Gaining weight,,,,,HELP PLEASE

clash98
clash98 Posts: 32 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I had another gain for the 2nd week in a row :( Really don't know what I need to change other that less sodium and more water....ANY SUGGESTIONS ????? My diary is open and I know yesterday wasn't that great, but that's out of the norm.

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    It looks like your staying under your goal for the most part. The sodium like you said could use work. The only thing I found that completely stood out was the day you went to KFC. I find it hard to believe a piece of Fried Chicken Drumstick is only 80 calories. Soomeone correct me if I am wrong. So that leads me to say, make sure your are double checking with other sources or labels what the nutritional info is on your food items. MFP is not always correct. Most of what you see in the database is entered by members so I always double check everything!

I just double checked it was Grilled Chicken but still that doesnt seem like enough. correct me if I am wrong someone.
  • dbrashers
    dbrashers Posts: 33 Member
    I just briefly checked out the last couple days in your diary, and even though you are staying under your calorie goal, it looks like you are eating a lot of processed and prepackaged food. Try eating fresh veggies and fruits as snacks or for lunch. That should help lower your sodium intake too. Good luck!
  • clash98
    THE CHICKEN AT KFC WAS GRILLED NOT FRIED......SO CONFUSED :sad:
  • clash98
    THANK YOU
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Another suggestion is to weigh all of your food with a food scale. A lot of times, you'll get a package of food that claims it has two servings (so you just eat half the package), when really there are 2.5 or 3 servings. Weighing the food will help you get accurate portions. Good luck with everything!
  • ansy96
    ansy96 Posts: 55
    add the sugars's cell(from the settings) and don't eat 2 kinds of fruits together. if you eat apples, for example, you can eat blueberries after 2 hours. and don't eat fruits immediately after meal. you gotta wait 2 hours after or 30 min before some meal. i hope i helped you on some way. :wink:
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    I can see you're really motivated and trying to do a great job! Double check the calories as jvkh127 suggested. Also, processed foods never do your body any good...sodium, msg, artificial colors and flavors. Try to use more whole foods. And drink plenty of water to flush your system! Its key!
    Good luck!
    Stay in touch and let us know how your journey continues.

Beth
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    THE CHICKEN AT KFC WAS GRILLED NOT FRIED......SO CONFUSED :sad:

I reposted I double checked.
    The post after me is correct too. Too many of processed food. More veggies needed.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    You need more protein and more fiber and more water if what you're logging is accurate (the default mfg settings are low--protein try for .75 to 1 gram per pound of body weight, fiber is always 25 g minimum and more is better, and if you're trying to lose and you're exercising, 10-12 glasses of water is going to do you better). Try to get your sodium under 2000 mg (and below 1500 would be even better). Also, try to eat up to your calorie allotment. I only glanced at a few days, but you were either over or too far under. You will lose better and be an all around happier person if you eat all your calories. You may also want to buy or at least borrow a hrm to verify your burn. I had a friend in my kickboxing class that mfp was giving around 900 calories per hour for kickboxing but once she bought an hrm she found out she varied from 450-1100. Obviously, on the 450 days she was eating way too much. This discrepancy caused her to stall out for almost two months.
  • clash98
    I WILL TRY ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS .... THANKS
  • sodium intake is really high....your body may be retaining a lot of water........def try eating more fresh foods(veggies, fruit, lean meat).....you can look at my diary for some suggestions!!!!! It may help to plan your meals for the week (or even each day) to help you avoid going to the fast food places
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Just looking at a few days, you eat A LOT of processed foods. Besides being high in sodium and hidden sugars, they really aren't good for you. Lots of preservatives, chemicals, soy fillers, etc.

I also see some days you aren't eating all your calories, but I think that the main problem could be too much processed foods.

Try eliminating a little at a time, and start cooking food yourself. Make dinner, but make extra so you can have it again for lunch. That way you can start your family on the right track too, and they will be eating healthier!

And don't beat yourself up about a day that you splurge. Just move forward!! Good luck!
  • aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    I agree with the food scale. It will shock you the difference in serving size when you go by the grams measurement rather than the '1/2 cup' with a measuring spoon or by eye balling it and guesstimating. Food scales (electronic is the best) are cheap and if you use that for a week, you should be able to see a huge difference. That and maybe commit to taking out processed foods or make a goal of keeping sodium below 1,500 mg and getting more whole foods like veggies and lean protein. I know these seem very fundamental as tips but they really do work.

I did not start losing weight consistently until I adopted these things 90% of the time.

Best of luck - I know you can do it and you'll be so happy with the results :)
  • amalsam
    amalsam Posts: 8
    Water Water Water... ESPECIALLY if you are overdoing the sodium... I cut back my water intake (got tired of going so often) to roughly 12 cups a day ( I was at 24 cups a day... never left the john :) ) But if I have say a lunch (chinese food.. killer in the sodium) high in sodium, increase the water intake... and go do something that makes you sweat a lot... You're in Texas so you should be able to go sweat fairly easy : ) I am in Florida... I just step outside and sweat :)

I am having a rough time with the alcohol (I love to drink)... Had a bad week where for some reason I thought I could have my whisky sours (2-4 a night) and as long as I was at or under calorie count I would still lose weight... I increased the alcohol and decreased my exercise ... that was a bonehead move that I am correcting this week... All of that alcohol the body will shift to burn that as fuel BEFORE anything else... so.. if I am taking in say 2000 calories a week in alcohol... wahoo...

Increase water... stay within your nutrient goals... exercise more... I found it best to walk in the morning and again in the evening... for me the evening walk is more important... after that walk I keep up the water but do not eat anymore (perhaps a a light snack)...

Be patient.. stick with it... sometimes the slightest change can throw the body into a backspin... best of luck to you :)
  • mzbehaven1
    mzbehaven1 Posts: 55 Member
    a food scale is you best friend....although I know you can't carry one in your handbag...
  • clash98
    THANK YOU....THANK YOU.....THANK YOU :wink:

I WILL POST AGAIN NEXT WEEK WITH AN UPDATE:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.