Has anyone ever used acupuncture for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/placebo-effect

How placebos work

The exact physiological mechanisms remain mysterious. Some of the theories that attempt to explain the placebo effect include:
    • Self-limiting disorders - many conditions, such as the common cold, are self-limiting. They will resolve by themselves anyway, with or without placebos or drugs, and the end of symptoms is merely coincidence.
    • Remission - the symptoms of some disorders, such as multiple sclerosis and lupus, may wax and wane. A remission during a course of placebos may be coincidence, and not due to the placebos at all.
    • A change in behaviour - the placebo may increase a person's motivation to take better care of themselves. Improved diet, regular exercise or rest may be responsible for the easing of their symptoms.
    • Altered perception - the person's interpretation of their symptoms may change with the expectation of feeling better. For example, a sharp pain may be reinterpreted as an uncomfortable tingling.
    • Reduced anxiety - taking the placebo and expecting to feel better may soothe the autonomic nervous system and reduce the levels of stress chemicals, such as adrenaline.
    • Brain chemicals - placebos may trigger the release of the body's own natural painkillers, the brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) known as endorphins.
    • Altered brain state - research indicates that the brain responds to an imagined scene in much the same way as it responds to an actual visualised scene. A placebo may help the brain to remember a time before the onset of symptoms, and then bring about physiological change. This theory is called 'remembered wellness'.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Drive the acupuncture needle through the refrigerator so you can no longer open it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    In what way would acupuncture help with weight loss? The only thing that will cause weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • dbgiltner
    dbgiltner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is helping me to eat less by getting my body systems in balance....I normally have a huge appetite and I have had a really difficult time putting back on my food intake… Since I've been going to acupuncture my appetite has dropped dramatically, so I am taking in significantly less calories...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    My mother did many years ago....as well as trying every other fad diet/procedure she could afford...none of them worked permanently, and at 75, she's still struggling with her weight.