Greek Yoghurt in Cooking

Options
GillianLF
GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
Hi All,

I really do love greek yoghurt and I have it with seeds or fruit. However I'm seeing a lot of people saying they cook with it. I'm just wondering how? What do you use it with? Any suggestions, tips or recipes would be appreciated!

Thanks, :)

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It can be used as a substitute for just about any recipe that calls for milk, cream, or sour cream.

Just a little added to tomato or butternut squash soup gives it a nice tang and really creams up the texture.

I also use it in things like macaroni and cheese or other cheese-heavy casserole dishes to lighten them up. Use about half (or less) of the cheese, and replace with the same weight of yoghurt.

One of my favorite little treats is to put about 2 tbsp of ghirardelli chocolate brownie mix in a tea cup and stir in about 1 tbsp of plain or vanilla yogurt. Microwave that sucker for less than 2 minutes, and it's a a single-serve ooey-gooey molten-lava-style brownie treat for less than 100 calories (and since it's single serve, I'm not tempted to eat a whole damned pan!)
  • GillianLF
    Options
    Thank you both.

@rosebarnalice that gooey chocolate mess in a cup sounds amazing!

@catscats222 That's interesting about the pro-biotic, makes sense when you think about it. I'll look into that some more.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I use it like sour cream, especially for like tacos and stuff. You can also use it as a substitution for butter in baking.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

One of my favorite little treats is to put about 2 tbsp of ghirardelli chocolate brownie mix in a tea cup and stir in about 1 tbsp of plain or vanilla yogurt. Microwave that sucker for less than 2 minutes, and it's a a single-serve ooey-gooey molten-lava-style brownie treat for less than 100 calories (and since it's single serve, I'm not tempted to eat a whole damned pan!)

That sounds great!
  • Misssabaa
    Misssabaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! This sounds delightful "literally!" Thanks :)

"One of my favorite little treats is to put about 2 tbsp of ghirardelli chocolate brownie mix in a tea cup and stir in about 1 tbsp of plain or vanilla yogurt. Microwave that sucker for less than 2 minutes, and it's a a single-serve ooey-gooey molten-lava-style brownie treat for less than 100 calories (and since it's single serve, I'm not tempted to eat a whole damned pan!"

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I also like to make frozen yogurt popsicles. Greek yogurt, splash of milk (cow, soy, almond, etc), splash of cream. Add in chocolate syrup or chopped up cookies (100 calorie packs of cookies work great) or some trail mix. Mix everything together and pour into popsicle molds. This makes a great indulgent snack around 100-150 calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I would treat it like sour cream or Philadelphia cream cheese. So it would be added to a sauce or soup at the end of cooking, just to warm it up.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can also use it as a marinade, like in Chicken tikka masala.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I mix herbs into it for a dip with veggies. Adding it to smoothies makes a quick, high protein treat. As others have said, I use it as a substitute for sour cream. Combine Greek Yogurt and sugar free cheesecake flavored instant pudding, spoon it into a graham cracker crust, top with your favorite fruit - high protein, low fat, cheesecake.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
  • melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love these overnight oats for breakfast: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/265151461502013
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Use it a lot as a replacement for cream in soups and such. It's great in cakes too.
  • GillianLF
    Options
    So glad I asked! Wow such a great food and to think I never paid it much attention until recently.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you make your own (and it is easy) you have whey to use in bread making, salad dressings and sauces
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have used it in soups and baking and it worked great. But recently I tried using it in a layered hot dip recipe. It made a mess. The high heat made it separate and made the dip watery. I read later that you have to stabilize it with cornstarch if you are going to cook with it on high heat.