Late Night Hunger

Options
So, I'm fairly good at eating healthy throughout the day, exercising on a regular basis, and generally maintain within my caloric goal. I'm a firm believer in only having healthy snack choices at home, but with an 8 year old around, having packaged snacks is inevitable. I run into trouble at times during the late night. I get hungry and I want it all! Sure, I could grab a fruit. But it doesn't satisfy my hungry. So I reach for the chips. Or ice cream. I try to purchase low carb/low calorie ice cream for when I do want to snack, but I hate to eat that way right before I go to bed. Overall, I'm still losing weight, but the main goal is to be healthy. What am I missing? Why do I occasionally need to gorge at night? Vitamins?

Replies

• Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I try to spread my calories out through out the day so I have a few leftover for the evening snack if it comes along. Much of the late night "gorge" is a mental habit. I know it took me a while to break the routine. I would grab a snack to munch, even if I had just finished a huge dinner and was completely full. Physically I wasn't hungry, mentally I was. A multivitamin could help, if your body is craving a snack because of some deficiency in your nutrients. I keep almonds on hand for the emergency snack. Or Greek yogurt is a good one as well.
  • Opusarlo
    Opusarlo Posts: 53
    Options
    I had the same thing last night and I am a NAZI about regimented feeding schedules and proper balance of nutrition. All of a sudden while watching some episodes of Family Ties I felt uber hungry for something with salt and fat in it. I was not sure what it was, but I knew I was famished. I ate some safe stuff, but it never went away. Now it is breakfast time and I no longer feel so famished. I do not get it.
  • ayeshakane
    ayeshakane Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem as well...but i always drink a cup of coffee..it takes away the urge to eat...try it :heart:
  • kwstas01
    kwstas01 Posts: 8
    Options
    uhm coffee at night is a bad idea if you want to sleep...

brush your teeth instead ;) rarely i want to eat after that...