Support needed

Options
Hey y'all! So I'm happy with my weight, but I have to restrict my diet because I have hypertension. I just really don't have the motivation to lower my sodium and do what my cardiologist is suggesting. Can somebody please help me? I don't want to have my health at risk, but it's like I can't stop.

Replies

• JustCallMeTes
    JustCallMeTes Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That's definitely hard to deal with I'm sure, but there are many issues that come along with uncontrolled hypertension. Maybe you could meet with a nutritionist or dietitian. They're awesome with helping to modify your diet to reach a goal but still allow you to enjoy the things you love :) I'm sure your cardiologist or primary care doctor can recommend one to you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For now, add one or two home cooked meals each week (no salt):
    Try baked chicken thighs (freeze the extras to reheat later) and a bunch of low carb veggies like broccoli or green beans.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of things I don't like to do, but if it's a cardiologist suggesting them.... I'm on it. Though day to day I struggle with sodium being one of the harder to control, there are actually quite a few options. Just about anything canned is higher in sodium unless you buy the no sodium varieties. But bag beans are essentially sodium free, you can even get lower sodium meats, etc.

It does take some effort to find the things, but overall I don't think the flavor suffers really. Most of the lower sodium options I've found are just as tasty... so you have that on your side.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If your heart health is at risk at only 18, then ignoring your cardiologist is not really an option. Talk to your parents and seek support. Get an appointment with a dietitian to get a meal plan you can follow. Maybe a therapist would be a good idea to support you through the lifestyle changes you will need to make.
  • amberweaver97
    amberweaver97 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I live on my own, and I know what foods to eat. I just don't really care to eat them I guess, even though I've been dealing with these problems since I was born. I'm starting over today though! I'm having egg muffins for breakfast!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I live on my own, and I know what foods to eat. I just don't really care to eat them I guess, even though I've been dealing with these problems since I was born. I'm starting over today though! I'm having egg muffins for breakfast!

This is where a therapist helps.
  • christy_jensen8
    christy_jensen8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a meal replacement shake once or twice a day
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I too know what you are going through. One way I helped reduce sodium was foods that were "bland" I added some spicy peppers, dried pepper flakes, pepper itself, etc, etc. You should work your way up slowly - unless you can tolerate a good burn. Eating bland foods (lower sodium) but adding spices can help "spice" up the dinner.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So, you need to do something for your health (per your doctor), but you don't want to? And you want non-doctors to give you advice about it?

Ok.

My advice is to do what the medical professional is telling you, whether you want to or not.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! So I'm happy with my weight, but I have to restrict my diet because I have hypertension. I just really don't have the motivation to lower my sodium and do what my cardiologist is suggesting. Can somebody please help me? I don't want to have my health at risk, but it's like I can't stop.

I don't understand how anyone here can help you? If your own doctor can't motivate you to do it with the threat of serious health problems I'm not sure what some rando on the internet can do.

The only thing I can add is it's your choice. You have to make the decision. No one else can do it for you.
    I think this kind of applies here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Just for clarification, do you have a hard time eating enough in general, or just a hard time avoiding sodium?

The sodium part does make it more challenging for sure. It seems like many of the quick and easy things are sodium loaded. And if you are only cooking for one those options often come into the picture.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I used to add salt to everything. One day, for no particular reason, I chose to stop. It was that simple. Now I can tell when something is high in salt. I know it sounds easy to say stop cooking with it, but your taste buds will adapt. It's your life and your health.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

So having your doctor advise you on how to avoid a potential life threatening situation due to your existing condition isn't motivation enough to make a change in your diet?
  • amberweaver97
    Options
    It isn't that easy. It was something i was born with. It doesn't phase me, just like the other half a million Americans with heart disease keep shoving what they want into their mouth.
  • amberweaver97
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Just for clarification, do you have a hard time eating enough in general, or just a hard time avoiding sodium?

The sodium part does make it more challenging for sure. It seems like many of the quick and easy things are sodium loaded. And if you are only cooking for one those options often come into the picture.
    It's more so the eating in general, but since a lot of foods are so high in sodium that's difficult as well
  • ArwenP
    ArwenP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My husband uses "lite salt" or "potassium salt" that can be found in almost any grocery store. It cuts the sodium with potassium so he east a lot less sodium, but it tastes just as salty. Also, I find when I cook for him with other strong spices (garlic is a big fav for him), he doesn't miss that I don't salt the food. Maybe get adventurous with other spices first, then only add salt as a last resort.

What are the highest sodium foods you eat? Maybe we can give you some modifications or smart swaps that would fill your craving with less sodium.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It isn't that easy. It was something i was born with. It doesn't phase me, just like the other half a million Americans with heart disease keep shoving what they want into their mouth.

Well, there really isn't anything that's going to allow you to eat the way you do now that will make the sodium negligible for your condition. It's going to require a lot of research and hard work, but you could figure out ways to eat similar foods but made differently. The first would be to stop adding salt to anything, if you are, or at least half the amount the first couple weeks than half that amount the next couple weeks and so on.

Either way, I guess you'll either take the initiative and change (which is hard, yes, but doable), or maybe it'll take a serious complication for you to find the motivation you need to go ahead and start lowering your sodium or/and changing your diet.