Diabetes?

Options
bethrs
bethrs Posts: 664 Member
Hi All.
I know you guys aren't doctors, but I trust a lot of you as much, if not more, than I do the general internet. My brother recently got diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I know how to feed my body well and I understand nutrition on a pretty decent level- but I have a hard time wrapping my brain around how to diabetes changes these things.

I know a little about the glycemic index, and generally what foods are better than others (sweet potatoes over white, etc.) but I don't know much about what sort of goals a person with diabetes should be shooting for in terms of sugar intake. Or other changes one would make to MFP to make it diabetes friendly.

If anyone has any experience or help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Replies

• JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes and had to see a nutritionist. I know the big thing is eating plenty of good carbs to break down the sugar. I had to eat 45 grams of carbs at every meal. Hope this helps!
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    My father was just diagnosed with the same thing, so I am curious too :flowerforyou:
  • w_sanford
    w_sanford Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, he should go see a Registered Dietitian...you can find them online by going to eatright.org.

And, if you would like to message me, I would be happy to answer questions for you, as I am a RD!
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've had it for quite sometime now. Recently my doctor suggested a South Beach type diet. You basically want to try to avoid your sweets, refined white flour, fast food. Things like that. Does he have to monitor his sugar? He should log what he eats and take a blood sugar before and 2 hours after eating. Log how he feels after. Like did his sugar spike after this meal and felt sleepy. Then he look at what he ate and make adjustments. With diet and exercise, hopefully he can get it under control quick. Good luck to you and him.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic I truly have to say that is best left for the Doctor. It truly depends on where his sugar levels are and the meds he is taking. Not only do you have to watch the sugar but the carbs too. Carbs are really sugars anyway.

As a general diabetic guideline, half the plate veggies, quarter of the plate protein and the other quarter starch. Please be reminded that starches include potatos, corn and peas. 4 Servings of veggies everyday!

Staying active will also be of help to him along with drinking lots of water same as the rest of the MFP family. Also just like the rest of us the protein should be lean protein vs protein from fattier sources such as hamburger.

Fruit can be eaten but you have to follow the guideline from the Doctor as fruit has alot of sugar. Most MFPers don't need to worry about fruit sugars but your brother will.

Best of Luck!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic I truly have to say that is best left for the Doctor. It truly depends on where his sugar levels are and the meds he is taking. Not only do you have to watch the sugar but the carbs too. Carbs are really sugars anyway.

As a general diabetic guideline, half the plate veggies, quarter of the plate protein and the other quarter starch. Please be reminded that starches include potatos, corn and peas. 4 Servings of veggies everyday!

Staying active will also be of help to him along with drinking lots of water same as the rest of the MFP family. Also just like the rest of us the protein should be lean protein vs protein from fattier sources such as hamburger.

Fruit can be eaten but you have to follow the guideline from the Doctor as fruit has alot of sugar. Most MFPers don't need to worry about fruit sugars but your brother will.

Best of Luck!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Being a nurse, I second the idea of getting the info from the doctor, a registered dietician or a diabetes instructor. Diabetes is a complicated metabolic process.. it's not feasible to give you an accurate answer about it here.. it would take a textbook of information..
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What you need, is to take classes from a diabetes educator. You can usually find classes through your local hospital. He needs to take the classes as well.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. This all really helps a lot. Unfortunately, we are all very displeased with his doctor, who informed him of this diagnosis through a letter and mailed his prescription to him. He did not help him out with any education what-so-ever.

This is going to be a huge change for him, and I'm working hard to get the whole family on the right page since he's generally not the cook. I will try to suggest that he sees a dietician or maybe take a class.
    Thanks!
  • PHATCHIK
    PHATCHIK Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic. I highly recommend and absolutely swear by a product called "Total Lean Thermo CLA" by GNC. This product alone has dropped my daily glucose numbers by at least 20 points!! I take 2 pills 2x a day. Before using this product my daily glucose numbers were anywhere between 135-165. Now I am consistently between 98-125. My A1c was 7.7 now it is 6.1.....I also walk on the treadmill or walk 1 mile daily. Takes about 20min. Strength training with weights also helps....nothing to serious. I also recommend a book titled, "Diabetes for Dummies by Alan L Rubin, MD. This book is AMAZING! As for diet, I recommend a book titled, "Flat Belly Diet Diabetes!" by Liz Vaccariello. This is a great book and diet plan. It is full of overs 200 delicious recipies and even has exercise information. Good luck to you! I am sure you can get these books on Amazon.com or look them up on the internet.