Are Birthdays a Diet's Worst Enemy?

Options
peanut613
peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
Hey everyone! I'm about a week into dieting. My birthday is in a few days, and my daughter's birthday a week after mine. That means one thing. Cake. My husband is a pastry chef at a local 4 star hotel and is making me a cake from scratch. It's likely to be high in calories, sugar, fats, and everything I've been trying to avoid. I'm going to be making cupcakes from a box mix for my daughter's party. At least with that, the box tells you exactly what you're getting. How do I avoid the dieting traps of a double whammy birthday, especially the mystery cake?

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Eat one piece, estimate the calories the best you can, and ENJOY YOURSELF! Your birthday will be no fun if you stress too much about the caloric content of the delicious cake your husband will lovingly make for you. Don't let your diet keep you from living your life.
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Eat one piece, estimate the calories the best you can, and ENJOY YOURSELF! Your birthday will be no fun if you stress too much about the caloric content of the delicious cake your husband will lovingly make for you. Don't let your diet keep you from living your life.
    I agree. It's your birthday- you deserve a day off. But if you're really really worried I'd say get in a hard-huge calorie burning workout the morning of both birthday gatherings so you at least know you've burned enough calories to equal that piece of cake. After that relax & enjoy the day & get back on track the next day.
  • Kmdforsythe
    Kmdforsythe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You should definitely let yourself have some cake, its your birthday! Since you know who is making the cake, ask your husband for the recipe and put it into the recipe creator, it will tell you how many calories are in the cake. Have a good birthday!
  • Debbiecastor
    Options
    Enjoy...enjoy...enjoy!!! Maybe do some extra calorie burning exercises early in the day and eat cake!!! Birthdays are special!! Just roughly calculate, with hubby's help, how many calories are in a piece of his scrumptious cake, and go for it!!! Happy Birthday by the way!!! :flowerforyou:
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would just say to enjoy yourself and not worry about the calories on the birthdays. Or, you can exercise in the morning on both days and eat healthy all day until the party. Or just be super good all week and the week after until the next party. You are not going to gain 5 lbs just from one day.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    1 word

CUPCAKES!!!

have 1 at each event

make 24 freeze half and then thaw out for the next event and then decorate and then make sure what is left over gets given away if they don't all get eaten by the guests

as for your birthday go with 1 slice of the myster cake and take lots of pictures of the beautiful professional cake.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes are a great idea! Made 24 for my son's birthday and only had 2 in the week following. We ended up throwing away 9 of them.

Or just ask him to make a small 6" cake for each event.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm not dreading the birthdays quite as much now. :happy:

(And thanks for the early birthday wishes!)
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm afraid I had the same problem as you last week. Mine and my daughters birthday in the same week. I was fine on her birthday, I knew how much frosting I'd put on the cake and it wasn't that appealing to me, I had a small piece. I weighed myself a few days later and found I'd put on several pounds despite sticking to my goals. I'd originally planned to be good, but I lost all motivation then. Just don't do what I do and then merge one day off into 4 :)

Our joint birthday picnic wasn't actually too bad, lots of fruit.
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    Oh also with my daughters cake, it was big and there was only a few of us. I gave everyone that came to see her blow her candles out a huge slab and then gave the rest to neighbours who have children so I didn't have any in the house, or I would have caved.