zucchini and yellow squash help need

Options
maryjay52
maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
I typically do not like mushy veggies. Any ideas other than just raw zucchini and yellow squash?

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I love using diced zucchini/ yellow summer squash in soups for texture and mild flavor as well as they are a staple in our ground beef meals like chili, meat sauce and meat loaf. I use a basic box grater for zucchini, carrot and mushroom and mix it in like any other ingredient in the 'original' recipe. An easy way to increase vegetables in a meal as well as lower calories per serving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like them sauteed.
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Roast them in the oven, you can add other veggies too. Google for timing and ideas for seasonings.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Baked vegetables: carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, red onions, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic to name a few - some olive oil, well seasoned - omit salt if preferred with a nice piece of fish/chicken/meat and you have a full meal.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Roasted tossed with some olive oil and garlic. Throw it in soups or stews.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I chop them up large so they don't fall apart when cooking and add em to my chicken chili.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like to saute onions and mushrooms and then add the squash in the last 10 min. or so. It doesn't get too mushy that way. I'll sometimes add cooked brown rice and some cheese to that and bake it in a casserole dish with more cheese on top.
  • erink720
    erink720 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like making noodles out of them, use a potato peeler to make them noodle like and sauté them with a bit of olive oil, garlic, basil, and a squeeze of lemon juice
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use my mandoline to slice them fine for vegetable lasagna.

Or slice diagonally, bread as you would chicken with crumbs and Parmesan, broil and serve with spaghetti sauce.

Or make a spicy sausage filling, scoop out the middles and mix with the sausage, refill the boats and bake them.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I've been sautéing them diced with onions, carrots, celery and fresh garlic, then seasoned with whatever seasoning. Very tasty! I use a little spray of Pam in a non-stick pan, to save on oil calories.
  • jessasweightlossjourney
    Options
    Zucchini parmesana (sp?) is great. You dip in flour, beaten egg, roll in panko bread crumbs and bake with cooking spray until crispy. Layer the zucchini with a little marinara and low fat mozzarella and you have a tasty healthy alternative to the fried fattening version :)
  • jjskk
    jjskk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love to cut them up, toss in olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and cook on my George Foreman grill until grill marks come up. They aren't mushy and taste great!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I use my mandoline to slice them fine for vegetable lasagna.

Or slice diagonally, bread as you would chicken with crumbs and Parmesan, broil and serve with spaghetti sauce.

Or make a spicy sausage filling, scoop out the middles and mix with the sausage, refill the boats and bake them.

I recently discovered this and it's the best thing ever. I can't stop making some form of spicy zucchini boat. :yum:
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I sautée or stir fry them so I have maximum control over level of 'done-ness'.
    I don't like mushy veggies either. I either bake, sautée or stir fry pretty much every veg
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Spiralizer to make squash spaghetti. keeps it firm, crispy and very good.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    awesome ideas everyone !! thanks!! i love the idea of grating them up and using them in a meatloaf ect ..also roasting them ... mmm yummy
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I put grated zucchini in my oatmeal. Little pizza bites are good as well. Cut zucchini into slices, and top with tomato sauce and cheese and bake in the oven till cheese is melted