Farting

Options
'Cause I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue...so many foods give me a lot of intestinal gas. And gravity being what it is.... The OTC remedies do very little (simethicone). If I'm alone it's never a problem, of course, but if I'm at work or in public, it sometimes gets challenging to constantly find someone on whom to pin the stench.

Just curious if there are any other remedies (besides the obvious...stop eating those foods) or if I should just do nothing and keep the music on.

Replies

• Geordiegal08
    Geordiegal08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    "Wherever you may be, let your wind go free. Church or chapel, let it rattle!" (A wise woman once taught me this!)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Fennel tea, works for me even if I've eaten kale :D
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It's carbs for me. They cause stink.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »

That's a bit drastic for someone who just has the toots!

• scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Fennel seeds or tea. Peppermint tea.

Exercise and stretching. Yoga is a good one. Lie on your back and hug your knees into your chest will help get them out.

If you believe in reflexology points the digestive system is in the middle of your foot so you can massage that.

Work out your triggers. Bigger portions might cause more problems. My husband has IBS and bread and cheese trigger it but only on certain types and amounts.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »

Maybe. But she said "so many foods" give her gas. That gives an overview of foods that are the worst triggers for many people. She doesn't have to jump right in and avoid all of them, but it might be helpful in providing ideas about which ones to limit.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Maybe. But she said "so many foods" give her gas. That gives an overview of foods that are the worst triggers for many people. She doesn't have to jump right in and avoid all of them, but it might be helpful in providing ideas about which ones to limit.

Fair enough.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Beano! :) Just kidding. I have no idea if that even works or not but that's the first thing that popped into my head.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Get a dog?

you-mean-youve-been-blaming-me-for-your-farts-this-whole-time-dog-meme.jpg
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Flatulence is caused by fermenting undigested food in your digestive tract. everyone passes a certain amount of it each day. If you are passing more gas than you think might be normal try adding some pre and probiotics to your diet. You may just not have the microbiome in you gut to properly deal with the food. You also might want to discuss this with your Doctor.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Thank you!!!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut down on fiber, and take an Enzymedica Digest Gold with every meal.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I find doctors to be pretty clueless on this issue. I do take probiotics. It's kind-of a familial thing too (my brother and I have had some righteous contests!). I'd love to get the underwear that turns your fart smell into peppermint. Then I can just tell everyone I chew a lot of gum. :blush:
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Under 20gr of carbs a day will mostly eliminate the farts.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If crop dusting isn't an option you can always opt for honesty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Ul0qSQgeA
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I honestly think we should strive to have society (by raising kids) to be completely fine with passing gas. People make such a big deal about it. They giggle, they laugh, they get embarrassed, they make fun at it in movies, shows. I don't understand at all what is so funny...

And I'm not super old, I'm 23. It has never been funny. It's natural, and normal, and people make it seem like it's...something bad/something to laugh about....? I just don't understand...

Ha!!! I like what Jim Carrey did in that "Liar Liar" movie. We all should just exlaim, "oh, that was me" to de-sensitize society about flatulence. Or more realistically, a polite "excuse me from an early age, much like they teach children when they sneeze.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cumin, anise, dill and fennel.
  • muscledavis
    muscledavis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yup what shadowfox said. Try some probiotics, you can even get them in a chewy candy form. That helped for me, but then I stopped taking them and the farts came back to haunt me. :'(