Options
124»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    malioumba wrote: »

ETA: "Beauty" like Hepburns or any actress or a model is not born. It is made. It is artificially created using appropriate lighting, make up, filters and camera angles. The societal standards of beauty are lies airbrushed onto magazine covers and blared in the faces of the common person as a judgement of what we aren't. You know what we aren't? The products of Adobe Photoshop CS, that's what.

Yeah, all those Victoria's Secret models are actually terribly ugly in real life and weigh 200 kgs.
    Don't give into the lie!!!!11

:D
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    amberlyda1 wrote: »

Hepburn also survived the German occupation and was severely malnourished in her teenage years which could be why she was so slender. Poor woman almost starved to death.

"We ate nettles and everyone tried to boil grass – in addition to tulips – but I really couldn't stand it," Hepburn said.

She had a 20" waist on a 5'7" frame. For reference, that's an inch smaller than my head :)

Off topic here, but Audrey was an amazing woman both for her talent and her humanitarian work with UNICEF. Bit of a shame that most only know her for her beauty.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I understand we all have different body shapes, and genetics, but some females are so thin (think Audrey Hepburn thin), and it just amazes me how everything just... fits in there.
    I mean is that sort of thinness really genetics or is it a very well-kept diet? By diet - I just mean consumption of food. I don't mean dieting. It just amazes me how small some people are. Do you think they work to retain that very thin frame, or it's a little of both; genetics and healthy diet?

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada (and 2nd in all North America apparently, I read Colorado, USA is the 1st) - either way, it's in the lower end of North America and although I'm not obese, I know that my city is composed of mostly very thin and fit females. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments. Yes, I know we're always told not to compare to one another, but I mean, despite hard work: one forever remaining in the "scraps" department of aesthetics and fitness is saddening. I understand there will always be "someone better", but it's not just...someone...it's pretty much everyone.

I guess that's where accepting one will never be Hepburn skinny/beautiful comes in and one just...deals?

No one is "naturally" thin or fat. Some people eat less and move more than others, either by choice or necessity.
    As for "beautiful", this is very subjective. If we spend our lives comparing ourselves ot some ideal of beauty, most of us might as well give up and never get out of bed again. And the same applies to everything: most of us will never be millionaires, will never become famous artists, never will win an olympic medal, never will become rock stars. Our best will be average. So what?
    You or me might never become super models, but we can still become the "better" (healthier, prettier, better dressed, thinner, more athletic or whatever "better" is for each one of us) version of ourselves.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I understand we all have different body shapes, and genetics, but some females are so thin (think Audrey Hepburn thin), and it just amazes me how everything just... fits in there.
    I mean is that sort of thinness really genetics or is it a very well-kept diet? By diet - I just mean consumption of food. I don't mean dieting. It just amazes me how small some people are. Do you think they work to retain that very thin frame, or it's a little of both; genetics and healthy diet?

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada (and 2nd in all North America apparently, I read Colorado, USA is the 1st) - either way, it's in the lower end of North America and although I'm not obese, I know that my city is composed of mostly very thin and fit females. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments. Yes, I know we're always told not to compare to one another, but I mean, despite hard work: one forever remaining in the "scraps" department of aesthetics and fitness is saddening. I understand there will always be "someone better", but it's not just...someone...it's pretty much everyone.

I guess that's where accepting one will never be Hepburn skinny/beautiful comes in and one just...deals?

One thing you can do, if you insist on comparing yourself to other people is make sure it's something attainable. Comparing my body to someone who's entire body type, coloring, height, age, etc. is the polar opposite of mine is futile.
    While I may think Halle Berry is gorgeous, this 5' 9" white girl is never gonna look like her. But I have looked at woman who where similar in height, age, coloring and said" I want to look like that" I don't think there is anything wrong with that . At least it's semi attainable.
    Also, you are assuming that EVERYONE finds that Taylor swift , Audrey Hepburn look attractive and that is simply not true. Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder.
    Concentrate on finding one thing you love about your body. If you think you have pretty eyes or a pretty pinkie toe, acknowledge it to yourself every day.
    Then when you're done with all that nonsense, pick something about yourself that is non physical but is attractive or pretty such as I'm a good daughter, or I have compassion for animals, or whatever it is and also acknowledge it to yourself every day.
    One of the most beautiful smiles I've ever seen is Mother Teresa's.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I live in a city where everyone is thin and tall and model like. Some women have legs atleast half my size and i was CONSISTENTLY picked on in the US for being the thinnest person in my group of friends/coworkers/etc.

From my personal observation here:

The women eat less overall calories
    The women eat less overall meat and protein
    The women do not perform strength training
    The women are incredibly active in walking ALOT around the city
    The women bike between 10-15k each and every day
    No one drinks sugared drinks/sodas/everyone drinks water which lowers caloric intake

So their physiques are a combination of genetics (being tall), Little muscle mass (low protein diet and no strength training), and their activity (mainly LOTS of low-intensity cardio).

As an american i definitely feel like the shortest and fatest person here, even when i'm at my best. HOWEVER, I try to just focus on myself and not care too much. :) I'm not a fan of the "waif"ish kind of look on myself anyway.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My husband is 1.86m and 70kg.
    He never gains weight.
    I am so jealous.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    If you were born ugly, like I was, you'll never be as aesthetic as an Audrey Hepburn or a Chris Hemsworth, but that is no reason to just give up completely. I strive to be just ugly now, instead of ugly and fat. That's still better than 70% of the world that is overweight. :D You just gotta keep working on the things you can change.

I guess that is a good reason. Strive to just be ugly, instead of ugly and fat. It's good. I could use that line when I feel really discouraged that everyone around me is smaller than a size 0.

Time to stop comparing yourself to people around you. DO YOU.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Up until about 8-10yrs ago (I'm 45) I was naturally, very thin.
    I grew weary of the whispers that I must have an eating disorder because I ate without care or concern for calories. In hindsight, I could probably safely say that I ate about 3000-4000 calories a day, sometimes more.
    My 'workouts' consisted of reading books. I've never enjoyed sports or exercise.
    Genetics?
    Who knows....
    All I know now is that middle age and quitting smoking along with a sedentary lifestyle and cavalier attitude towards nutrition.....has set me up to struggle, both physically and mentally, now that I'm 40lbs heavier than my ideal weight.
    -sigh-
    I lost most of it in the spring/summer......and then reverted right back to my old ways with a 'eff-it' attitude.
    I LOVE food.
    And I have what seems to be an addictive personality......I'm an alcoholic-addict in recovery for almost 10yrs.
    I sure wish I could get addicted to working out.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I know this convo is little old, and there are always exceptions, and that's why I prefer to talk in generalizations, so I wanted to mention a 2015 study that found that their predictions of female attractiveness falling between a BMI of around 22-24, was actually incorrect by 2.6-4 units of the BMI.

It turns out that (across several hemispheres), that the most attractive range fell at a BMI of 18 or lower.

I know the BMI doesn't mean anything to muscle bodies, but it's just taking the average composition of a female.

I don't guys...I just think skinny (Swift skinny) is very, very in, and that ain't going away.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4556148/pdf/peerj-03-1155.pdf
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Looking at Taylor Swift BMI wise, she seems very unhealthy... But of course we can't tell anything about her health just by her height and weight.
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Up until my late 20s I was very very thin. I didn't watch what I ate. Looking back now, I can say that the reasons I was so thin was because of 2 main reasons:
    - I did a lot of walking. My parents didn't drive and so pretty much walked where ever I needed to go.
    - we didn't have junk food in the house and not much snacking. My parents just couldn't afford it.

Once I got to my late 20s and working, my lifestyle became very sedentary. Was driving more and less walking. Had money so could afford to eat out more and buy snacks.

Now I have to watch what I eat or the weight goes on just like everyone else.