Cardio w/ out hurting the knees?

Options
I have been doing the 30 day shred recently and although I love it my knees are seriously KILLING me. I have always had bad knees and ankles tons of sprains and I have dislocated my right knee before (a year ago now). I don't want to give up on working out; are there any low impact cardio videos you guys know about or high intensity that doesn't bother your knees?

Replies

• paulaercksn
    paulaercksn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The best cardio for the knees is to use an elliptical. I know that's not a video, but after I had my ACL replaced in my knee, that's what the doctor and the physical therapists said.
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great cardio and very, very low impact. If you don't have access to a swimming pool, then I agree paulaercksn about the elliptica. There's also the crossramp, which is at most gyms.

Hope you find something that works for you!
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    walk away the pounds dvds.....they keep your heart rate up and you never go and faster than a quick walk...also very little jumping. lots of kicks though
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Avoid the impact things on Shred....I was able to get thru it with my bone on bone R knee by NOT doing anything that caused jarring or impact on my knee....modify whenever you need to....no matter what Jillian says!
    Good Luck to ya! :drinker:
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    I agree with Paula, the elliptical. Anything to raise your heart rate and it keep it there for a steady amount of time is good cardio. You will burn fat very well with the elliptical. As far as the strength training, you can do it separately and at your own pace so you're not hurting your knees. My doctor said, you work out COMFORTABLY (because I had to get checked for my knee). If it's not comfortable, STOP. Your cartiladge and knees are not easily replaceable and should be well taken care of.
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    I think Paula is right about the elliptical. I had some minor difficulty using the machine at first with my knees, but the thigh and calf muscles built up eventually and it got much easier. Good luck to you!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    This isn't a video...BUT, I go to the YMCA every day and do "cardio splash". They offer it twice a day, morning and evening. Some days I go to both. I am able to do things in the pool I could NEVER do on land...jump, jog, hurdle, jump and twist...all kinds of different cardio moves that I absolutely cannot do out of the pool. My feet and knees kill me and limit what I can do on land.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I would say start out with elliptical as well, but i'd still strive to get back into something else as well if even just for the variety. I've had about 5 dislocations in my right knee and 1 in my left, which is the most recent, and my left one was still giving me problems even over a year later, so just give it time they will adjust. What I do is just push myself and when I feel it's giving me a little problem I back off in that area, even just modify the workout a little rather than abandon it entirely. GREAT shoes and technique are extremely important as well. Slow with proper form and control is better than fast for the sake of fast. I do high impact plyometric type workouts and I run and I do have slight problems from time to time but they are getting less and less.
  • LGripne
    LGripne Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree with the comment about the walk away the pounds videos. Leslie Sansone has a whole series of walking videos that include workouts for varied fitness levels. I have significant arthritis in my knees, and her videos are gentle enough on my joints that I can do them daily!
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    I can completely relate to this. I have always had bad knees/ankles. Then over a year ago I was doing a workout video that included lots of squats and I ended up damaging the ligaments in both knees.

It still causes me pain from time to time now. The doctor advised that i avoid jogging on hard ground, squats and a lot of workout dvds which include exercise that is hard on knees.

I have been using a cross trainer now pretty much every day and I have had no problems with it. So I suggest you do the same. Also I've heard swimming is good

Good luck!
  • tnkhart
    tnkhart Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Amber I have a bad back so I also need to watch my impact. I started using an eliptical and it's working great for me. You might want to give it a try.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    After facing the EXACT same problem, I've had to get creative. Never mind the high jumps - they'll wreck your knees as you already know. Small hops are just fine. The Nike Training Club app taught me to drive weight through my HEELS when doing lunges, squats, etc. I no longer bother with getting my knees over my toes. Tae Bo has been really challenging but very effective and there's little to no high impact stuff, but it'll still give you a kick-*kitten*, sweat-drenching workout. If you have a wii, you might try the gold's gym cardio workout; there's a constant shifting of weight from your front to back legs, a fair about of ducking and weaving, and a ton of punching. Just try keeping your body weight over your heels instead of your toes - the easing up of the stress on your knees might allow for a few more hops, plus you get a much better butt workout. I'm not saying it will work for you, but it might be worth a shot.

It also seems to be helping me to build up strength in the muscles that support my knees - gently!

Do what feels good to you, and keep in mind that the knees might be a little sore the next day. Modify, awareness, modify, awareness, modify - as long as you keep your heart rate up, you're good to go. And if you overdo it a little bit, bags of frozen peas make GREAT ice packs ;)

Good luck!
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Doing a lot of punching/jabs/crosses/uppercuts would be great. You can do it standing up are in a touch of a squat if you can. I would turn up music and punch to the beat mixing up your moves. I think there was a workout in shape magazine which you could probably find by googling it. The other comments are great too but this would throw in something different.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Biking is good for the knees. When I started bicycling, I thought that it would hurt my knees because of the repetitive motion, but then I read online that bicycling actually helps to nourish the cartilage near the knees, thereby strengthening the whole joint. Worth a try if the repetitive motion doesn't hurt you in the meantime.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    I have noticed a lot of people on here mentioning the 30day shred. Where can I find the link to this so I can read more about it?
  • Terriwin
    Terriwin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too, vote for the elliptical. It is a great workout and you will burn a ton of calories - even more than on the treadmill!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Another option after the elliptical is jumping rope. Unlike running in shoes there is very little strain on your joints and your in a position that you body is acting like a shock absorber. It also is one of the better aerobic exercises.

You should also consider weight lifting. It helps you strengthen your joint and if you lift right and focus on strength it is very low impact and will help improve you strength and bones. I would recommend "The New Rules for Lifting for Women" as a good book to start you on the path. Also it will increase your weight loss because strength training is much more effective for a weight loss than just aerobics because unlike aerobics it actually raises your MBR for up to 24 hours vs. just one or two. You loose more weight by raising your MBR than you every will during an actual activity.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I have noticed a lot of people on here mentioning the 30day shred. Where can I find the link to this so I can read more about it?

go to youtube and watch a couple videos. 30 day shred is awesome!!!
  • Lindastr
    Lindastr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with campb2ti about the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I use the 2002 version that contains 3 workouts -18 min, 30 min and 47 min. I have never tried other versions. They are the most gentle-to-my-joints exercise DVDs I have ever found, and you get great results because you combine light hand weights with the moves during the last part of the routines (I use 2lb weights but you can do 1lb or none). You will definitely be using your knees because you will be standing and stepping, but you can modify the moves to lessen the impact. When my knees are acting up I don't bounce at all or squat down, and I don't step wide on the side to side movements. You can simply do knee lifts or march in place for the lower body portion of the movements if any of them are too hard on you. Experiment away with what works for you, and Good Luck!
  • Amberkins23
    Amberkins23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for all the responses! Unfortunately I don't go to a gym/have an elliptical although maybe I could get that as a birthday gift from my hubby! I plan on swimming on my days off at the community pool near me and my husband and I were talking about getting bikes, I guess its about time we do that! I will also be looking into the walking away the lbs. DVDs. You guys are awesome thanks alot!