American food choices

Options
Hi Guys

I think the most wonderful thing about MFP is the new American friends I have made. Looking at your diaries it makes me even more admiring of the weightloss of my Pals in the US.

The US food choices are vast and too tempting, with many of them prepackaged, sweet treats or added calories and salt. Coupled with the fact it is much cheaper to eat out for you guys and you have much more of an array of affordable food places, I have absolutely no willpower at all and feel sure I couldn't lose any weight at all.

Of course we have a range of food in the UK too, but I just don't feel so overwhelmed with choice and accessibility as I would in the US.

So more power to you US MFP's - You are amazing!!!!

Replies

• Jessika616
    Jessika616 Posts: 41
    Options
    My Nutrionist always refers to it as Standard American Diet...S.A.D. hmm how fitting.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My housemate and I we just discussing how we want to go to the US at some point for a holiday, but can't go at the moment cos we know we'll put on weight when we go - there are so many things I want to try, so many restaurants etc. And the 'candy'. I want to try everything!! Maybe I'll make my goal 10kg lighter so I've got some room to try everything when I go!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Tell me about it! Ugh, passing about 15 fast food restaurants on the drive home from work when your hungry...and thinking 30 more mins until I get home, then I need to cook dinner, so at least 30 more mins to eat. Temptations!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    my husband takes his high school students on tours in europe, and i get to go with him (sure, teachers don't get paid enough, but we definitely have some perks!). i love it when we visit because it is so easy to eat well and lose weight - plenty of fresh fruit, good food, and a liter of water was about half a euro, vs. a warm glass of soda - which was about 7 euro! that was lovely, because it made my choice for me - i drank water all the time and it was so easy to do so. we always try to replicate how we eat in europe when we come back, but it doesn't last too long before we get sucked into the typical monstrous pile of american junk food!
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Hee hee. I know, I feel guilty for being overweight as there really is no excuse in Europe. It is getting harder to make good choices as sneaky foods get in, like Starbucks frappachino. You think its a drink but it has more calories in it that a whole meal. Stealth food!! There are more and more fast food places but they don't do food in the same size portions as the US so you are consuming fewer calories without event trying. We are one of the fattest nations on Earth though, so something is going wrong.....

Glad I didn't offend, when I read it back I worried it sounded like I was criticising US dieters, which of course I am not! Quite the opposite!
  • justjules
    justjules Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To all of the people in the UK, yes we do have a vast amount of choices of ready made and prepackaged foods, but the food in the UK is so much fresher and better. Especially the candies (chocolates) ours are waxy and tasteless for the most part. I visit the UK regularly and eat all my favorites and still maintain and or lose weight. It seems to be so much more of a healthy place. I guess what I am getting at is , the grass always seems greener somewhere else. Cheers :)
  • kirstiey
    Options
    I think that the general consensus is , that choice is not a good thing if the choices are all poor ones!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Europe so I know all about the food differences. I ate SOO much healthier there, just because I feel like in Europe the healthy, fresh foods are the cheap ones (fresh fruit, veggies, fish caught that morning, etc). For example, McDonalds is NO bargain in Europe! So many Europeans treat McDonalds like a special treat, not an everyday cheap go-to meal because McDonalds is actually quite expensive relatively, there.

In the USA I feel like it's the other way around. The overly processed unhealthy foods are the cheap ones here! And if you want to eat healthier, it'll cost you. Maybe it has to do with the distance from farm to market in the US? Our fresh foods might come as far as the other side of the country to get to us. Prepackaged, processed foods take forever to expire so there's no rush in transport so it's cheap.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I know, I feel guilty for being overweight as there really is no excuse in Europe.

i imagine this isn't true! when we were there, we were taking tours and hauling *kitten* all over the place. if i lived and worked there for an extended period of time, i'm pretty certain i would find my favorite dives with the most unhealthy, delicious foods - and i would haunt those! :tongue:
  • kirstiey
    Options
    In the USA I feel like it's the other way around. The overly processed unhealthy foods are the cheap ones here! And if you want to eat healthier, it'll cost you. Maybe it has to do with the distance from farm to market in the US? Our fresh foods might come as far as the other side of the country to get to us. Prepackaged, processed foods take forever to expire so there's no rush in transport so it's cheap.

You have hit the nail on the head there. That's capitalism for ya. A lush and beautiful country like the US importing most of its fresh fruit and veg is a total crime. The US government is not doing its citizens any favours if the poorest people with families are further disadvantaged as the best quality food is the most expensive. Crazy. Also you are right about fast food being expensive here. I only eat out / take away once a month due to this. Most of my friends do this a maximum of 4 times per month, where as it seems to be 2 or 3 times per week for many Pals. Tell you what is the killer here in the UK...The booze! empty calories!
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    I just drove down to the US from Canada for the first time yesterday and was so overwhelmed by the choices and prices. Much of the prepackaged food was literally half the price as here. And alcohol was insanely cheap as well. I bought 18 bottles of beer for $13. That same case of beer here is $30 - which is part of why I hardly ever drink; it doesn't seem worth the cost.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Don't confuse the UK with other European countries remember! Countries like Italy, France and Spain have fab attitudes to healthy eating. So much fresh produce on their doorstep and lots of good oils, and alcohol is not something used to binge on at weekends like most in the UK.

The UK is slowly becoming more like the US with the amount of fast food and convenience outlets. That mixed with the total state of the economy- less people can afford to eat healthy, the price of fruit and vegetables is a joke- all make for a fatter nation.

A new concept to me here in the UK are drive through coffee houses like Starbucks. It takes 3 years for them to make a coffee, how on earth they will manage in a drive through...
  • Emilou9
    Emilou9 Posts: 44
    Options
    If any of you have ever watched Arrested Development, there is an episode where the main character goes on a date with a British girl in "Wee Britian", which is a complete replica of a small UK town in the U.S. They have an American restaurant there and all they serve are huge plates of donuts, piles of fries, and basically unethically large portions of junk food. Then they gave them3-4 suitcase sized doggy bags per person when they left. It is pretty hilarious, but really sad that America is know for bad eating habits.
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight when I visited the USA. Everything was just far too sweet for me and I didn't feel like eating much prepared/packaged stuff!

The amount of sugar added to your food is astounding.

Well done, American 'losers'!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    You have hit the nail on the head there. That's capitalism for ya. A lush and beautiful country like the US importing most of its fresh fruit and veg is a total crime. The US government is not doing its citizens any favours if the poorest people with families are further disadvantaged as the best quality food is the most expensive. Crazy. Also you are right about fast food being expensive here. I only eat out / take away once a month due to this. Most of my friends do this a maximum of 4 times per month, where as it seems to be 2 or 3 times per week for many Pals. Tell you what is the killer here in the UK...The booze! empty calories!

Yeah, the US should be putting more money into creating more farming jobs right here in the US. Especially with our unemployment rates and crumbling economy. It is sad that we import so many fresh fruits and vegetables when we have a HUGE country with so many possible places for new farms. My grandparents are farmers in Texas and they pretty much live in a ghost town now. There used to be many vegetable farms there back in the 50's-70's but now everyone is fleeing for the bigger cities. It's really sad! If you go in the typical American grocery store you'll find fruits and veggies from primarily Mexico and South America. That's why I try to always buy organic American produce and local if possible at farmers markets. It's important to support the economy of your local economy.
  • kirstiey
    Options
    Some interesting debate, thanks everyone! You are right the UK is the absolute worst in Europe. Its a real shame as good food is so delicious and doesn't take long to prepare. Let's vow to keep making good choices people, even if be have to wade through the crap to find it!:drinker:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i think there is plenty of opportunity to eat crap food and lots of it in the UK. I think the only difference is portion sizes when you eat out are supposed to be bigger in the US.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    Don't confuse the UK with other European countries remember! Countries like Italy, France and Spain have fab attitudes to healthy eating. So much fresh produce on their doorstep and lots of good oils, and alcohol is not something used to binge on at weekends like most in the UK.

Spain and italy have a fairly high rate of overweight people I believe. Their youths tend to be very slim and the older they get the fatter they get. All that meditereanean cooking, pasta and olive oil. Catches up with them in the end.

France, i dont know how they dont have more overweight people, considering the amount of bread and cheese they all seem to eat at every meal. I think its because from my experience, everyone has 3 meals a day and thats it. You will rarely see someone in france snacking between meals
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The Uk's top voted food was Chicken Tikka Masalla served with chips. Very English (not) and very salty. I love it.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    its a local dish for local people!