looking out for food allergies

Options
I have food allergies and have a hard time getting all the necessary nutrition that I need. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I have food allergies, too, but I am able to eat most foods in every one of the food groups. It depends on how extensive your allergies are. My son is allergic to almost everything plus is a vegetarian, but he has found an eating plan that works for him and is strong and healthy. Need more detail on what you're allergic to in order to be able to offer more specific advice.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Which foods do you eat?
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of allergies, myself. This is what I do, hope it helps. :-)

1. Check out what is edible in the foods you can eat, but that you don't USUALLY eat. Some examples: bell pepper pith and seeds. Both edible, but they are bitter if ground up. The seeds can give you a little protein, like most seeds. Squash seeds - all edible squash have edible seeds. Just roast like pumpkin seeds. Cauliflower leaves - edible. If you grow squash the leaves and vine tips are edible, just have to cook them. Pomegranate pith and rind - edible, and very high in vitamin C, too. Orange peel is also edible and high in vitamin c (just get organic, so there's not lots of pesticide residues, and try to get uncoated peel, so no wax coating).

2. If it's food, and you are not allergic, try it. Many ethnic stores may have veggies and fruits you've never tried that you may be able to tolerate, for example. Or the regular grocery store may have some things you've rarely tried. Gobo root, dragon fruit, air potato, true (african) yam (not related to sweet potato 'yam' in the USA), and so on. Also may find different grains there too, like teff (great fermented injera bread can be made with this - ethiopian flat bread, use like a tortilla, tastes like a sourdough, with texture of a spongy crepe - traditional recipes use no wheat). But seriously - doesn't matter if you know what it is, or how to cook it, just try it.

3. Grow some herbs. If you have trouble with blandness, or having to eat a lot of the same foods, growing herbs so you can have a LOT of herbs, without the high cost of fresh herbs, can be a life saver. I'd totally recommend it. It can also add in extra vitamins, as herbs are typically high in at least a couple vitamins or minerals (rosemary, for example, has a fair amount of calcium).

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    kagenin91 wrote: »
    I have food allergies and have a hard time getting all the necessary nutrition that I need. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I think it is impossible to give suggestions on what to add your diet when you haven't mentioned which foods you are allergic to
  • car1ann1
    car1ann1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are many ingredient names for each food allergy that someone would have to be aware of in order to avoid.