Paxil and weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• LeeMay63
    LeeMay63 Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I weigh about 137 now. I wrote the wrong amount by mistake. I've gained about 37-40 lbs. I would like to get down to around 120,125 lbs. I am just not used to being this heavy.
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Some ssris can increase appetite...but not really. Maybe you feel better and are more comfortable overall--and eating is easier/more satisfying. Prozac is weight neutral. So are effexor and other snris. Wellbutrin is an atypical anti-d. It's all right tho. It works better as an add-on. I guess it depends on the severity of your depression. The worser it becomes, the harder it is to treat. I definitely think maintaining a healthy, balanced diet rich in vitamins and nutrients and drinking a lot of water can help a bit.
  • LeeMay63
    Options
    @motivccess I have started trying to drink more water and eat healthier,no junk food. To be honest,I am on 4 anti-d. Have been having a hard time dealing with my loss.My daughter ( Heather ) really suffered in her last days. She had Cystic Fibrosis & Diabetes.She was my life being that I was a single mom. Anyway,Sorry for the rambling, Not feeling like my old self is just hard all the way around. Thank you for your response
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    LeeMay63 wrote: »
    @motivccess I have started trying to drink more water and eat healthier,no junk food. To be honest,I am on 4 anti-d. Have been having a hard time dealing with my loss.My daughter ( Heather ) really suffered in her last days. She had Cystic Fibrosis & Diabetes.She was my life being that I was a single mom. Anyway,Sorry for the rambling, Not feeling like my old self is just hard all the way around. Thank you for your response

I am truly, truly sorry. I am sure Heather is a wonderful person and your love for each other will always remain untouched. ::Gives you a long hug:: <3
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sounds like Heather has a wonderful mother, no doubt she was a wonderful person. Paxil is most effective on anxiety based depression. Since your depression would appear to be triggered by a loss, there may be medications or other treatments that would have less side effects with bearing to weight gain. In my decades long struggle, I have been to therapy many times. Have you tried a Grief Recovery program? It was one of the most helpful things I participated in.
  • LeeMay63
    Options
    @motivccess & @daniwilford. Thank you so much for the kind words. ❤️
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Remeron made me starving all the time. All the time. But once I created a calorie deficit, the weight came off.

All SSRIs mess with the brain balance. All work differently for different people.

Track what you eat. Get out of the house. A nice walk can do wonders.

I am very sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine. It might also benefit you to try a support group for people who have gone thru similar losses. It can be a great comfort to talk to people who have been thru similiar issues and it can be a great comfort to hear people who have walked thru their loss and moved forward

• LeeMay63
    Options
    I have a stepper that I got from Walmart and sometimes I do go for a walk. I'v tried going to Compassion Friends, but all it was was a lady selling a book. Everyone was just talking to each other like it was a friendly gathering while I was pretty much crying. I left and haven't gone back. I pretty much just stay at home and cry by myself instead. Thank you so much for the advice,though. You are very nice to respond.