Mayo and pickle juice ... share your food tricks :-)

Options
Runagain_4
Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
I don't usually eat mayo, but when I do - let's say for a tuna salad sandwich, I've started mixing in a Tbsp of dill pickle juice (I just save the juice once we're done with the pickles) with a Tbsp of Hellmann's. It doubles the portion of creaminess and gives my sandwich a little more kick for zero calories.
Does anyone have any tricks they can share on getting more flavour or more quantity for very little added calories?

Replies

• magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I add low fat cottage cheese to tuna and use less mayo. I add broccoli slaw to fried rice to bulk it up and add more veggies.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I blend Greek yogurt (plain) with 1/2 the suggested amount of mayo flavor it with spices appropriate to the recipe...Makes a nice low(er) calorie dressing
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like all these ideas. For muffins and quick breads I replace the 1/3 cup oil with 1/4 cup apple sauce and a tablespoon of oil.
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    when I'm baking cheesecakes for special occasions I take out about 1/3 of the cream cheese and replace with the same amount of rinsed/drained/pureed cottage cheese and then add a little extra fruit on top to compensate for the saltiness cottage cheese brings :) (you MUST rinse and drain though- cottage cheese is packed with salt)
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm trying all these ideas. Flatlandrunning, I never realised there's that much salt in cottage cheese. Will be rinsing and draining from now on. Also, just remembered that I used to mix cottage cheese with low-cal Italian dressing when I wanted a creamier salad dressing ... haven't done that in a while. These days I mostly have balsamic reduction and olive oil with my salads, but sometimes a change is nice. Thanks everyone!