Advise - Hips, Thighs & Butt - Please!!

Options
Ok - so I am down to the last 5 pounds (yay!!) I am very happy with my upper body and have gotten pretty toned up there...I am looking to tone lower body more, specifically hips, thighs & butt!!......Now, before anyone comments - I know you can not spot lose weight..so please don't tell me that...lol

However - I want to know your best excercise for toniing your hips, thighs or butt that you use that works. I currently do a ton of squats and lunges, all different variations...as well as leg press and hip adduction and abduction on the cable machines at the gym...but I want to know if there is any other excercises that everyone else uses that they get results from???

and oh ya - tips on losing the last 5 lbs would be great too :)

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges really are the best thing for your butt and thighs.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    can't give you advice on the toning situation. But I recently lost the last few pounds (the last two were REALLY hard for me) and I almost settled. I would reccomend continually changing up your workout routine. Like everyday if you can,and zig zagging calories for a week or two.
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Are you currently doing weighted squats and lunges? My lower body has been my problem too, and I've had a ton of success by lifting HEAVY. My cottage cheese thighs are almost completely gone, and I still have 10 pounds to lose :D Take a look at bodybuilding.com, they provide free lifting plans. I've been using ChaLEAN Extreme (it's a beachbody program) that is absolutely amazing and I've seen incredible results, but not everyone wants to shell out the $ for a BB program.

You'll have more luck doing less repetitions with heavier weight than doing a ton of lunges. 3 sets of 10 (with rest in between) as heavy as you can lift does wonders to your body!
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    PS - feel free to add me, it seems like we have similar problem areas!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Are you currently doing weighted squats and lunges? My lower body has been my problem too, and I've had a ton of success by lifting HEAVY. My cottage cheese thighs are almost completely gone, and I still have 10 pounds to lose :D Take a look at bodybuilding.com, they provide free lifting plans. I've been using ChaLEAN Extreme (it's a beachbody program) that is absolutely amazing and I've seen incredible results, but not everyone wants to shell out the $ for a BB program.

You'll have more luck doing less repetitions with heavier weight than doing a ton of lunges. 3 sets of 10 (with rest in between) as heavy as you can lift does wonders to your body!

yes, most of my lunges/squats are weighted and heavy and I usually only do 3x10 sets...and I also to pliometric lunges and squats too..seems like I always hit my quad more than thigh though...I will check out that website though :)
  • fathomblue
    fathomblue Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hills! Walk or run hills and you'll get that butt you want. The key is to do both uphill and down hill. A lot of folks run or walk in an uphill incline but neglect the decline feature on the treadmill. Try to balance your workout by doing both. When I run on the treadmill, I gradually increase the decline and will run at a -3% decline for a good .25 mile as fast as I can, then gradually back up to a flat and decreasing the speed, and then to an incline (I'm up to 6%) and then gradually work my way back down again. You'll feel it all over and you'll see results too. It is more of an interval training but it will boost your metabolism and target those muscles.

I also want to suggest deadlifts with the barbell, single leg presses with high reps (I noticed a lot of ladies do the dual leg thing).

And if all this fails, heck borrow someone's P90x Plyometrics DVD, it kicks butt all the way! I have only felt my legs that trashed after running a half marathon, lol. And to think you can accomplish that in 60 minutes instead of hours is just too cool :)

Good luck and congratulations!
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Try eating "clean" (unprocessed foods) as much as possible. You sound just like me - nicely toned upper body and the lower body is still a work in progress! Lol I agree with lifting heavy the bottom half of your body are large muscle groups and so we need to hit them hard! I have also been doing HIIT on my treadmill ( using inclines and different speeds, varying between long strides where I squeeze my butt and thighs, sprinting, and recovery.) good luck!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    the squats and lunges are a good suggestion as well as doing hills on the treadmill and I like the machines. The gym I go to has the resistance machines to work your inner and out thighs, as well as quads and hamstrings.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hills! Walk or run hills and you'll get that butt you want. The key is to do both uphill and down hill. A lot of folks run or walk in an uphill incline but neglect the decline feature on the treadmill. Try to balance your workout by doing both. When I run on the treadmill, I gradually increase the decline and will run at a -3% decline for a good .25 mile as fast as I can, then gradually back up to a flat and decreasing the speed, and then to an incline (I'm up to 6%) and then gradually work my way back down again. You'll feel it all over and you'll see results too. It is more of an interval training but it will boost your metabolism and target those muscles.

I also want to suggest deadlifts with the barbell, single leg presses with high reps (I noticed a lot of ladies do the dual leg thing).

And if all this fails, heck borrow someone's P90x Plyometrics DVD, it kicks butt all the way! I have only felt my legs that trashed after running a half marathon, lol. And to think you can accomplish that in 60 minutes instead of hours is just too cool :)

Good luck and congratulations!

I use the incline in the treadmill at thy gym, but I do not think it has a decline feature..i am slowly working on the running thing, but my shins tend to get really sore when I jog or run....I will add the deadlifts, I always forget about that one and it hits the glutes realy good..I do dual leg press, but never tried single leg press, ill try that too...and my friend has the p90x series..i will ask about that dvd - THANKS :)