Structuring a 1200cal day

Options
For those who are on 1200cal a day.....how do you structure your meals?
300 cal meals plus 3x100cal snacks?
Is it different everyday.....?
I've been (trying) to limit snacking so I can have a larger dinner....although not always possible with those delicious skinny cow treats in the freezer

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, have a protein smoothie for lunch (sometimes with hot cereal to go with it) and then have the rest of my calories for whatever I want for dinner, and I usually have room for desert in the early evening. That's if I am strictly on 1200 calories because I have not been able to exersise. On a good day, I walk between 3-8 miles, so I eat some of that back with afternoon snacks or more at dinner.
  • ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use around 250-300 on breakfast, same on lunch. Dinner I have 400ish then low cal snacks such as an apple, 10cal jelly or quavers.If I get any off excersize I try not to use them all back.

What are these skinny cow treats you speak of??
  • korilwelch
    korilwelch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat about 200 calories for breakfast, 300-350 for lunch and dinner 500 calories with 100-200 calories for evening snack. Love my skinny cow ice cream sandwiches and fudge bars.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Whatever, whenever...

Fortunately, I don't get hungry - so I can spread things out however I feel like it and change from day to day. My first "meal" is often a quarter cup of nuts on the drive into work around 11 AM. My last meal is often around midnight - after I get home and fix it. I've been trying to snack more during the day (which I consider a pain), just to keep my liver from doing a glucose dump because it's internal clock decides I've been too long without food. My diary is open, so you can see what the calorie spread is. "Snacks" might have been all at one time, or multiple times throughout the day. Lunch tends to be 3 PM-ish (although today it was at noon - about 30 minutes after breakfast...)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I prelogmy day so each day is different. Most days my lunch is the smallest. I have 1-2snacks ranging from60-120cals
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My days are pretty consistent:

Coffee when I wake up
    Workout
    Carrot juice - 150 cal
    Protein shake w/ banana - 250-300 cal
    Egg white omelette - 200 cal
    Shiritaki noodles with marinara sauce - 200 cal
    400 calories for dinner - usually bbq chicken / steak or prawns

I eat my exercise calories in snacks - so usually an apple or tangerine, sometimes 2.

If I am going out for dinner then I skip the snacks and give myself about 600 calories for dinner.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I would structure it so that I had more than 1200 cals to eat - either by exercising more or evaluating my numbers to make sure that 1200 was really an appropriate calorie level for me!

I tried 1200 for a few weeks and was constantly starving. I lost most of my weight netting 1500 cals and then 1700 cals.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I would structure it so that I had more than 1200 cals to eat - either by exercising more or evaluating my numbers to make sure that 1200 was really an appropriate calorie level for me!

I tried 1200 for a few weeks and was constantly starving. I lost most of my weight netting 1500 cals and then 1700 cals.

I always wondered what net is on MFP. care to elaborate?
  • BigMama24mfp
    BigMama24mfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maybe my input here isn't welcome but anytime I see people trying a 1200 calorie diet I feel obligated, as a lifetime failed dieter, to say something. 1200 calories is too few calories, it is simply starvation. Look into the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. Participants were put on a 1560 calorie diet for 24 weeks with disastrous results.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Try this calculator to determine your BMR as well as your TDEE. You may be surprised to find out you burn many more calories than you think. http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    My advice for effective, long term weight loss is to reduce your intake by 500 calories at most.

I burn 3000 calories a day and eat 2500.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker so I try to eat small amounts during the day. I start with black coffee and several cups of hot tea, then around 10 am I have a 160 calorie protein shake, 2-3 hours later I have lunch which today is a high carb day so I'm eating tuna with light mayo on a sandwich thin - 205 calories. Snacks I have an apple and a Greek yogurt- 172 calories, and in the afternoon I have more snacks, protein granola bar and 100 calorie popcorn- 290 calories. Dinner is salsa chicken tacos- 351 calories. With 4 calories for vitamins I logged 1,187 today. I might have a few sticks of gum to reach 1,200 lol.
  • Expatmommy79
    Options
    Maybe my input here isn't welcome but anytime I see people trying a 1200 calorie diet I feel obligated, as a lifetime failed dieter, to say something. 1200 calories is too few calories, it is simply starvation. Look into the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. Participants were put on a 1560 calorie diet for 24 weeks with disastrous results.

Try this calculator to determine your BMR as well as your TDEE. You may be surprised to find out you burn many more calories than you think. http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    My advice for effective, long term weight loss is to reduce your intake by 500 calories at most.

The calculator puts my BMR at 1500 and energy expenditure at 2500.... When I eat 2000 cal a day I put on weight. When I eat 1200 + my exercise calories I loose weight.

I don't think it's fair for you to generalize.
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sadly BigMama24mfp for us tiny people with desk jobs, BMRs can be lower. My BMR is 1500 [edit] 1466 :( now Im even sadder [edit]. That aint a lot! So I have to go down to 1200 to feel any type of shift on my scale :(

For me I tend to do a small breakfast - I have to have a Protein shake (protein powder + almond milk) as per my Dr, that would not be my choice for breakfast at all! So I have that at around 5.45am, I usually have a Greek yogurt or cereal at work around 8am. I snack like a manic so that is tough for me not to snack!! I ususally to to snack on lighter version of things I like, so I like chips, so I'll try and snack on something crunchy to help that craving, etc. My lunch is ususally around 200-300 calories, and can range from a salad to a sandwich to leftovers. Dinner is usually where I splurge calorie wise. But I try to make substitutions to stay within my goals, so for example, one night I had pasta sauce on caultflower because I didn't have enough left for pasta.

Then if by the end of the day, I think I ate to much, and if I am not exhausted, I will work out to try and burn away my mistakes.

My activity level is low, as I have a desk job and long commute on public transit, so being active is hard. I probably walk about 5kms every day and that's my only burn.

My diary is public - but is completely a mess right now, I missed weeks, and haven't been logging (or eating) properly due to some health issues lately, but feel free to take a peek!
  • Expatmommy79
    Options

If you read the study properly, the subjects were already at their ideal weight, and those that weren't were put on a calorie goal to meet their ideal weight.

By the time they entered "starvation" mode, they were already at their goal weight.

These subjects also must have been big men if 3200+ calories was their target calories during the control phase of the experiment...

It's fine to quote a study, but you should probably read all of it, and not just the highlites.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I always wondered what net is on MFP. care to elaborate?

Net would be the amount of calories you end up with after any calories burned from exercise are factored in.
    MFP will calculate a maintenance level of calories based on your activity level including daily activities but excluding exercise. Let's say that MFP thinks your maintenance level is 1700 calories/day. It will then set a calorie goal for you based on the amount of weight you want to lose/week. Let's say that you want to lose 1 lb/week, MFP will deduct 500 cals from your daily goal, giving you a calorie level of 1200/day. That means if you do no exercise at all, you should lose 1 lb/week. If you do exercise, and burn say 300 cals running, that means that you are actually at net 900 cals, which is below a healthy level. So in actuality, if you burn 300 cals through exercise, you should be eating some or all of those back (exercise burn estimates can be inflated which is why many people recommend starting with eating back about 1/2 of your calories). If you ate back half of those, you would actually eat 1350 cals for the day, but your net would be closer to that 1200 goal.

I use a FitBit which I find to be pretty accurate for measuring my total calories burned so I tend to eat back all my calories, which means that I'm 5'2 and maintaining around 123 lbs eating 2000+ cals/day. I also have a desk job. :)

Hope that helps.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, you don't get much of an allowance when your a petite female. I'm 5'0, my BMR is 1221. My TDEE is more forgiving since I workout 5x a week as its 1,856. If I subtract 250-500 calories from that to lose weight, I'm only allowed around 1400. It doesn't sound like anyone in that starvation study was extra petite :-(

I discovered intermittent fasting from the MFP community and it has changed my life. I get to socially eat, have second helpings and room for dessert, all while staying in my low calorie range allotment. I highly suggest you check out the intermittent fasting group here on MFP and research IF yourself, specifically Leangains intermittent fasting.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Mine tends to differ from day to day, but most days I don't really have breakfast (except for coffee + creamer). That tends to hold me over either until lunch, or at least for a few hours. Sometimes I'll have a snack around 10:30 or 11:00am, then lunch at 12:30. I like a variety, so my lunches tend to be a bunch of snacks.
    I usually snack again before dinner, then have 300-400 cals at dinner.

Today I woke up hungry, so I had breakfast. My day looks like this:

Breakfast:
    raisin bread 80 cal
    14g peanut butter 80 cal
    52g granola 200 cal
    1/3 cup milk 40 cal

Lunch:
    Danon light & fit yogurt cup 80 cal
    3oz baby carrots 35 cal
    Pretzel minis 100 cal
    Apple 126g 80 cal

Dinner:
    4oz salmon 235 cal
    8oz zuchinni and summer squash sautéed in 1.5 tsp butter 90 cal

That leaves me with 180 calories if I want to snack some more, or I could have a bigger dinner if I wanted to.

To the BigMama person who states eating 1200 calories a day is starvation, you must not be short like some of us. Must be nice.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Your BMR changes with age and activity level (I.e, sedentary desk job). I am also hypothyroid which the calculators don't account for. Without accounting for my hypothyroidism my BMR is around 1,300 calories. I exercise 7 days a week but I use those calories on the weekend. I go by a weekly deficit rather than daily (i.e maintain a 1,200 daily average over the week).zunaex7zpv8q.png
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I structure it based on what's going on for the day, so it varies.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, you don't get much of an allowance when your a petite female. I'm 5'0, my BMR is 1221. My TDEE is more forgiving since I workout 5x a week as its 1,856. If I subtract 250-500 calories from that to lose weight, I'm only allowed around 1400. It doesn't sound like anyone in that starvation study was extra petite :-(

I discovered intermittent fasting from the MFP community and it has changed my life. I get to socially eat, have second helpings and room for dessert, all while staying in my low calorie range allotment. I highly suggest you check out the intermittent fasting group here on MFP and research IF yourself, specifically Leangains intermittent fasting.

I'm 5.1 and my tdee according to my fitbit is around 2100 but on work days it's close to 3000 so thankfully I don't have a low calorie goal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I agree that 1200 calories is too few for women my height, almost 5'7", but realize that the shorter one gets, the less calories one needs.