Gym etiquette

Options
Well..I just joined a gym and now have a personal training once a week..my question for you is..what is proper gym etiquette? What do I need to know in a gym? What do you like to see other gym members do or wish other gym members knew not to do??

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• FinalOutrage
    Options
    Bring a towel...never want to leave the equipment sweaty for the next person to use.
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    I think that when you are taking your time between sets you need to get off the machines so someone else can use them. Not just sit there and talk to your beddies!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS wipe down equipment when you're done. Even the free (hand) weights. No one wants to touch something that someone else's sweaty hands, body, etc has touched.

Don't hog machines. Do your stuff and move on. Especially if the gym is busy (I mean - if you're there and you're alone, it doesn't matter... lol).

And these ones are just personal things I've run into at my gym:

Deodorant is a must. Perfume. Cologne or other "scenty" stuff isn't. It makes you smell nasty after you've worked out AND makes the rest of us gag.

I think that's it.... I have some personal ones (like don't talk to me while I'm running), but overall these are the big ones.
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    always take an mp3 player/ipod with you, this way you don't have to talk to anyone. i know this sounds stuck up but i'm there to focus on my body and my gym time is when i work my stress out..i don't want to talk. everyone has different opinions on how long to stay on a piece of equipment. I like to do an hour on the elliptical or treadmill but if someone is sitting there staring at me after thirty minutes I just get off and get on something else until they are done with their ten minute workout.
    When i was 250 and going to the gym i had this one girl giving me advice and I hated that. I didn't want to hear about weight watchers and how her mom got rid of cellulite with baby oil. (i was wearing sweats all that time)

also, one thing i used to do is worry the WHOLE time about how i looked, if my back was showing, my thighs were jiggling, etc. Finally I decided that I didn't CARE what people thought at the gym and it helps me to workout harder and faster. Try to enjoy and not stress and just remember what you are there for. I hope that it turns out to be a fun part of your day like it is mine :)
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been going to my gym for a long time. I can't stand it when people talk loudly on their cell phones. If I can hear you over my Ipod that really ticks me off. I don't want to listen to your conversation. I also hate it when people do not wipe down the machine they just finished using. They sweat and it gets all over the machines... just take a few mins and wipe them down people!! Sorry for the rant, but those things just irritate me. Other than that I love working out around others. They are great motivation sometimes.

Have fun at the gym :smile:
    481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    Lol, i think etiquette should be that if you are super slim and tall and pretty, you should be BANNED from wearing tight lycra crop tops and hot pants and then picking the treadmill NEXT TO ME!!!

And people wonder why i quit the gym and start running outside lol!...
  • woodardbj
    woodardbj Posts: 6
    Options
    The most common thing is to clean up after yourself. If you use a machine just give it a courtesy wipe down when you're finished. Most gyms have sanitizer and paper towels for this purpose. It's kinda gross when you get to a piece of equipment that someone else has used and it's all wet.
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    -cellphones and cardio equipment dont mix.
    -If you're going to a groupx class, please wear deoterant,
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    congrats on making a big step!! A couple of my pet peeves:

1) people trying to carry on a lengthy conversation with me while I am working out
    2) someone constantly talking so loud on the cell phone next to me on the treadmill that I can hear them over my headphones
    3) people that don't wipe their sweat off the machines when they are finished
  • icewyche
    icewyche Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    First, always wipe off the equipment after you use it. If your gym doesn't provide antibacterial wipes, bring some, because it's really disgusting to use a machine after someone else and find it all sweaty. Second, the gym isn't a living room - don't sit on a piece of equipment for 20 minutes if you're not actively using it. And try to keep the grunting to a minimum...I know there's physical exertion involved, but if you sound like you're undergoing the Spanish Inquisition, it might be a good idea to take the workout down a notch. :wink:
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    -Clean up after yourself. Always wipe down your machine after you're done using it. They usually have paper towels and a cleaner available. If you borrow their magazines to read then put them back where you found it.

-Don't start long conversations with people who are clearly in the zone and not interested in talking.

-If you change the weight intensity on a weight machine, change it back to zero/the lowest number when you're done.

-If the gym is super busy and every machine is occupied, don't spend your usual 60 minutes on a machine when there are people waiting.

-Please, DON'T talk on a cellphone or have loud conversations where I can hear you across the gym.

-If you're not using a machine, move away from it and let others know its available for use. Don't just stand there talking to your buddy when someone is looking like they want to use it.

-This may be more of a personal thing, but wear appropriate clothes that are appropriate for your body. Don't wear anything that will become see-through after sweating.

-Don't carry around your gym bag, it takes up so much space.

-Be aware of the flow of traffic... don't stand in the middle of a doorway!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Ditto to most everything that has already been said, especially the wiping down of equipment after you use it. A few others of mine:

1. It's not a bar. Pick up a one night stand elsewhere. On this same note, it's not a social club to hang out with your friends and chit chat either. If you want to chit chat with your buddies, do it somewhere out of the way and not on the equipment or in the walkways around the equipment. If your gym doesn't have a lounging area or smoothie bar, there really isn't a place for chit chat in the gym.

2. Watch your form. This is probably because I'm a trainer, but it literally hurts me to see people using bad form and risking an injury. I'm there to workout or take care of my clients and don't want to have to watch you so I can perform first aid when you hurt yourself.

3. Weight benches are not your coffee table. Yes, carry your water with you, but set it on the floor out of the walkway and not on the weight bench you aren't using. The rest of us do plan to use it.

4. Don't spend your entire time in the gym in one area. A) As stated above, others do want to use that piece of equipment too. B) You don't want to be the "crazy cardio lady" or "muscled up meathead" who isn't really helping their overall health.

5. Relax. Yes, people will casually glance at you, but unless you act weird, they won't really notice anything about you. If you are freaked out about people watching you and let it show, then you act weird and people will watch you more. So, if someone makes eye contact, smile and enjoy your workout. We're not really staring at you, we just have to look at something while we're working out and sometimes you will be in our line of sight. We aren't going to notice you unless you are doing something to draw attention to yourself. (BTW, this one is thrown in here more for the people who feel self conscious going to the gym then for anything you might do that breaks gym etiquette rules, but a lot of new gym-goers feel self conscious, especially after reading on sites like this about the oddities we sometimes see in the gym because they think everyone there will notice them and make fun of them either in their head or online. Just want to make sure that you know that when most people are in the gym, they are too focused on their own workout to notice you, so don't be self conscious.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    All that above, and most importantly - enjoy yourself and the process of getting fit!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bring a towel...never want to leave the equipment sweaty for the next person to use.

Best advice, really gross to deal with someone else's ick! Don't sit and gab on the machines, work sets with folks waiting.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    First, always wipe off the equipment after you use it. If your gym doesn't provide antibacterial wipes, bring some, because it's really disgusting to use a machine after someone else and find it all sweaty. Second, the gym isn't a living room - don't sit on a piece of equipment for 20 minutes if you're not actively using it. And try to keep the grunting to a minimum...I know there's physical exertion involved, but if you sound like you're undergoing the Spanish Inquisition, it might be a good idea to take the workout down a notch. :wink:

Guys do love that grunting thing! Good thing women do the child birthing!
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't put perfume/colonge on right before you workout. For me, when doing cardio, my sense of smell becomes heightened and I've literally had to move to another machine because a guy got on the one beside me and had just put colonge on. Looks like everyone else has hit the highlights :)

Have fun and good luck!
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    wow!! thank you so much!!! :) I will def. bring my own towel !! :) Thank you so much for all the tips and information..I will use it! :) I feel much better about going now. !!! I can't wait till Monday! :)
  • lamorte
    lamorte Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As a 17 year employee of the gym here is what works best :

1. Have your I.D. out and ready ( even if we know you )
    2. Bring a towel to wipe up your sweat after using anything
    3. 30 min limit on cardio during peak hours ( off peak , as long as you like when others are not around )
    4.Women - Leave the makeup and attitude at home, your at the gym
    5. Men - leave the cologne at home and use deoderant, your at the gym
    6. Don't "love yourself' too much in the mirrors, it looks narcisstic
    7. Always, always,always...rerack your weights, no one like a cluttered gym
    8. If it's to heavy for you to put down softly, use lighter weight
    9. Don't bang the weight stacks on selectorized equipment
    10. If there is no soap in the showers, don't rip the dispenser off the wall...just let the front desk know and we will refill
    11. You bring reading materials, take them with you when you leave, not all over the floor where you just did cardio for 30 mins.
    12. Wear proper gym attire, no flip flops, it's a safety thing
    13. Be polite to others that may not know their way around the gym, help them and use the staff , that' what we are here for
    14. DON"T SPIT IN THE DRINKING FOUNTAIN !
    15. DON"T BLOW YOUR NOSE IN THE SHOWERS / SINKS !
    16. DON"T SPIT IN THE POOL !
    17.Limit cell phone use, we don't care about your conversation
    18. If your gym has a aerobics room and there is a sign that says " please do not enter while class is in session" ...don't enter.
    19. Men ( or women ) don't be a " lurcher " when women are in the yoga room ( seriously , why do I even have to metion this )
    20. HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    For personal training.. Don't be afraid to speak up! They may be professionals, but their also human... and if you don't like something or are uncomfortable with something, they can change it for you. Also, make sure that you and your trainer "click".. your not going to get much out of your sessions if you don't get along and can't trust the person.

For general gym etiquette, most people have hit that right on the nose. Always clean up after yourself and make sure you bring a lock for the lockers(if your gym has lockers).
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    wipe machines down.

dont hog machines if youre not actually using them properly. The amount of times ive been waiting to go on a machine, and the person on it is just half heartedly doing the odd rep, then resting, or resting several minutes then starting then stopping again. Its really annoying if its the only machine of its type in the gym. Do what you can then get off and let someone else have a go.

dont stink