Running

Who here actually enjoys cardio? I LOVE to run, however, my shins do not. I can run about a mile before I get intense pain, even though I run through it. I have bought KY tape to have on them to help when I run, which does help, but it still is not fun.

So who else likes to run?

Replies

• Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    I DO!! Im just getting back into it after a dew years of laziness!!
    Have you gone to a good running store and got fitted for shoes? That makes a huge difference, I use to have a lot of problems with shin splints then I got fitted for the right shoes for me and it made a big difference. Also increading your milage too fast can cause it!! I try and run at least once day a week on the grass and stay off the concrete as much as I can.
  • I'm a runner. It's my therapy.
    I completely agree with the previous poster about getting properly fitted for shoes. It makes a world of difference in avoiding shin splints and other injuries
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I love cardio, especially jogging. I jog on my treadmill about 6 times a week and run a 5k charity race monthly. It's my alone time to think and my relaxation time. I don't know what I'd do without it actually.
  • SFCStank
    SFCStank Posts: 25 Member
    Can't echo getting fitted for shoes by a reputable running shoe store enough (Read: NOT foot locker etc) and to spring board on it; you get what you pay for. Any money you try to save on running shoes, you'll make up with doctor bills. Look up a running club in your area and ask them who they suggest. Also running shoes also wear out well before they look like they are worn out.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Love running now! Enjoy the fresh air and all.
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    I love running! I'm heading to half marathon #13 this weekend-in VEGAS!!

Shin splints are almost always caused by too much too soon. It takes a while for your musculoskeletal system to adapt to the demand of all the pounding. Good shoes, lots of stretching and foam rolling, and gradually increasing mileage will help.
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    mhgf9zy1r3ad.jpeg

This explains it perfectly for me.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Who here actually enjoys cardio? I LOVE to run, however, my shins do not. I can run about a mile before I get intense pain, even though I run through it. I have bought KY tape to have on them to help when I run, which does help, but it still is not fun.

I love to run, I just lost about 40lbs walking and swimming so I could be light enough to run. However I keep getting injured, apparently I landed too hard Monday night and now I have runners knee. Its messing with my bag and my legs, but I ran again last night trying to push through it. Came to far to give up
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Love, love, love running--it's like therapy for me.

As others have mentioned, definitely get fitted for the right shoes and take it slow to begin (short mileage, slow pace) and you'll be on your way!
  • KaiUneeda
    KaiUneeda Posts: 46 Member
    I agree about the therapy aspect. It shuts my brain off and I can just focus on my music, and what is in front of me. I used to only run a mile at a time. I then downloaded an app for my phone and was testing it out when I realized I had ran over 3 miles. I only had to stop twice to stretch since I did not plan on running that long. I decided I was going to train for an upcoming 5k. I stretched super long and ended up running it non-stop without any issues, and at a decent time. I have been researching upcoming running events and oddly enough am going to go get fitted for proper running shoes today.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    I enjoy running, did my first sub -4 hr marathon this year and was over the moon. Will probably have another go next May to see if I can better my time. Shin problems affected me a lot but I found doing a lot of Achilles, calf, foot and hamstring stretches helped significantly. I would recommend Yoga if you are looking to put in a lot of distance, otherwise I would recommend Yoga to pretty much everyone:D Feel free to add me.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    I love running... its my me time.. gets me aways from everything for a while.. just my music the road and me... like others have said good shoes will help with shin splints..
  • teleturn
    teleturn Posts: 4 Member
    Foot injury kept me from running for almost half a year since the last trail race/run in April. I missed it so much! Road or trail running is great way for me to get some clear the mind time. I'm back running, taking it slow and not really keeping track of pace, distance etc. just going with how I feel., hopefully it will keep me running for a long time. Have you read "Ready to Run" don't remember the author... Or the "cool impossible" ? Great books for getting the feet, legs and joints ready for running. I'm in the process to do some of the workouts to get myself ready. Good luck with your running career!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I enjoy running too! I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of races, so I complete virtual races a lot to keep motivated to run. I definitely agree with others that having properly fitted shoes for you will make a big difference, as well as proper stretching and not increasing your mileage too quick. I hope you get the shin splints taken care of and can be back to running soon.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

I'm an avid runner. Be sure to warm up prior to running and afterward, and make sure you are properly fitted for shoes. You should not have to run in pain.