New to cardio

Options
modie28
modie28 Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

I am 5'7" 130 lbs ( I WAS 126 before I began my new cardio routine) I have used Fitness Blender in the past as my only source of exercise; however, i was told that I need to incorporate more cardio into my routine in order to see the results I wanted (I'm aiming for fat loss, and to lean out). I joined a gym and have been participating in spin classes since 10/24 (about 3 weeks), averaging about 4 classes each week. I had never done any sort of intense cardio like spin before- I have done HIIT, but definitely feel as if I am getting more out of the classes. I started with 2 and now go 5 days a week. The classes are about 50-60 minutes and I definitely work hard during the entire class... well, I have GAINED weight. I know it is impossible to gain 4 pounds of muscle in 3 weeks and that I have not eaten enough calories OVER in order to gain either. I guess I am just curious if anyone else has experience this, if so, how long did it last until you began seeing any sort of results.

Side note: my measurements have not changed and my clothes fit the same. Also, I know I need to drink more water, I have definitely been lacking in that department. My goal is to be anywhere from 120-125 ( that is what I started at before I began using Fitness Blender).

Thank you!

Replies

• SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You won't gain any muscle from just HIIT or spin classes as it's mostly just cardio. Are you eating back your exercise calories? My guess would be that you're overestimating how many calories you've burned and overeating and/or retaining water due to your new exercise routine.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Starting a new intense work out routine frequently results in WATER weight gain. As you break down your muscles and they regenerate and grow stronger, they need a ton of water to complete the process. Over time it will go away/be evened out by actual fat losses. Keep up your calorie deficit, keep up your workouts, drink a TON of water, and you'll find yourself evening out in 3-6 weeks as you lose weight. Also what Sunny said, but it's a little early to tell that.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Example: I've gone up 5 lbs in a single DAY from water weight, and that's just from being female and having a monthly cycle. I've also seen lots of water weight gain from increasing exercise intensity. It goes away. Drinking a lot of water will help it go away quicker in most cases. Don't worry;)