how did you get started on your journey?

Options

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    For me, I think the key way I got started (and continued) was to add a little bit of structure to my eating.

I started with calorie counting, something I'd done before, but what really changed this time was:
    1. I'm being reasonable with my goals. The last time I was counting calories, I was 350 pounds and trying to eat 1350 calories per day. Not at all reasonable, and I was (for good reason) always starving. I lost fast before (too fast, actually) but it never stuck. This time I started at around 1900 per day, which was still aggressive but not too aggressive - I lose about as fast as I can safely lose without risking health or too much lean mass, and I'm rarely all that hungry.

2. I have a plan. I still make sure that every day, my meals are logged in advance for the next day. This really keeps me on track - I know what I'll eat and when.

3. I track success and failure. It sounds silly, but I use Habitica, which is a game that involves you creating tasks that you want to do, and rewards you like an RPG - experience, levels, gold, gear, etc. It's actually a good feeling when I get to click a little "I did that" on my page and see myself gaining XP.

4. I became active in this community, rather than just a user of the app without any interaction with others. I think that kind of focus helps me keep on target, and it's nice to motivate others and have them motivate you.

5. I planned how I would respond to failure, temptation, and frustration. I think this is key - even if you start with perfect intentions, reality is messier. Going over one day is a minor stumble, allowing that one day to progress into a week, month, or year of not caring is devastating. At least two prior attempts failed because I was frustrated at "plateaus" that really, in retrospect, were likely nothing more than prolonged water retention that I could have waited out if I hadn't gotten impatient and frustrated. This time I approached this with a different perspective - this isn't something I'm doing for a limited time, it's my new life, and the only real time limit is the number of years of life I have left.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I was convinced I could prove to the world that a calorie does not equal a calorie and if I ate paleo while losing .5 pounds a week doing MFP I was going to lose 20 pounds in a month (I was such an idiot). 1 month in and only 4 pounds down I started getting on the MFP forums and learned everything I thought I knew about weightloss was a lie.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I started two years ago when a Nephrologist told me the pain I was feeling in my flank was "just because of the extra weight." So I bought a new pair of sneakers that day and lost 26 lbs. She was wrong of course, the pain in my flank was a big ole kidney stone stuck in my ureter. It took 5 day surgeries to get the stone out. During that time, my grandfather passed away, then my dad had a stroke and passed a month later. I was devastated by the loss of my dad. Then two months later my uncle died and my mother sold the house I grew up in. Needless to say , with all the emotional stuff I gained all the weight I lost and more back.

This May, my fitbit flex broke so my husband surprised me with a new ChargeHR. It kind of motivated me to get my grove going again. Then I saw a picture of what I actually looked like and I went full force.

This time I am not depriving myself of anything I really want, I just fit it into my calorie goal. That has made all the difference and I feel like I got it this time.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did, upon release from the hospital on March 8, 2015, was give up Pepsi and began counting carbs. On my follow up visit to the Doctor, he said I could avoid going on yet another medication if I lost 20% of my body weight. I began walking. I began to make serious changes in my diet and began counting calories. By September 8, 2015, I had lost 20% of my body weight, was averaging 30 miles of walking a week, and doing strength training 3 times a week. Not only did I not have to start another medication, but I have discontinued another and cut the dosage in half for yet another. I am over half way to goal and feel much better mentally and physically. I do not "plan" meals, but I do pre-log a treat some days, do batch cooking, so there is always something in the freezer that is easy and quick to heat and eat, and keep the refrigerator stocked with no fat dairy, fruits and vegetables.
  • COMMANDO33
    COMMANDO33 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Picked up my gym bag aand went to the gym
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had seen my nutritionist a few days earlier and she gave me a list of healthy snack/dinner ideas so I went to the grocery store and bought a ton of healthy food. Started going to fitness classes at my gym and eating better.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I hold off from eating snacks in the morning. That was my start
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Got a treadmill and started walking. I didn't really start paying attention to my food until I lost about 20 pounds and got stuck, then found this fine place.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I finally stepped on the dreaded scale, I knew it was going to be bad, but I was ready for it! So on Feb 22 2015 I WOKE up at 295 lbs, looked at my husband and said NO MORE! That night I joined MFP. I took over the cooking and the shopping. I started with cutting out pop and juice, than tea, now I pretty much only drink water. I spent a lot of time on the internet, researching and finding healthier recipes to much loved recipes and foods. I also starting moving a lot more, and starting eating throughout the day. I plan, shop and cook for a family of 5, we are on a very tight budget and can not afford to eat different things, so we all pretty much eat the same foods. I am nearly 60 lbs and my husband has lost close to 30 lbs on diet alone, and the kids are also much healthier.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    At the age of 20, I had both of my ovaries removed.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Steadily increasing weight at each annual doctors appointment, I finally started back at the gym with 5 minutes of Zumba. That was all I could do before I got too winded and had to sit. Got fit, lost like 30 lbs, plateaued, read a post on another forum about not losing weight being about eating too many calories, and it finally clicked what MFP was even for LOL
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    - The first thing I did was take pictures and measure myself, I think. I can't even tell you how glad I am that I did, since, 57 lbs down, I can't see much of a difference in my appearance unless I'm looking at before and after photos.

- I immediately started counting calories, too. Like, from Day 1. I figured out how many calories I needed to consume daily in order to lose 2 lbs a week and promised myself I'd do my best to adhere to that. Next, I planned how to best do that. Since restrictive diets and low-carb diets have never worked for me in the past, I decided not to eliminate anything. Instead, I made a list of what I could cut down on (i.e., juice) and what I could substitute for healthier alternatives (dark chocolate, whole grain products, etc).

- I chose one day a week to weigh myself (Friday) and swore to stick with it.

- I decided what I was going to do for exercise, as well as when, where, and how often I was going to do it.

- I created a new Notebook in Evernote, because I'm one of those people who likes writing lists and journaling. Each month I create a new page that lists my goals for the month, my NSVs and other accomplishments, my fumbles and setbacks, etc. Here's an example of my entry for August, if anyone is curious:

uYBOydx.jpg

That's it, basically. Make a plan of action and stick with it, and make sure you have something to measure your progress by, be it pictures, measurements, data/graphs, or some sort of journal system.
  • funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    For me, I think the key way I got started (and continued) was to add a little bit of structure to my eating.

I started with calorie counting, something I'd done before, but what really changed this time was:
    1. I'm being reasonable with my goals. The last time I was counting calories, I was 350 pounds and trying to eat 1350 calories per day. Not at all reasonable, and I was (for good reason) always starving. I lost fast before (too fast, actually) but it never stuck. This time I started at around 1900 per day, which was still aggressive but not too aggressive - I lose about as fast as I can safely lose without risking health or too much lean mass, and I'm rarely all that hungry.

2. I have a plan. I still make sure that every day, my meals are logged in advance for the next day. This really keeps me on track - I know what I'll eat and when.

3. I track success and failure. It sounds silly, but I use Habitica, which is a game that involves you creating tasks that you want to do, and rewards you like an RPG - experience, levels, gold, gear, etc. It's actually a good feeling when I get to click a little "I did that" on my page and see myself gaining XP.

4. I became active in this community, rather than just a user of the app without any interaction with others. I think that kind of focus helps me keep on target, and it's nice to motivate others and have them motivate you.

5. I planned how I would respond to failure, temptation, and frustration. I think this is key - even if you start with perfect intentions, reality is messier. Going over one day is a minor stumble, allowing that one day to progress into a week, month, or year of not caring is devastating. At least two prior attempts failed because I was frustrated at "plateaus" that really, in retrospect, were likely nothing more than prolonged water retention that I could have waited out if I hadn't gotten impatient and frustrated. This time I approached this with a different perspective - this isn't something I'm doing for a limited time, it's my new life, and the only real time limit is the number of years of life I have left.

Great tips - especially #5. I'm also going to check out Habitica. Thanks!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    After my "ah ha" moment I didn't want to overwhelm myself too much and go off the rails. So I would say to myself "just for today I'm not going to snack after dinner" (mind you my idea of a snack was like 15 cookies or a huge bowl of cereal). Then after that it was like "ok - this week I'm going to brown bag my lunch instead of going out to eat with my co-workers". And so basically I made these little small changes, and then I started logging my food onto this app (I was on here I think in 2010 but kind of forgot about it). I saw people talking about food scales so I decided to get one and see what that was all about. And I lost weight, and I kept losing weight and I now weigh what I did when I graduated high school in 1991 (with MUCH better hair) :smiley:
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was in so much pain from my weight I couldn't take it anymore. I have 2 special needs toddler that I take care of by myself. I could not hardly bend over the change diapers or pick them. I was done with it.
    I pretty much just dove right into it. I don't know what in me changed, or what the motivation was, but I just did it:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I can't even really tell you what the ah ha moment was, but I do remember that one day I just decided to join a gym. It was a Friday, I hired a personal trainer on the following Tuesday and I never really looked back. My trainer helped me with exercise and diet. I did not do it in small steps, I went all in and started exercising, cut out soda, stopped eating out at lunch, started measuring my portions and stopped buying my trigger foods....all in one week. Best decision I ever made.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just started weighing and logging food. I worked on portion control so I never felt like I was depriving myself. For fitness I did what I enjoyed rather than what I thought I should do. I like to hike and walk so I kept doing that as much as I could. Exercising has gone out the window now the days are getting shorter though.
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have always felt overweight. It started in high school when I'd try to lose a size by writing down everything I ate and running twice a week on weekend mornings. After I graduated high school I started dieting and I got a job. Along the way I inspired my family to buy a scale and to go on diets. Now I am vegetarian and my sister is vegan. I eat a bar of dark chocolate at least once a week. I track all my calories on mfp. Not writing it down and having the mfp database helps so much. I do not exercise because I have problems with my feet. However I have not accomplished my target weight in these 7 years of dieting so I am still working to get there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just started eating more healthfully and substantially reduced the amount of "junk" in my diet. I made it a point to get in 6-8 servings of veg and fruit daily (emphasis on veg), started eating more lean sourced protein, introduced myself to whole grains, and started eating things like avocado and nuts and cooking with avocado and olive oil more than butter.

I had a lot of bad blood work when I started out so I started researching how I should eat to address those issues.

I dropped a good 20 Lbs before signing on to MFP.