Avocado Tuna Salad

Options
Spliner1969
Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
Been eating a lot of tuna for lunch these days.. low calorie and high protein. Was getting burned out until I discovered Avocado instead of Mayo and fell in love. Try this out:

1 Can Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water (drained) 4oz total (100-120ish calories)
1/2 Medium Ripe Avocado (get the soft ones, they work best and are creamier) (120ish calories)
2-3 tbs pickle relish (I use Dave's Signature Spicy Relish 3TBSP) (15-45 calories)
1 TBSP Finely Chopped red onion (optional) (1-5 calories)
1 TBSP Chopped Cilantro (like 0 calories.. 1 I guess)
1/4-1/2 TSP Lowery's Lemon Pepper (0 calories)

Mash the Avocado first with a fork, mix the rest in. No need for Mayo or added salt. About 300 calories with around 30g Protein. You can do less sodium if you can find low sodium pickle relish, or leave it out all together and/or replace it with something else. I eat it on a couple pieces of toast for lunch 45 calorie Sarah Lee Multi-Grain bread. If you're on a lower calorie diet, make it into two meals, each under 200 cals. The Avocado makes it green-ish which is neat, but it's very very creamy and very tasty.

;)

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • KitCat_87
    KitCat_87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good! Will have to try it!
  • JenellePL
    JenellePL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this recipe! Can't wait to try it!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it with avocado before, but I do like to use Greek Yogurt in place of mayo in my tuna salad. I will have to give your recipe a try tomorrow, thanks for sharing!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    avocado is also awesome with egg salad instead of mayo
  • bj5texas
    bj5texas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    avocado is also awesome with egg salad instead of mayo

Now there's an idea. Will have to give that a try!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I love to mix avocado, tuna, and cottage cheese and sprinkle with greek seasoning. For a change of pace, you can use the packaged crab.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Nice. I'll try that. Got tired of it the old way but purchased more tuna yesterday for next week. I'll try the cottage cheese. What type of Greek seasoning do you use?
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've heard about mixing tuna with avocado but haven't tried it yet. I have one of the dark-green darlings at home and must give it a try soon... maybe the next time one goes a little too soft on me. The onions and lemon pepper sound sound great.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I made it a few weeks ago. We liked it !!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Omg this sounds delicious. Thank you!
  • SettingUpUsernames
    Options
    That sounds delicious! When I go to Walmart next, I'll have to get an avocado! What a great idea of yours!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Have to try this! Ty
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This sounds good, does it stay green in the fridge ? I have a ton of avocado at home , was just looking what to make out of it. But one medium size avocado is 250 cal and I usually push myself to eat it because I hate when it gets brown
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about it turning brown, add a little lemon juice or lime juice (lime would probably be better with the cilantro).

I'm also a fan of tuna and cannellini beans together. Try this:

Two small containers of the chunk white tuna
    One can of cannellini beans
    One bulb of green onions, chopped down to the white
    About a tablespoon of lemon juice
    Olive oil to flavor
    Salt and pepper to flavor

I LOVE that recipe on Triscuits or even just forking it out of the bowl! That recipe makes two servings. It's so easy and SO tasty. I may add avocado to it the next time I make it...
  • racheltaylor1021
    racheltaylor1021 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this today! Thanks!
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    I generally cut one avocado up for lunch, use half in my tuna salad, then eat the other half in/with/aside my dinner for more healthy fats. Eating the 2nd half (wrapped in plastic in the fridge) within a few hours keeps it from going brown. The next day, yes, even with juice it'll start to brown. Sometimes though if I have a half one left and I don't want to eat it for dinner, I'll use it in a small batch of guacamole. I use plain nonfat greek yogurt, the half avacado, some lime juice, cilantro, chop up some tamed jalapenos (find those in jars near the pickles in the store, they aren't as spicy), add those in with cumin, salt and pepper.. etc. Whatever you like. It ends up very low calorie and wrapped immediately with plastic wrap stays fresh until the next day for a snack. I'll find my recipe for it and post it separately when I get the chance. I eat it with celery sticks, carrot sticks, or zucchini or other vegetable slices for a low calorie, high protein, omega-3 filled snack!
  • droidrunner
    droidrunner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Might just have this with spinach for lunches. What a great idea.
  • katzvxen
    katzvxen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    great idea! will def try!