Lower carb alternatives to milk?

Options
So my doctor just told me that my most recent a1c test was borderline and that I should take a look at my carb intake. One area I could probably cut back on would be milk, as I know that has a lot of carbs. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I could use in its place to make my daily latte? I do have a tree nut allergy so that does limit me somewhat but otherwise I'm open to suggestions

Replies

• jnnyp
    jnnyp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Does tree nut mean you're allergic to almond milk? You can try oat/rice milk - they're lower in calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am assuming all nuts?

Flax Milk, Coconut Milk, Hemp Milk, Quinoa Milk, Rice Milk... I am now out of all the non diary and non nut milks I can think of...

But I will tell you that Milk is probably the last thing I would look at as a cutting back for carbs.. This is a balanced way to get in your nurition..

Do you eat alot of white carbs like potatoes, rice, bread, pasta...

Did your doctor give you a sheet of paper of foods to cut or recommended foods to eat? And a date for a recheck?

If he did not, I am surprised that he did not recommend things for you or even send you to a nutritionist or dietitian for diet advice...
  • Mrswarunek71914
    Mrswarunek71914 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I Agree with Gia07 unless you're drinking a gallon of milk a day. You might even consider skipping the daily latte and having a daily coffee or tea.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Actually milk is very good for diabetics because as long as it isn't doctored too bad it has a nice mix of macros; carb, protein, and fat. Skim milk looks worse for carbs by proportion as the fat has been removed. Don't bother with the nut substitutes because though they may have as much calcium or more than milk, they have far less protein.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAzjWFHRPPZNJNm_rfNZqfUbLyMm-obA-aadT7kydk/edit?usp=sharing

Greek yogurt is even better.

Look first at your breads, pastas, pastries and sides to reduce your carb intake.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    OH! The latte! Switch to a sugar free syrup and watch those carb numbers come down.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Ooooh, first check the fat content on that coconut milk. I included in my chart above.
  • ceg82
    ceg82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, I will have to try a bunch of them :) I was asking about milk because as it is I don't put any syrups or anything in the latte, my only sweetener in that is one packet of Splenda. I do get that milk is not super high carb, but as I recall from when I had Gestational diabetes, we are more sensitive to carbs early in the day so any carbs will have a bigger impact on blood sugar then. Now that I've typed that out I'm wondering if my solution should involve switching the time of day I drink it...hmm

Anyway, I am also looking at cutting the more obvious sources of carbs too, for those who asked, just didn't think that eating fewer chocolate bars was worth posting about lol. My doctor was rather vague about how much I should cut, possibly because I am not yet (& hopefully never!) actually diabetic, but at any rate I want to be proactive here so I'm looking at everything I can do to lower my next a1c :)
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love FairLife milk

Half the sugar and twice to protein

And it is still real milk

❤️
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Actually milk is very good for diabetics because as long as it isn't doctored too bad it has a nice mix of macros; carb, protein, and fat. Skim milk looks worse for carbs by proportion as the fat has been removed. Don't bother with the nut substitutes because though they may have as much calcium or more than milk, they have far less protein.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAzjWFHRPPZNJNm_rfNZqfUbLyMm-obA-aadT7kydk/edit?usp=sharing

Look first at your breads, pastas, pastries and sides to reduce your carb intake.

Some of the nutritional info on your sheet is incorrect based on some labels that I'm looking at. I don't know if it's yours, but I can walk down the grocery aisle and find several labels that contradict the calorie counts by considerable amounts.

I'm not trying to negate the awesome tool that this could be... but it would be better if it were accurate.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your are having with the milk. If for cereals, several unsweetened almond milks are fairly low carb.
    The more they take out of milh, the more sugar is put back to make it more palatable.
    HWC (Heavy whipping cream is low carb ,but has a lot of calories so can be overdone) is something I use in my coffee.
    And every Starbucks I have been to offers it as an option instead of half and half or milk.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    The more they take out of milh, the more sugar is put back to make it more palatable.

Patently false.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Patently false.

Patently true.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Patently false.

Patently true.

Citation needed.

Low-fat milk has a higher percentage of sugar because when you remove one component (ie fat) everything else has a higher percentage than before.

This is NOT the same as "adding sugar"

A cup of skim milk has more protein than a cup of whole milk. Do you think that was added too?

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    ceg82 wrote: »
    So my doctor just told me that my most recent a1c test was borderline and that I should take a look at my carb intake. One area I could probably cut back on would be milk, as I know that has a lot of carbs. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I could use in its place to make my daily latte? I do have a tree nut allergy so that does limit me somewhat but otherwise I'm open to suggestions

There is no way the dr told you to avoid milk. It is actually one of the things you are encouraged to consume for managing diabetes. You need to talk to a dietitian and get a plan.
  • Paleodiet4beginnersdotcom
    Options
    Hey @ceg82

Hope you are well.

I gotta agree with the others, milk shouldn't be the way to take down your carbs.

Have you looked into a Paleo lifestyle? Without the nuts of course.

Alfie
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

dairy=acne breakouts=make me even uglier! :'(
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    ceg82 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback, I will have to try a bunch of them :) I was asking about milk because as it is I don't put any syrups or anything in the latte, my only sweetener in that is one packet of Splenda. I do get that milk is not super high carb, but as I recall from when I had Gestational diabetes, we are more sensitive to carbs early in the day so any carbs will have a bigger impact on blood sugar then. Now that I've typed that out I'm wondering if my solution should involve switching the time of day I drink it...hmm

Anyway, I am also looking at cutting the more obvious sources of carbs too, for those who asked, just didn't think that eating fewer chocolate bars was worth posting about lol. My doctor was rather vague about how much I should cut, possibly because I am not yet (& hopefully never!) actually diabetic, but at any rate I want to be proactive here so I'm looking at everything I can do to lower my next a1c :)

Prepare meals with lots of low carb veggies: kale, spinach, collards, romaine,cabbage, brussel sprouts, avocados, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, yellow squash, zuchini, green beans, snow peas, cucumbers.

Add oils: butter, bacon, coconut butter, olive oil, almonds, walnuts.

Eat dark and white meat chicken, beef, pork, eggs, fish, dairy.

Reduce: bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, corn, rice
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Patently false.

Patently true.

Citation needed.

Low-fat milk has a higher percentage of sugar because when you remove one component (ie fat) everything else has a higher percentage than before.

This is NOT the same as "adding sugar"

A cup of skim milk has more protein than a cup of whole milk. Do you think that was added too?

FairLife milk tastes the same.

Less sugar and more protein

http://fairlife.com/our-products/whole/

The chocolate milk is yum