Running vest

I have a race next weekend and it's going to be colder then piss. I'm looking for a good running vest to help me from freezing to death. Any recommendations?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Can you give an an approximate temperature range? What you'll need for -20 is a lot different from what you'll need if it's just around freezing, for example.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    I'm guessing single digits to teens, and possibly wet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    IMO, use a shell/jacket/vest for rain/wind protection. Use clothing/layers for warmth.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Agreed, a lightweight shell jacket with vents, alternately a dry wick shirt and a change of clothes at the finish.

How long is the race? Personally I go with tights and a tighter shirt if it's cold/rainy, then I don't get that nasty floppy clothing feeling. I also find it easier to dress as though it's 10-15 degrees warmer, because I know once I warm up I get hot no matter how cold it is.

And have warm dry clothes and a hot beverage for afterwards, and you'll be fine! Plus being cold might help you run faster!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    If I have a race and it is going to be really cold at the start, I usually take an old sweatshirt or jacket that I don't care about (like from my Goodwill pile) and wear it over my clothes. Then I ditch it when the race begins or when I start to heat up. If it's raining or snowing, I would wear a water resistant shell under that.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Thank you everyone!!! That's what I needed to know. It's only a 5k, but I've never done one in the winter so I just wanted to be ready!