26 with a lot to lose. Currently weighing in at 231 lbs

Options
Hello everybody,

I am interested in making some friends/weight loss buddies. The more the merrier I say. I am 26, a mother, a lover, and a full time employee. I stand on my feet all day and get roughly 10-17k steps a day. My highest weight this year was 237 give or take a pound and I am currently 231. My goal is to make it out of the 200s; at the moment, that is all I care about.

My feet are usually ready to fall off by the end of the day, so, some things I plan to do to lose weight is to do seated exercises to work my mid section. That is my problem area mainly. I am interested in doing yoga since I lack in the stretching department as well. Eventually, I will lift weights, but right now, I think I want to ease my way into this to make everything a habit.

Speaking of habits, my food habits will be changing as well. Specifically, I love sweets. This is a horrible habit I picked up in the last year and it really needs to go. It is so hard to fight the cravings. I seriously feel additicted to sweets. It's surreal.

If you are interested in becoming weight loss buddies, tell me about yourself, what are your goals? What do you hope to accomplish? Do you have a plan?

Replies

• BriKH23
    BriKH23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm 29...turn 30 in a few weeks and am at my heaviest of 210. I think I want to lose 60 lbs and just get healthier. I have high blood pressure too and think losing the weight will help stabilize that (well I am hoping it will anyways!).

I am currently at about 1500 calorie a day goal. During the week, this is easy. During the weekends, not so much. My boyfriend and I tend to go out to eat for lunch on either Saturday or Sunday and that is when it gets tough but if I eat well during the week and complete my exercises, then I hope this is ok!!

I admittedly don't own a scale yet because I am too scared I would obsess over it. I see the doctor next week (the day before Thanksgiving...at least it is not the day after!). I will weigh myself then but should probably just bite the bullet and get a scale!

I'll add you because like you I think the more the merrier. The more friends I have here the more motivation I will have to stick with it in the week and possibly even the weekends!
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i was in the 230's at my highest. Once you get to 199, euphoria will sweep over you. I remember crying..hehe. i guarantee it. don't over think it! just have fun with it. the days go by quicker than you'd think.

essentials: an ipod full of your favorite bands and strong coffee :p #warriormode

always remember: the only person standing in your way is...you
  • DJones1220
    DJones1220 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Well we can relate I myself have similar struggles, BUT I am committed to changing the way I feel and the pain I live with in my body parts all because I struggle to manage my eating habits. I have tasted success you see I got up to 240lbs (ugh just the thought of that is terrible) and lost 50lbs just 4 years ago. I loved how I felt and it was such a difference on me knees and I always wanted to exercise mostly cycle. Then I fell in love and well got way to comfortable and slowly allowed 40lbs to creep back on.

Needless to say the same body parts began to ache again and my frustration with myself in how I felt and looked came back again. So I'm back on the wagon and committed to getting 50lbs back off again. Stay focused and stay on MFP it's a huge help I also use MAP my Fitness app which works with MFP and incorporates my exercise. You can do this and so can I we just need to stay here and keep the motivation going! I started again at 230, currently at 223 and I can't wait to not see a 2 in front of that weight again!
  • moonlight_energy
    moonlight_energy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    BriKH23 wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm 29...turn 30 in a few weeks and am at my heaviest of 210. I think I want to lose 60 lbs and just get healthier. I have high blood pressure too and think losing the weight will help stabilize that (well I am hoping it will anyways!).

I am currently at about 1500 calorie a day goal. During the week, this is easy. During the weekends, not so much. My boyfriend and I tend to go out to eat for lunch on either Saturday or Sunday and that is when it gets tough but if I eat well during the week and complete my exercises, then I hope this is ok!!

I admittedly don't own a scale yet because I am too scared I would obsess over it. I see the doctor next week (the day before Thanksgiving...at least it is not the day after!). I will weigh myself then but should probably just bite the bullet and get a scale!

I'll add you because like you I think the more the merrier. The more friends I have here the more motivation I will have to stick with it in the week and possibly even the weekends!

Hey there BrikH23,

One tip I read from another person on here is, when you go out to eat, get a to-go plate and put half of the meal in the to go box. Most meals at restaurants supply enough food for two meals or more, so taking away the temptation to over eat will help you gain control of how much you eat and still enjoy eating out.

I know what you mean about the scale issue. For a while, I would become obsessed with the number and whenever I lost some weight, I would gain it right back, which makes absolutely no sense to me. So, I stopped getting on it. I had to fight the temptation (which is definitely is my biggest flaw). How often do you go to see the doctor? It isn't completely required to have a scale in-order to lose weight. It is mainly there to help monitor your progress or lack-there-of. A substitute for the scale is pictures/watching your body over a period of time, but that takes time and patience. It will take more than 2 weeks to notice much of anything.

Thank you for the friend request! And good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • moonlight_energy
    Options
    motivccess wrote: »
    i was in the 230's at my highest. Once you get to 199, euphoria will sweep over you. I remember crying..hehe. i guarantee it. don't over think it! just have fun with it. the days go by quicker than you'd think.

essentials: an ipod full of your favorite bands and strong coffee :p #warriormode

always remember: the only person standing in your way is...you

Hello motivccess,

Thanks for sharing that, it makes me want to get there even more. It seems so unobtainable because I have only noticed my numbers rise. I could only imagine how amazing it will feel.

I have come to realize that I am the only person that can make myself change. It is my body, nobody elses. I control everything. It's common sense, but for some reason, I lacked that understanding.

How much weight have you lost so far?
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Vada. I am also at my heaviest (i dare not write down the number) lol I want to lose 40 pounds. I'm 48 wife and mother of 3 adults. My 25th wedding anniversary is coming up at the end of January. I would love to lose at least 15 pounds by then. I never get on the scale as it causes me trauma!!!!!! I use my clothes to determine if I am losing, maintaining or gaining. I would love to be friends with you!! Feel free to add me. I exercise at least 4 days a week and on a good week I am at the gym 6 days. I am an emotional eater who is working on finding different things to do when I am bored, sleepy, happy or sad. good luck and we can do this!!!
  • moonlight_energy
    Options
    DJones1220 wrote: »
    Hey there,

Well we can relate I myself have similar struggles, BUT I am committed to changing the way I feel and the pain I live with in my body parts all because I struggle to manage my eating habits. I have tasted success you see I got up to 240lbs (ugh just the thought of that is terrible) and lost 50lbs just 4 years ago. I loved how I felt and it was such a difference on me knees and I always wanted to exercise mostly cycle. Then I fell in love and well got way to comfortable and slowly allowed 40lbs to creep back on.

Needless to say the same body parts began to ache again and my frustration with myself in how I felt and looked came back again. So I'm back on the wagon and committed to getting 50lbs back off again. Stay focused and stay on MFP it's a huge help I also use MAP my Fitness app which works with MFP and incorporates my exercise. You can do this and so can I we just need to stay here and keep the motivation going! I started again at 230, currently at 223 and I can't wait to not see a 2 in front of that weight again!

Hello DJones1220,

I completely understand it sounds like we are on the same boat here. My highest weight ever was about 240 when I was in middle school (horrible), I ended up losing 60 pounds. Since then, I gained it all back when I became pregnant 6 years later. Then, I lost it again. Another 6 years later, I am in a new relationship (4 years strong), happily in love, and getting up there again :(.

The more I have been gaining weight, I have noticed my body aching in ways it never did before. I couldn't imagine how it would be if I got any heavier. I am with you man, let's get out of the 200s. Do you mind if I send you a friend request?
  • moonlight_energy
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Vada. I am also at my heaviest (i dare not write down the number) lol I want to lose 40 pounds. I'm 48 wife and mother of 3 adults. My 25th wedding anniversary is coming up at the end of January. I would love to lose at least 15 pounds by then. I never get on the scale as it causes me trauma!!!!!! I use my clothes to determine if I am losing, maintaining or gaining. I would love to be friends with you!! Feel free to add me. I exercise at least 4 days a week and on a good week I am at the gym 6 days. I am an emotional eater who is working on finding different things to do when I am bored, sleepy, happy or sad. good luck and we can do this!!!

Oh my gosh, when you said emotional eater, I knew right away girl! I have the same problem. I have been learning some ways to help with that. As an emotional eater, you truly feel like you need to eat something, so if you can't fight the urge, you can eat something low in calories or drink a bunch of water, maybe add some fruits in it to add some flavor. To help fight the cravings, it is good to exercise, put on a work out video or go for a walk/bike ride. Some workout videos I like that are free is by Kiera Leshay (superherofitnesstv), Tiffany Rothe, fitnessblender has a large amount of workout options, but they are kind of boring.

Does your city have any outdoor activities opportunities? For example, my city has a ton of lakes so it gives a great opportunity to get out of the house, enjoy some fresh air and go canoeing or rowing. We also have a bunch trails for biking/walking/running. If you are out of the house, it might help and these are all free options. My city also has adult sports, you could check into in your city. Activities are a lot more fun and maintainable than exerising in my opinion, it keeps it fun and you aren't focusing on the exercise itself.

Congratulations on the 25 years of marriage, that is truly a feat. I like your idea of using your clothes as a monitor, it seems less stressful than getting on a scale.
  • Monica527
    Monica527 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My biggest was 255...I'm currently 197. For my height I'm supposed to weigh 135....so I have a ways to go. In pretty sure Its my eating habits so I'm trying this app out again.
  • moonlight_energy
    Options
    Wow monica!! Great weight loss. Eating habits is my biggest problem. I'll be honest, I got into a bad habit of getting fast food for lunch everyday. It's convenient, inexpensive, and there is a variety of hot food to choose from. But when I add it all up, the calories, the cost, the gas, it isn't worth it. Today I started by getting some sandwich stuff that should last up to 6 days for less than $10. I am not a fan of lunch meat, nor cheese, but it works for now.

Bread, chips, sugar drinks, desserts have a lot of calories. It may not seem like a lot but when you compare it to a piece of fruit, vegetable, a serving of meat or cheese, its a lot for so little.