic about the process, and that makes it easier for us, too, to think maybe we can find our respective ways to being healthier
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work
  • jen_cheung11
    Options
    Jen, thank you for telling us your unfolding story. You are realistic about the process, and that makes it easier for us, too, to think maybe we can find our respective ways to being healthier
    Keep up the good work

Thanks guys ;)