How come I am eating more but am so hungry?

Options
I am on my third day of watching what I eat and all I want to do is eat!!! I can usually go all day without eating or even thinking of food and now I am eating 5 meals a day, 2000 calories and starving!! Or at least desiring food all the time. I hate that. This is what always happens when I join weight watchers and I end up quitting. What causes that I wonder?

Replies

• teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am on my third day of watching what I eat and all I want to do is eat!!! I can usually go all day without eating or even thinking of food and now I am eating 5 meals a day, 2000 calories and starving!! Or at least desiring food all the time. I hate that. This is what always happens when I join weight watchers and I end up quitting. What causes that I wonder?
  • lasmith012
    Options
    the things you are eating may be causing your metabolism to speed up, then your body is using it quicker than if you were eating junk~!
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    try filling up on low calorie foods at first. Carrots are good to munch on, apple, oranges, cabbage (some ppl like it dry...) anything that can keep your mouth busy. i would really try to AVOID 100 cal packs and the "weight watchers" muffins and things like that. If you trade and egg, or something unprocessed like that ( on the stove oatmeal with honey and rasins, salad with EVOO and vinegar , tuna fish in a can on whole wheat bread, ect) you might find that you feel fuller longer. It takes your body longer to process those things so it stays in you stomach longer. It also allows your body to use it efficiently.
    sry that was really long...
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    What lasmith says may be true. Also look into the types of foods you are eating. Foods high in carbohydrates (especially containing refined flour) burn off fast and tend to make you VERY hungry, very fast, whereas, foods higher in protein and fiber can satisfy and sustain you for longer periods of time.
  • Cassia
    Options
    OH!! and drink LOTS of water and herbal teas with just a dab of honey. Chew a lot of gum and suck on a peppermint- just remember to log it!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    When you eat more often, your stomach and brain will start to expect food more often. So you will get hungrier more often.
  • alissandrya
    Options
    When we are actively dieting, we think about what we are eating (or not eating) almost all day- especially in the first 1-2 weeks. You begin logging every morsel and probably find you are thinking about food far more often during the day then you did when you just ate whatever you wanted. Well, our brains have a trigger that when we think about food- we get hungry. This happens when you smell food too- hungry or not, you may eat those fries because they smell so good.

Food cravings and feeling hungry are normal- but can be devastating in the early weeks of your committment to change. First, I would break up your 2000 calorie alottment into at least 5 meals per day. This can go a long way to minimizing actual hunger throughout the day. Second, know that your brain is reacting to you own thinking about food. Plan your meals early in the day- focus on spending less time thinking about what you are going to eat ( I dont know about you, but I have such a love affair with food, that by the last bite of breakfast, I can be planning lunch in my head!) 3- Get busy! Find something you like to do and start doing it more (not eating-lol) If it can be something like walking great- if it is just knitting- great too. Start replacing the time you think about food with another activity. 4- Wait it out. This will get better. It will.

Good luck to you- and best of luck in your journey!
  • Cassia
    Options
    When we are actively dieting, we think about what we are eating (or not eating) almost all day- especially in the first 1-2 weeks. You begin logging every morsel and probably find you are thinking about food far more often during the day then you did when you just ate whatever you wanted. Well, our brains have a trigger that when we think about food- we get hungry. This happens when you smell food too- hungry or not, you may eat those fries because they smell so good.

Food cravings and feeling hungry are normal- but can be devastating in the early weeks of your committment to change. First, I would break up your 2000 calorie alottment into at least 5 meals per day. This can go a long way to minimizing actual hunger throughout the day. Second, know that your brain is reacting to you own thinking about food. Plan your meals early in the day- focus on spending less time thinking about what you are going to eat ( I dont know about you, but I have such a love affair with food, that by the last bite of breakfast, I can be planning lunch in my head!) 3- Get busy! Find something you like to do and start doing it more (not eating-lol) If it can be something like walking great- if it is just knitting- great too. Start replacing the time you think about food with another activity. 4- Wait it out. This will get better. It will.

Good luck to you- and best of luck in your journey!
    thumbs up on this one!
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you for your kind replies. It helps! And I know you are right about thinking about food. I have had to stop watching the food network, (my favorite channel!) because it makes me crave food so bad. I never had that before. I just want this diet to work. You would think that someone who had the strength to survive cancer could survive not eating a bag of cheetos! Its crazy! Teri