Back at it and exhausted!!

Options
I've taken a break recently, due to a family bereavement, from tracking everything and worrying about what i eat or exercise. I took just over a month out, so that i could focus on being with family, comforting them and helping with arrangements. Which basically meant little exercise and lots of comfort food, resulting in me putting 9lb back on (prior to this had lost 40lb). I'm trying to throw myself back into it, being strict Mon-Sat and having a more relaxed day on Sunday. However, im really struggling. I have no motivation, i just feel tired, sore and hungry all the time. I've just started tracking properly again from yesterday, but my body is craving junk. It's so disheartening. Leading a healhier lifestyle is supposed to give you energy and make you feel good, but all it's doing at the moment is making me sore. tired, hungry and grumpy. They would be so disappointed in me. Anyone experienced struggling getting back into the swings of things after a break? Any tips? As right now i feeli like i just want to give up and give myself the comfort im craving.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what your stats are or what you are doing to lose the weight, but I have a feeling you are doing too much. Either you are working out too much or you aren't eating enough. This shouldn't punishment. You didn't do anything wrong.

If you are set to lose 2lbs/week, reduce it to 1lb. It will give you more calories to work with, making it so you aren't as tired, hungry and grumpy. You'll still lose the weight, it will just be slower.

If you are working out everyday, M-Sat, cut down to 3-4 days instead of 6.

When I know I have to get a grip on what I've done, I give myself 1 rule. Like "no work free food". If I'm at work, I eat what I bring (what I've already measured and weighed and looked up the calories on). Or no candy, cookies, pies, cakes, etc. I know if I can make it 2 weeks with following these rules I won't want them any more. As soon as I start eating it and letting go, I want more and more. Otherwise, I eat what I want within my calorie range (and by the way, I've never eaten at a rate any faster than .5lbs/week. I can't mentally do it.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I was grumpy when I first started. It actually makes sense to me that you have to go through that grumpy stage again when you start over. I was definitely surprised at the portion size allowed and thought........that's it? I'll starve! lol

I piled on the veggies to give me some bulk to meals. And I really upped my protein, which helped with the hunger and energy.
  • hotelsix
    hotelsix Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 back after a break and I have also noticed I am incredibly grumpy and tired and anxious. I am hoping after a week or two back into the swing of things that I will be back to my happy and cheery self :smile: It always helps to know that others are having these struggles as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    Do check in to see if you are trying to do too much too soon. What are you doing for exercise? Maybe throw some gentle yoga into the mix to help you relax. I suggest getting some cardio to help with stress but not so much as to punish yourself.

Regarding the junk food, maybe try tweaking your macros to see if eating more protein and fat and less carbs keeps you full longer. Worked for me!

{{{{{ hugs }}}}}
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You're probably emotionally exhausted and depleted. Be gentle with yourself. Maybe try some low-level exercise like walking and stretching, and just concentrate on heathy eating instead of a deficit. Give your body & mind a chance to heal & recover before stressing it with a rigorous program. Take care.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Remember that you're doing this for yourself, so others disappointment is irrelevant. Start with the logging and work your way back to the exercise. You've got this!