Has anyone ever used acupuncture for weight loss?

Options
Aloha.,,,I've tried almost everything for weight loss, and am currently trying acupuncture....has anyone else tried acupuncture for weight loss?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Have you tried counting calories using MFP?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Try a calorie deficit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If only we could stick a needle in our arm or forehead and lose weight! We'd all have the bodies we want.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    2888431.jpg
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, because weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Needles don't provide that unless you're losing blood (and lots of it).
  • TheBeachgod
    Options
    I just don't see the point of it, really.

t9fqbwlk99tb.gif

get.gif 959.8K
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I've had great succcess with other things with acupuncture - but wight loss was a fail
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    2888431.jpg

This is 100% how I'm planning on achieving abs. Seems legit. ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    2888431.jpg

This is 100% how I'm planning on achieving abs. Seems legit. ;)

My friend has a private acupuncture practice. I'll try and let you know if they start poppin
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Acupuncture is very effective for soft tissue ailments when administered in the correct locations - I had it prescribed and performed by a very well respected nhs consultant for a knee problem. He did an ultrasound and targeted the nerve clusters that were causing one of my muscles to spasm and pull my kneecap out of place. It is also genuinely effective for pain management and some anxiety related problems. I don't doubt that it also has a placebo effect on other conditions.

It could very well have an indirect effect on weight loss by making you more relaxed and therefore comfort eat less, or aiding an injury that might be preventing exercise. Weight loss is however about calories so ultimately acupuncture on its own won't cause weight loss.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I've had great succcess with other things with acupuncture - but wight loss was a fail

Yep, plenty of other things let you imagine acupuncture is "fixing" you, but the scale won't move from imagination alone.
  • dbgiltner
    dbgiltner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So far it has helped me lose 9.8 pounds in a month, as well as inches...which I believe is due to the fact that I'm eating much less, have lost most of my desire to snack....I am back to tracking my food on My Fitness Pal as it shows the nutritional totals for the day, which my FitBit app did not track....the acupuncture is not just sticking a bunch of needles, it is specific placements for specific organs....and my acupuncturist is like having a dieting coach because she gives me specific directions each appointment to get my body into fat burning and ketosis....
  • liveit
    liveit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and it helped put me back in touch with my bodies natural signals; mainly from how I was feeling from eating various foods, whether good or bad.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    alt-med_zpsnx5ozmt7.png
  • TheBeachgod
    Options
    dbgiltner wrote: »
    So far it has helped me lose 9.8 pounds in a month, as well as inches...which I believe is due to the fact that I'm eating much less, have lost most of my desire to snack....I am back to tracking my food on My Fitness Pal as it shows the nutritional totals for the day, which my FitBit app did not track....the acupuncture is not just sticking a bunch of needles, it is specific placements for specific organs....and my acupuncturist is like having a dieting coach because she gives me specific directions each appointment to get my body into fat burning and ketosis....

That is why you are losing weight. Congrats on your progress!

• dbgiltner
    Options
    Thanks...I have a huge appetite and have tired everything to suppress it with no luck....I believe the placement of the needles to get certain organs in balance is really helping...
  • Molson131313
    Molson131313 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    dbgiltner wrote: »
    Aloha.,,,I've tried almost everything for weight loss, and am currently trying acupuncture....has anyone else tried acupuncture for weight loss?

Hope it works for you, I get acupuncture for headaches and it works great :)
  • dbgiltner
    Options
    Thank you....