Pre-diabetic and on a low-fat diet....anyone else

Options
I am new to this forum stuff, so I apologize if this isn't the correct place to write this. I have been diagnosed as Pre-diabetic and my doctor referred me to take a class, "YMCA Diabetic Prevetion Program", which is basically a low-fat diet and exercise. I'm just wondering if there are others out there with the same situation and want to be "pals".

Replies

• hannaf84
    hannaf84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I was just diagnosed on Tuesday as pre diabetic! :(
  • gee_zy
    gee_zy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm borderline pre diabetic. I exercise 5-6 times a week for almost 2 years (mainly weight training). I'm shocked but anyway... let's add each other for encouragement! Looking to tweak macros. Public diary!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You might want to do some research about what elevates blood glucose. Hint: It isn't fat. (I was diagnosed "somewhere on the spectrum of diabetes" in early October with an A1C of 7.2. I keep my net carbs below 50 (probably about what you were told to eat in a day), my protein at a level sufficient to maintain my lean body mass (around 63 grams/day), and the remainder of my calories come from fat. My blood glucose was below 100 all day yesterday, and my average for the last 2 weeks has been 104 (testingn ~4x/dy) - and has only gone over 140 five times since 3 days after diagnosis - while testing a new food (twice for the same food - it bumped it high enough that two tests in a row were above 140).

I don't know if I will end up with a low carb, moderate protein diet forever - but after research it is what makes most sense to me for right now. I'm pretty sure I will end up eating fewer carbs long term than either most doctors or the ADA recommend. My diary is open, if you feel like seeing what I'm eating.

Just food for thought, since you're on the same journey I'm on.