Fitness trainer with lack of encouragement

Options
I have lost 18 pounds and found out I love running when I started 0 to 10k I have made it to week 8 and started having pas anserine pain. I asked a fitness trainer at the Club I go to and really all she told me is not every one can be a runner.... Well I was hoping more for what i can do to get past this now I'm feeling hopless and discouraged because she made it sound like it will always happen. I don't want to give up I have goals and want to,run a half marathon next year I have 40 more pounds to lose so I know this Can help

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It wasn't clear to her that you wanted advice. She just didn't want you to feel inadequate because of the pain. You don't have to run to lose weight or become fit. There are many ways to reach these goals.

I don't have advice on what to do about the pain, but I'm sure lots of people will.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with an orthopedist or a sports medicine doctor...
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't go to a fitness trainer at your gym for advice on managing a very specific medical condition. I didn't know what pes-anserine was but according to http://www.houstonmethodist.org/orthopedics/where-does-it-hurt/knee/pes-anserine-bursitis/, it seems to be an overuse injury. You probably did too much too soon. You need to see a physical therapist or doctor for proper guidance. Didn't the doctor who diagnosed the problem tell you what to do and what activities would be appropriate?
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I got sharp knee pains when i started off running and other sorts of pains.. i talked to a retired Army officer who was also a trainer --he told me you have to build muscle/strength train before you start running. He showed me how to stretch, and do leg lifts and various weight exercises for legs. Within WEEKS of working out i felt amazingly stronger and tried running again and never had any of my original pains.
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    btw -not everyone who is a trainer knows what they're doing --but this guy i talked to did for sure!!
    (that's why I'm sharing what i learned)
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Firstly, everyone can be a running. What a stupid thing for someone to say. Just another reason to avoid "trainers" at the gym.

Did you go straight from couch to 10k? If so you might want to wind it back a bit and do couch to 5k. Sounds like you have just done too much to soon.

As mentioned in the article above. Start using ice on your knee and take some anti-inflammatories. You are going to probably have to take at least a week or so off of running.

You need to make sure that you still exercise the knee, so try and get out of a "brisk" walk. Nothing to hard and nothing that causes pain, but enough to get your blood flowing. After maybe 10 minutes brisk walking, then look at doing your stretching.

Don't try and stretch cold muscles as you can just increase the injury.
    When you re-start your running, go back a few weeks in your training. I would start with at least 2 weeks back in your training plan for each week you have off from running.

Build back up slowly, keep to a pace which you can maintain with out feeling any pain, outside of the normal aches you get from running. Stop the moment you start feeling pain which isn't "normal".

Also, don't be afraid to repeat weeks of the training, don't progress to the next week just because the plan says you should. Progress when you are ready and when you are feeling strong.

Also, sorry to say @kisses71213 you don't need any strength training before you start running. In August 2013, I started couch to 5k, without being able to run for more than 5 minutes. I stuck to the C25k plan and then did 5k210k plan. In April 2014 I ran my first 50km race (7hours) and then in September 2015 I ran my first 100km (15hours).
    I have only started strength work after my 100km this year.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, the trainer was not in general wrong. There are people who cannot be runners, because of health limitations. So, in general, the trainer was correct.
    Now, as for the specifics in your case, sometimes running comes with injuries, sometimes you need a break, sometimes you need to slow down, sometimes you need physical therapy. Or in rare cases you find out there is an underlying issue that means you cannot be a runner.
    Chances are you probably need just some rest. You do not push through any joint or tendon pain, you stop whatever it is you are doing unless a dr recommends something different. Rest, and if the pain persists after a few days, get a dr appointment. If the rest helps, when you start again, slow down. Even if you feel you can do more.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    She should have encouraged you to get proper medical advise for your condition. Any other form of encouragement would have been irresponsible of her considering: a) you have an injury b) She is not your trainer and thus unfamiliar with your history c) she can't opine whether you should continue to exercise because of liability d) She is not a doctor, so she can't prescribe treatment or rehab.

You have an injury, which is technically a medical condition. If this trainer had "encouraged you" to stick with running and you had incurred permanent injury bc you followed her "professional advice" as a representative of the gym; you could then turn around sue her *and* the gym. -- yes, this happens all the time.
    Like I said, the person to ask how you can heal an injury and whether you can continue exercising is a doctor or PT- not a trainer, not strangers on the internet.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    talk to a doctor and disregard that unhelpful trainer.
    dr should be able to help you with the pain thru diagnosis and treatment. (though realize that some doctors do not love runners either)
    get fitted for good shoes-generally at an independent running store. not all feet, ankles, knees, hips, etc were made equal. shoes can help prevent further injury. they should be able to do a gait analysis for a free or minimal fee and ask you what your goals are, where you are running, and how much. They can help you pick out shoes from there. They won't be cheap. you can ask if they still have last years model-this can help with the price.

rest, do take rest days. these programs all have rest days built in. rest.

no strength training is needed to start but you might find it will help you as a running and prevent injury. this can be anything from yoga to squats and other bodyweight exercises to lifting.

and like was said and is contrary to what we learned when we were younger-do not do static stretches before you warm up. do those after your run/walk

I have found that Runners World has a wealth of information. Not all of it is true-like eating at night will make you fat-but it is a good resource. There is even a section for beginners
  • morihay
    morihay Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the info...I started losing weight So I can run, not running to lose weight to explain a little of my dissapointment. Dr only suggested I speak to a trainer to get ideas to get past this. I did she was less than helpfull but last night found what I was looking for a trainer who specializes in running and today he's going to help me with,the plan I was looking for strength training ect I am doing 0 to 10k not c25k but I'm only upto The 5k week so I see little differance in the program up to now it was a slow progression..
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    morihay wrote: »
    Thank you for all the info...I started losing weight So I can run, not running to lose weight to explain a little of my dissapointment. Dr only suggested I speak to a trainer to get ideas to get past this. I did she was less than helpfull but last night found what I was looking for a trainer who specializes in running and today he's going to help me with,the plan I was looking for strength training ect I am doing 0 to 10k not c25k but I'm only upto The 5k week so I see little differance in the program up to now it was a slow progression..

Excellent idea. The other trainer probably just doesn't specialize in running. That doesn't mean they're not a good trainer. Good luck and hope it goes well for you.