Non fasted blood glucose

Options
Got some blood test results back.
I noticed my non fasting blood glucose was 78. How is this number?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    yoplait311 wrote: »

I think you should ask your doctor.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    normal range.
  • yoplait311
    yoplait311 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    yoplait311 wrote: »

I think you should ask your doctor.

Noted! However, Doctor is home for the night... And I was curious :)

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Did your blood panel sheet have a range on it? I am assuming you got your results printed out?

It would have told you if it was out of range and if it was, the doctor would have put a note on it to see him before that print out was given to you as there would have been a problem that warranted additional or re-testing..
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Here's a handy chart for reference.
    71oakkxim8b8.jpeg
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    70-100 is viewed a good reading by some.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that A normal fasting glucose is 60 to 100 milligrams per deciliter; your levels should rise no higher than 200 mg/dl one hour after eating and no more than 140 mg/dl two hours after finishing the snack. Most healthy people without diabetes have two-hour readings below 120 mg/dl.

If your doctor is concerned he/she will order a fasting glucose level but at 78, you'r probably fine. This info is just for "the norm" and obviously your doctor will know more since they can put it into the context of your overall health. Chances are, if they were worried they would have talked to you about it when telling you the number. My non fasting glucose level was like 80 and they told me I was optimal.
  • yoplait311
    yoplait311 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was pretty happy with the level. My fasting glucose should be in soon (I had to get a fasted panel too). I totally geek out about blood tests - I love seeing my numbers. I'm feeling pretty good about the 78!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Fasting values will give you much more accurate information. A1C is even better if you are looking for a diagnostic tool.