What are some good balanced vegetarian recipes?

Options
cws93
cws93 Posts: 56 Member
any suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• talismanicmagic
    talismanicmagic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm only new to this and just starting to get my macros in order, but am a vego, feel free to add me and check out my diary. I'm a little lactose intolerant so I probably don't eat as much dairy and most would. I'm in the process of trying to up my protein intake.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/

Another favorite:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-penne-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe.html

Honestly almost everything can be made vegetarian - beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh are great in most recipes as a meat swap, but there are a ton of ways to just eat a vegetable and grain focused diet.
  • cws93
    Options
    I'm only new to this and just starting to get my macros in order, but am a vego, feel free to add me and check out my diary. I'm a little lactose intolerant so I probably don't eat as much dairy and most would. I'm in the process of trying to up my protein intake.

Just added you, thank you :)!
  • cws93
    Options
    One of my favorites: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/

Another favorite:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-penne-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe.html

Honestly almost everything can be made vegetarian - beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh are great in most recipes as a meat swap, but there are a ton of ways to just eat a vegetable and grain focused diet.

Yum sounds great! Cheers :)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I especially like to make 'Buddha Bowls'. A good balance of carbs, fats and protein.
    Some suggestions below:

Starch:
    Roasted sweet potato cubes; Cooked quinoa, buckwheat, millet, rice, amaranth, barley, couscous, etc…; Cooked or raw corn kernels; Roasted white potato slices; Cooked winter squash, noodles or pasta

2. Protein:
    Cooked beans or lentils; Cooked tofu, tempeh or seitan; Peas; Edamame; Leftover Bean Chili; Cooked, crumbled or sliced veggie burgers or cutlets

3. Extras:
    Any nut or seed; Grated coconut; Apple slices; Raisins or dried cranberries; A sprinkle of granola; Olives; Sun-dried tomatoes; Nutritional Yeast; Roasted Red Peppers; Pickles, Roasted Chickpeas, Avocado

4. Veggies
    (cooked, or raw, or a combo of both): Lettuce, Kale, Spinach, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Mushrooms, Carrots, Zucchini, Peppers, Onions, Sprouts, Daikon, Flat Leaf Parsley,

5. Dressings:
    Tahina + Apple Cider Vinegar + Stevia + Smoked Paprika - add Sriracha if you like
    Tahina + Lemon + Garlic + Water
    Peanut Sauce (peanut butter, vinegar or lime, maple syrup, soy sauce, water)
    Salsa + Hummus
    Olive Oil + Lemon Juice or Balsamic Vinegar
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook author is Heidi Swanson 101cookbooks.com/ (You might want to ignore today's post as it features goat cheese!) Almost all of her recipes are nutrition dense and low calorie, and I love how she always suggests alternatives for ingredients you may not have on hand. AND she is a great photographer!
  • cws93
    edited November 2015
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    I especially like to make 'Buddha Bowls'. A good balance of carbs, fats and protein.
    Some suggestions below:

Starch:
    Roasted sweet potato cubes; Cooked quinoa, buckwheat, millet, rice, amaranth, barley, couscous, etc…; Cooked or raw corn kernels; Roasted white potato slices; Cooked winter squash, noodles or pasta

2. Protein:
    Cooked beans or lentils; Cooked tofu, tempeh or seitan; Peas; Edamame; Leftover Bean Chili; Cooked, crumbled or sliced veggie burgers or cutlets

3. Extras:
    Any nut or seed; Grated coconut; Apple slices; Raisins or dried cranberries; A sprinkle of granola; Olives; Sun-dried tomatoes; Nutritional Yeast; Roasted Red Peppers; Pickles, Roasted Chickpeas, Avocado

4. Veggies
    (cooked, or raw, or a combo of both): Lettuce, Kale, Spinach, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Mushrooms, Carrots, Zucchini, Peppers, Onions, Sprouts, Daikon, Flat Leaf Parsley,

5. Dressings:
    Tahina + Apple Cider Vinegar + Stevia + Smoked Paprika - add Sriracha if you like
    Tahina + Lemon + Garlic + Water
    Peanut Sauce (peanut butter, vinegar or lime, maple syrup, soy sauce, water)
    Salsa + Hummus
    Olive Oil + Lemon Juice or Balsamic Vinegar

Sounds brilliant! Thank you :)
  • cws93
    Options
    Thanks @lagoscarrie :smiley:
  • ajamweight
    ajamweight Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    any one having trouble sticking to 1200 calories?
  • toolittlelambs
    toolittlelambs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Trying 2 lose weight isn't easy here
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I made this: cookieandkate.com/2014/no-noodle-pad-thai/ the other day and it turned out delish.

In general, my rule of thumb when cooking is aiming for at least 250 grams of veggies and 30 grams of protein per serve of most meals, or I use the plate model: half of the plate vegetables, one quarter protein, one quarter starch (some things, like chickpeas, I count as half starch, half protein).

I do a lot of one-pot (e.g. veggie stew with barley and tvp) or veggie-heavy stew/sauce+carb+cheese type meals (e.g. tomato-based sauce with lots of vegies over mashed poatoes made with a mix of cottage and vintage cheddar cheeses).
    Stir fries with tofu are great, I always dry-fry my tofu separately, or occasionally bake it if I'm making a big batch.

Some of my favourite recipe sites: smittenkitchen.com/ (not all vego, and some recipes I strongly adapt to make them less calorific), greenkitchenstories.com//, cookieandkate.com/, thegardengrazer.com/
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Balanced in what way? My favorite place to go for recipes is http://vegweb.com/