Options
2»

Replies

• conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I don't understand? Is post count shaming a thing?

lol. #postcountshaming I suppose it could be a "thing".....there is certainly enough shaming and ridicule doled out on these forums, isn't there?! I was seriously wondering if you have a "must post a certain number" minimum/day to get to those numbers? I'm just doing some quick math....if you've been a member for 3 years...that's over 30 posts/day. That's a part time job!! ;)

Sorry to post off topic sscarmack.....you got some legit advice from a couple of people. Do you have a good trainer you can work with for a session or 2 to really nail down your form?

• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    sscarmack wrote: »
    Just want to bump this back up for those that missed it.

what makes you think we missed it?

isn't this the same OP that posted the advice thread last week showing that he does 68 sets and 642 reps for each muscle group?

Look I'm seeking advice on my squat, never once did I claim to be a professional or know it all and if you're just going to be a dbag just stay out of my threads. Mmmkay pumpkin.
    sjohnny wrote: »

isn't this the same OP that posted the advice thread last week showing that he does 68 sets and 642 reps for each muscle group?

Yeah but do you have any idea how he might have tweaked his back? Because I can't think of a reason.

Your sarcasm is noted...and for the record my back had nothing to do with working out, it was from playing paintball and I jumped over a 4ft wall and tweaked it. Hasn't been the same since, and obviously it hurts when I squat.

Oh, you didn't want to talk about reasons you might be injured? My bad, I must have totally misread the first paragraph of your OP. But I'm also confused as to why the "squat rack" might be the cause of your excuses poor form/injury? I'm just slow, I guess.

Thanks for the invitation to not post on public forums. But just because you don't claim to be a professional doesn't mean you don't get criticized when you post a Do Like Me routine on the boards that doesn't make sense for most people to do.
    Never once claimed a poor squat rack was the reason for any back pain. Learn to read. I said it was disappointing. And its because I don't feel comfortable going higher without the safety features. So yeah, apparently you are slow.

Why be a dick when I'm clearly asking for help and never once attacked you or came at you? Thats a real mature thing to do.

And again, in my other thread, I said this is what I do and it won't work for everyone. So again, learn to read.

My results are there. End of story Chief.
  • sscarmack
    Options

Look I'm seeking advice on my squat, never once did I claim to be a professional or know it all and if you're just going to be a dbag just stay out of my threads. Mmmkay pumpkin.

Yeah but do you have any idea how he might have tweaked his back? Because I can't think of a reason.

Your sarcasm is noted...and for the record my back had nothing to do with working out, it was from playing paintball and I jumped over a 4ft wall and tweaked it. Hasn't been the same since, and obviously it hurts when I squat.

TIL: playing paintball and jumping over small walls = "really hitting the legs"
    Been really hitting legs lately, in the process I think I either pinched a nerve or caused a little tension on a disc in my lower back.

Apparently you've never played paintball, nor tried to jump over a 4ft wall when on the run, while trying not to get hit playing capture the flag. *kitten* happens, I tweaked my back. I'm not Lebron, I don't get paid to jump.

Thanks for your helpful post.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    conniedj wrote: »

I don't understand? Is post count shaming a thing?

lol. #postcountshaming I suppose it could be a "thing".....there is certainly enough shaming and ridicule doled out on these forums, isn't there?! I was seriously wondering if you have a "must post a certain number" minimum/day to get to those numbers? I'm just doing some quick math....if you've been a member for 3 years...that's over 30 posts/day. That's a part time job!! ;)

Sorry to post off topic sscarmack.....you got some legit advice from a couple of people. Do you have a good trainer you can work with for a session or 2 to really nail down your form?

I do, thank you.

I already called him and I'm meeting him Sunday for our first session.

I appreciate your help :)
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    @sscarmack...that's great! You're strong enough, just working out the kinks will take you to the next level!
  • sscarmack
    Options
    conniedj wrote: »
    @sscarmack...that's great! You're strong enough, just working out the kinks will take you to the next level!

Thank you Connie. You've been a lot of help.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Been really hitting legs lately, in the process I think I either pinched a nerve or caused a little tension on a disc in my lower back.

Apparently you've never played paintball, nor tried to jump over a 4ft wall when on the run, while trying not to get hit playing capture the flag. *kitten* happens, I tweaked my back. I'm not Lebron, I don't get paid to jump.

Well....no...not exactly.
  • sscarmack
    Options

Okay then, thanks again for another irrelevant post. Your help has been greatly appreciated.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I think he meant to say a paintball hit him in the leg really hard and it pinched a nerve?
  • sscarmack
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I think he meant to say a paintball hit him in the leg really hard and it pinched a nerve?
    No
  • sjohnny
    Options

Okay then, thanks again for another irrelevant post. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

You're most welcome
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Update. Felt great today! Tried some new things and with everything you guys had to offer and the assistance of the PT, I had no struggles today.

Was squatting 275 for 4 reps, no pain, discomfort, other than feeling the burn of squatting haha.

Thank you guys again for the help. My back appreciates it lol.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Update. Felt great today! Tried some new things and with everything you guys had to offer and the assistance of the PT, I had no struggles today.

Was squatting 275 for 4 reps, no pain, discomfort, other than feeling the burn of squatting haha.

Glad I could help!
  • sscarmack
    Options

Glad I could help!

Yeah, so extremely helpful.
  • sscarmack
    edited October 2015
    Options
    315 for 5 reps, starting to get a lot more comfortable. The belt definitely helps. Also I've been going barefooted, socks of course. I've found it helps me plant my feet and makes me push through the heels more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    315 for 5 reps, starting to get a lot more comfortable. The belt definitely helps. Also I've been going barefooted, socks of course. I've found it helps me plant my feet and makes me push through the heels more.
    Looking at your video, you raise your heels when you squat which transfers the weight to the balls and inner part of your feet, which intern can make you adjust your back to comp for the balance. Really focus on staying on your heels.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sscarmack
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Looking at your video, you raise your heels when you squat which transfers the weight to the balls and inner part of your feet, which intern can make you adjust your back to comp for the balance. Really focus on staying on your heels.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You're absolutely right. When I took my shoes off I noticed it a lot more.

So between that and actually focusing on stretching my hips, things have been so much better.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    One month later...Hit a new PR this past weekend. 365 for a solid 2 reps. Most I've ever done and it felt great. Was definitely a confidence booster.

Used a belt, wrist straps, power rack with safety bars, and a spot.

Obviously this is the most weight I've had on me and safety first!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Awesome PR. Thanks for posting. I found the advise given in this post on form and tweaks to form very enlightening.